Funds $17 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

16%

Author Topic: learning japanese just for the sake of readin/watchin raws?  (Read 19088 times)

Offline Mizuhana

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
  • uh... hi!
    • View Profile
Re: learning japanese just for the sake of readin/watchin raws?
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »
Well, this topic is a bit dead, but I'm here looking for untranslated manga in order to improve my japanese. And know a bit more the community too. My english is not very good, but i'm trying my best in this language too.   :hi:

Offline misternimon

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2018, 01:52:21 AM »
I'm going the other way with it, learning Japanese by reading raw manga.  Not sure if it's working or not, but it is at least fun.   ^ ^

Offline DashaCluch

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
learning japanese just for the sake of readin/watchin raws
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
Wottyouname whereyoucumfromm youpaydinkforme I consider as basically sufficient to maintain a decent conversation  so why trouble yourself with ThaiLao Laothai and Koratthailao ?

Offline Shichiyoru

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
How's your progress?

I'm translating stuff now

Offline KuroSeijin

• J-Starter
  • I'm currently studying Kanji Right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2017, 12:07:18 AM »
Well, learning Japanese is easier if you know Chinese/Korean. The grammar is totally different from English... Japanese people who try learning English say that English is a lot harder to learn than Japanese (I agree with this statement). Meanings that can be conveyed in Japanese is also usually much deeper than in English.

Basically, I learned Japanese for this exact reason and so that I could play JP games raw.

How's your progress?

Offline Shichiyoru

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2017, 02:12:50 PM »
Well, learning Japanese is easier if you know Chinese/Korean. The grammar is totally different from English... Japanese people who try learning English say that English is a lot harder to learn than Japanese (I agree with this statement). Meanings that can be conveyed in Japanese is also usually much deeper than in English.

Basically, I learned Japanese for this exact reason and so that I could play JP games raw.

Offline Eric_krisna

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »
kanji and radicals, how much i need to know to pass N3 level ?
since my native language is not japanese nor english. but im confident enough at my memorization skill.
maybe some guide or link pls.
 :huh:

Offline soraizen

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2017, 02:33:48 AM »
Thank god I know enough Japanese to read RAWs and play Jap games with little problem

Offline Karaluna

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2017, 04:31:35 AM »
What should a bewbie like me do to at least get familiar with Japanese because I am tired waiting for the translation for the scantalation. I want to read raw manga and hopefully live there for a while. I love the jApenese culture and the kimonos

Offline mrbeo1208

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »
It's definitely harder than English and other Latin languages.  :p!ssed:

Offline timothywhizz

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2016, 06:05:07 AM »
 Actually i think that japanese is hard, harder than english if you dont like to learn language, but you can try to learn japanese if you want to learn other language. me too i just learn japanese for the sake of readin and watchin raws anime manga and novel
 :stabby:

Offline Lnlover

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »
If you ask me it's much harder to learn than english

Offline emmy

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »
I'm trying to learn but with work and lack of will
  I end up stopping in the process. Whish I had more drive.
Oh well I'll try again tomorrow.
 :huh:

Offline Othinus

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2016, 08:31:20 PM »
Actually learning Japanese is hard like learning English. . . .  :ronin:

Offline crimsonex

• J-Starter
  • HKer who lived in Tokyo and now in the UK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »
Yeah, so I guess people from outside Japan learn Japanese for the sake of manga, anime, j-music, or light novels. I myself tried to learn Japanese self-teaching, but failed. Miserably. Its best that I find a class to learn Japanese, cause like, I plan on moving there one day.

P.S. Do not learn Japanese by self teaching methods. Way harder.
Also, is it true that you need at least 2-10 years to learn the language, plus 1 year in like....using it in a real conversation to learn the dialect?

I actually self-learned Japanese for 1.5 year until I started taking course and by then I already achieved N3 level apparently (my Japanese teacher told me so). You can self-learn but you need to know the right way to do it. I listened to Japanese radio and copied down what the personalities were saying, word by word.

A friend of mine self-taught entirely and passed N1 too.

Offline crimsonex

• J-Starter
  • HKer who lived in Tokyo and now in the UK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
Hahahahaha no way! That was EXACTLY the reason I wanted to learn Japanese. I got hold of the magazine after a long halt of publication but no one cared to translate it! I thought "maybe I should learn Japanese so I don't have to rely on someone any more..." Now I can read and write Japanese without help and I am so happy about it!!

Offline Kaibun

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2015, 05:06:05 PM »
 I started learning japanese mostly for video games and my whole translating job. But now I'm watching all sort of things, from reading raw manga and light novels to watching japanese idol shows. It's great being able to play RPG's in japanese, after all.

Offline armegetton

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2015, 06:31:49 AM »
Been "studying" japanese for more than a year. Still a complete scrub though.

But one day, anime, LN, and games will be doable.
Hopefully.

Currently using textfugu and the anki flash cards.

Offline HotPantsu

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2015, 07:44:14 AM »
I started studying Japanese around a year ago(I had the option to either learn Chinese,Korean or Japanese)
I didn't regret my decision it comes really handy ^^ I'm about to take the first JLPT.
The kanji can be so hard sometimes tho.  :cant-reach:

Offline ririiiko

• J-Starter
  • Crushing hard on 2D characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »
I have been watching anime for almost a full 10 years (on top of animes, I do watch variety shows every now and then), and my experience is that, along the way, I just naturally learn new Japanese words. I am pretty sure that my Japanese isn't accurate but I have no problems understanding raws animes. However, when it comes to reading, I guess it will be pretty tough, since there are many different Japanese characters. But I believe if you were to learn the characters while reading your raw manga you will get it really fast ! And thats what i am doing now. I have only started off with Hiragana and I tried reading a manga with really simple Japanese words (you could start of with a pure  school life manga). Read it over and over again, it helps pretty well.

