Funds $5 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

5%

Author Topic: Recommend an Obscure Movie  (Read 27402 times)

Offline vewo

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend an Obscure Movie
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2016, 05:29:11 PM »
The Shadow (1994)

Based on an American superhero from 1931 pulp fiction character created by Walter B. Gibson
Directed by Russell Mulcahy and starring Alec Baldwin, Ian McKellen, John Lone, Penelope Ann

Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Offline SmartyD

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
Truman by Cesc Gay
good watch if you can find it

Also Reservoir Dogs by Quentin Tarantino (or any film by tarantino)
Dont know if this is obscure enough though

Offline notspecified

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2016, 07:16:38 AM »
Time Crimes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timecrimes

Primer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)

Both are pretty good time travel movies.  If you have any interest in time travel stories, give these two a try.

Offline Othinus

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2016, 08:46:37 PM »
Still waiting for DeadPool awesomeness.  :rapeist:

Offline BlockHead

• J-Hardcore
  • Renommée: 11
  • Don't mind me
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »
Dark City Sci-Fi/Thriller
A man struggles with memories of his past, including a wife he cannot remember, in a nightmarish world with no sun and run by beings with telekinetic powers who seek the souls of humans.

:huh: Strange but worth it. I advise to watch the movie several times to pinpoint all the details. It was cleverly made.

Offline Eawen

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2014, 12:49:36 PM »
Ok, I'm personally attached to this movie because I've seen it as a kid and thought it was a dream. But when realizing it was in fact, not, I've spent years searching for it (didn't know the name) and as little famous as it is, believe me, it wasn't easy. (but I did it  :whoosh:) So here it is:

Paperhouse (1988)
It tells the story of a 11-year-old girl, Anna, who is bed-ridden because of a disease. To overcome boredom, she starts drawing a blue house. And then she saw it in her dream. At first having kind of fun with that, as she adds stuff in her drawing, things became less and less controllable...

I really love how this movie builds its atmosphere and even the concept of the movie is awesome for me. So yeah, I do recommend it for everyone!

Offline BlanketTard

• Don't forget to wash
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Starter
  • Renommée: 1
  • The mongoose wants you.
    • View Profile
    • My gaming company
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
I am going to suggest the movie Django Unchained. Despite the controversy about the movie the characters are well developed and memorable, you really get in touch with what the characters are doing.
The movie is very immersive and I would suggest it to anyone.
(Would explain more but I don't have enough time)

Offline Jump3R

• Shiroyasha|燃えてきたぜ!!|FanBoy/FB|OVER NINE THOUSA~ND posts!|Totally Off The Wall And Crazy (Totwac)|Dragon of the 9 Threads of Spam|Itsumo|Gyarakushia|Jyan|Wiseass| Shogun Obvious|Sweater|Sir Douchebag
  • Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • Renommée: 153
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2014, 12:46:27 AM »
@Luckmonth
You see, depending on what you seek there are dozens of sites I could recommend...
Subbed? Original? Mp4? Avi? Blue ray? 3D? Old? New? You should specify what you want, but first try to just type "title year free download" in Google and check few sites yourself xd
Also,there are plenty of plugins to download from certain sites...
So you know - seek and you shall find xd

Offline Luckmonth

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
Anyone know site movie download good?

Offline kiklap

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »
Drag Me To Hell, The Beast (1975)  :hi:

Offline kuroichi

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 02:05:35 AM »
Easy.

Surf Nazis Must Die...

Offline mythicowow

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2013, 11:05:12 PM »
Martyrs
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029234/?ref_=sr_1
Twisted, disturbing, though provoking, awesome.

Offline timeforplanB

• J-Highlander
  • Renommée: 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2013, 10:02:46 PM »
Tideland. It's about the adventures of a young girl who loses both her parents through ODs. She pretty much just hangs around their neighborhood, which is quite barren as there are only three people living in it as far as the movie shows, while her dead father just rots away in a chair in their home.