Offline ilovebhong

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2012, 11:36:13 AM »
I'm Korean and I'm lucky that I learned Hanja as I grew up, because now I recognize all different kinds of kanji whenever I read. The only problem for me was that I had to relearn a lot of it because the Japanese also have the kunyomi meanings to Kanji as well as onyumi -_-

Offline yjdragoon

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
That's what I did as well, I bought myself a japanese-chinese translation book with most of the basic japanese vocabulary covered.

Now i can read nearly half of the book if i'm patient enough to get thru them slowly
and the rest of the ones i don't know, which is usually kanji, i just guess the words around the drawing and double check when the scans are out

Offline Katya

• J-Addict
  • Renommée: 9
  • Cookie Monters taking over the world using Bax!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
Zkanji... I must give this program a try. Right now, my kanji is a little limited to furigana. There are so many written works I'm interested in (manga/novels/etc.) that don't have furigana, so it's a bit frustrating when coming across a kanji I don't understand.

And to answer the question: No, I don't think it's strange at all to learn Japanese for the sake of reading manga. It's always fun to learn something new and, if learning another language helps you to better understand the things you love (reading raw manga and or watching your fave anime/dramas without subs), I'm all for it =D

Yep, I get ya... because of that same problem I went looking for ways to increase my knowledge and stumbled across this dictionary, its really great... it even has were you can quiz yourself on words and individual Kanji.... I definitely recommend you try it!  :XD:

:okaeri:
This is a very useful program, I think this is better than Microsoft's version input pad.

Many THANKS  :yay:

Your welcome, I'm glad that I was able to be of some help!  :pachipachi:

Offline Sakayume

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »
Zkanji... I must give this program a try. Right now, my kanji is a little limited to furigana. There are so many written works I'm interested in (manga/novels/etc.) that don't have furigana, so it's a bit frustrating when coming across a kanji I don't understand.

And to answer the question: No, I don't think it's strange at all to learn Japanese for the sake of reading manga. It's always fun to learn something new and, if learning another language helps you to better understand the things you love (reading raw manga and or watching your fave anime/dramas without subs), I'm all for it =D

Offline chaosranger

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
but there's this really good dictionary that will let you draw in the kanji and will tell you what it means.... if anyone is interested its called Zkanji and it's free.
:okaeri:
This is a very useful program, I think this is better than Microsoft's version input pad.

Many THANKS  :yay:

Offline Katya

• J-Addict
  • Renommée: 9
  • Cookie Monters taking over the world using Bax!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2012, 06:51:56 AM »
I started learning Japanese because I was told it was one of the hardest languages to learn, and I'm a person who likes a challenge, so I jumped right into it!!!  :banzai: I didn't find it quite that difficult to learn, though it wasn't the fist language I've attempted so that could have had a part to play in that feeling. Really, so long as you know the grammar and are able to conjugate the verbs and adjectives, its easy to figure out what your reading. If you've got a good dictionary then its basically like reading English, I mean you don't know every word in English and I'm sure everyone's had to look up a word to make sense of sentence. So if you went about it with that kind of mindset I'm sure that you would also find learning, well, any language to be a simple matter.

Manga, anime, and novels became a reason to further my knowledge later. I've watched anime since I was 5yrs old, but I really got into manga and light novels after trying to learn Japanese because I was told that it was a great way to learn faster if you were going the self taught route.

When it come to furigana I have no trouble reading at all, (thought I've only been learning for six months) as with Kanji there are still quite a few that I don't know.... but there's this really good dictionary that will let you draw in the kanji and will tell you what it means.... if anyone is interested its called Zkanji and it's free.

Ah, as a side note, I didn't really find the polite speech all that weird or annoying. Japanese is really direct, and based on the words one chooses to use you can get a good idea of what that person is feeling towards you or the topic in general. Nothing is hidden, at least in my experience. Most people always say (or at least the people I've come across) that the Japanese are cold and reserved and tend not to show a lot of emotion, but I think that's totally wrong. After learning the language and seeing how the words are used, I found the language to be quite emotional and easily explained the depth to which they feel towards something. I quite enjoyed the language and now prefer to read and watch their media in the original language for that experience that is lost when translated.

Well, that's all I really wanted to say on the matter, so peace out yeah?  :okaeri:

Offline vaiowega

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 189
  • 100% Recyclable
    • View Profile
    • One Piece Trad
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
I don't think it's harder to learn. I'd say it's slower, because you don't have a teacher and can't improve along with other students by helping each other.

You can only rely on yourself and books or websites. It takes time and like everything you do at home: there's always something funnier to do whereas in class, well, you're in class, and maybe you even pay for it.

As for me, when I took one year of japanese, it was just the basics: simplified grammar and learning the hiragana/katakane and a pair of kanji. But I think it's basically something you can do at home, by yourself.

I think the importance of getting a true teaching comes later, with the advanced grammar, the kanji learning techniques, idiomatic expressions, etc...

Offline phamminhquan2002

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
i'm also learning japanese now! for me, i learn japanese just to be able to join a scan group!!!::)))

Offline Peltast

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »
I know I did.

Offline Ju-da-su

• J-Recruit
  • Renommée: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »
...I learned Japanese initially out of my own interest. Manga and anime are my interest, so...meh, I don't think it's unusual. Who cares why you would want to learn it? If you want to learn, you learn. Also, it's always easier to learn when it's out of your own interest, IMO. .-.