Offline SeraphimAU

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »
Brick (2005)
Directed by Rian Johnson (Looper, The Brothers Bloom, few Breaking Bad eps) and starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/

It's a drama/mystery about a guy (JGL) who finds his ex-girlfriend dead, and infiltrates a high-school crime ring to find out who did it. It's set in a sort of noir/detective style and is brilliantly written.

A definite must-see imo :)

Offline tofuninja

• J-Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »
Sunshine Cleaning.
Film's about two sisters get into the crime scene clean up business. I'm bad at summaries, so here's one from IMDb:
Rose Lorkowski (Amy Adams) finds herself a single mother attempting to support her son Oscar (Jason Spevack) and her unreliable sister Norah (Emily Blunt) while working a mundane job as a maid. Once the head cheerleader in school with plenty of prospects, Rose now has little to show for her years, and while she still sees the former lead football player (Steve Zahn), it is little more than a despondent affair. When Oscar is expelled from public school, Rose takes a job as a bio-hazard crime-scene cleaner to help pay for a private education, and brings Norah on to help in her steadily growing business. As the sisters work to clean up the messes left behind by the chaotic lives of others, they must learn to reconcile their own differences and overcome a troubled past if they hope to prosper in their newfound venture. - The Massie Twins.

The Beginners
Oliver (Ewan McGregor) deals with the death of his father while trying to start a relationship with a woman he met at a party, Anna (Mélanie Laurent), who has her own fair share of father issues too.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.
Dr. Alfred Jones (Ewan McGregor) is hired by a wealthy Yemini sheikh (Amr Waked) to introduce salmon fishing into Yemen. Dr. Jones is hired through financial advisor Harriet Chetwode-Talbot (Emily Blunt).

All of 'em are romantic comedies. Oh boy. :T  I guess I should give one more non-romantic comedy movie then.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
This is a spoof/comedy. It's a parody of Hong Kong action films and most of the characters are added in with help from green screen. The voices are dubbed over, hence you should expect the voice to be out of synch with the characters' lip movmements. There are a few fight scenes, don't worry :D

Offline Berserkpete

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2012, 03:47:35 AM »
Lik Wong (1991)

A young man with superhuman strength is incarcerated at a prison run by corrupt officials and seeks to use his martial arts to clean up the system.

Over the top action/gore/comedy a cult classic in my book.

Offline fluppi

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2012, 04:27:58 AM »
Hmm, I'm not sure whether they are obscure but I'll have a go.
Well, there's "Mary and Max", a touching stop-motion film about two pen-pals: a little girl from australia and a middle aged man from new yorker.  I wouldn't wanna tell much of the plot in case you gonna watch but it got plenty of dark humour and made me laught quite a bit. Yet I wouldn't call it a comedy as the overall atmosphere is rather heavy.

If you're into stop-motion you might also like the czech "Little Otik" which had a really nice concept about a desperate childless couple adopting a tree which escalates. :P It also has some slight reference to the fairy tale "kolobok".

A more normal movie would be "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind". It starries Jim Carrey which make me stumble upon it in the first place. Don't expect any comedy though.
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!
Overall the atmosphere is rather melancholic.

Last but not least there is "Survive style 5+" from japan. The film consists of 5 rather loosely intertwining plots
. The movie is rather bizarre and I couldn't get any profound message from it but I found it highly entertaining and so did most of the people I've shown it to.

One more: It just came out and is not available on dvd yet but I really look forward to "dead sushi" :P

Offline Chibielf

• J-Recruit
  • Renommée: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
ummm, im surprised i didnt see older comedies listed like these:

Kick
Stars Russell Page as a rugby player who wants to be a ballet dancer. This has comedy, romance and fun.
It was a movie i randomly found on tv once and havent seen it on dvd - its an Australian film, im not sure when it will be on again but i did tape it on vhs.
My Best Friend is a Vampire
Stars Robert Sean Leonard as a teen that gets bitten by a vampire but hes a day vampire and just a normal guy trying to get his dream girl.
This was a movie i watched so much when i was little, i watch it over and over along with some of the others listed. They released it on dvd.
Mannequin
Andrew McCarthy & Kim Cattrall stars in a movie about a girl who wanted out of the past and into the future to find true love. The artist(McCarthy) ends up creating his true love a mannequin(Cattrall) but only he can see her come to life!
This movie is one of the great classics - its funny and pure magic :D
Love Bites
Stars Adam Ant as a goddie vampire sound asleep in a coffin behind Kendel's appartment. He wakes up and they fall in love, and with that he wants to become a modern man who can re-humanize himself.
This movie was sooo much fun X3 i found it randomly once and taped it on a VHS, sadly this has yet to come on dvd...yet.
Teen Wolf
Stars Michael J Fox as a guy who just doesn't have it all, until he turns wolf. Now everyone in town has their eyes on him.
This is just one of those clasic movies that came out the same time as my best friend is a vampire. I watched them both.
Just One of the Guys
Stars Joyce Hyser as one of the hotest girls in school who doesn't think she is taken seriously when it comes to writing an article for the school newspaper. She thinks that if she was a guy that her article would make it, so what does she do? Transfers to a new school, gets a hair cut, guys clothes, oh and stuffs her pants with a sock. As a guy she has a crazy time falling in love with another guy!
This movie was sooo funny! i was in one of those stages where i liked cross-dressing stuff :3 so this movie was perfect, and i think there after i ended up realizing i love BL.
Princess Bride
Stars Cary Elwes as a dashing farm boy who only wants his true love. Even if he has to risk his life through a tale of adventure, comedy and romance.
i love the lead actor, he also stared in Robinhood Men in Tights :3
Tokyo Raiders
This is a chinese film but since im not a fan of cantonese and saw it with the english dub, i liked the dub instead CX
But anyways, this is my list film recommendation. It's about a run away bride, a stranger and a private investigator who meet by accident and end up trying to stop a mobster.
This was a funny film and not just bec. it was dubbed, i liked the story and some of the guys were good looking :3

I hope you all liked my list~! thanks for reading.

Offline EcstaticElectricity

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2012, 09:27:47 PM »
YES on Big Nothing. Even though I'm not exactly a David Schwimmer fan, he and Simon Pegg were excellent. It starts off slow but picks up rapidly after the septic tank scene...
Also, the most realistic portrayal of a call center I've seen:

Offline itano123

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2012, 09:04:41 PM »
i would suggest Big Nothing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Nothing

Offline EcstaticElectricity

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
Oh, I've got a few

Another Peter Jackson pre-LOTR classic: Dead Alive
"I kick ass for the Lord!"
Ever wonder what happened to Alex Winter, the other half of Bill and Ted? Of course not, but he made a pretty off the wall comedy in Freaked:
And Rubin and Ed. That bizarre interview with Letterman where Crispin Clover seemed strung out...
Was actually a promo for a movie no one saw for some reason. Warning, this cat can eat a whole watermelon

Offline totalvictory

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
perfume story of a murderer. Gave me goosebumps when i saw the perfume making scene

Yes, this was better than I thought it would be.

Offline fixagel

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 04:53:06 AM »
I would recomend 'Los Cronocrimenes' (Time Crimes) is a Spanish movie about a guy that travel in time, i will just say that if you enjoy mistery, thriller, and time travel, this movie wont rock your world but it will be a pleasant and worthy ride, while it last.

I will try to sumarize the start, a simple guy who witness the attack of a woman and discovered by the aggresor, it begin the chase... he hide in a machine that happend to be a time travel device, now back in the past, can he prevent the attack and save the girl?

Now now it may sound silly some parts, but i can tell you this from the first minute is all about the plot and everything is explained.

DO not watch the trailers, it will spoil the movie.
Instead try see the rewievs rating % if you wonder if is worth watching.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/

Btw i had to watch it 2 times just to make sure that everything was there.

Offline hula123

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »
perfume story of a murderer. Gave me goosebumps when i saw the perfume making scene

Offline TheAyanamiRei

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »
If you like quirky Asian romance films, or just like unusual romantic comedies, then you HAVE to watch "I'm a cyborg, but that's okay". You can find it on Netflix. It's about a woman who believes herself to be a Cyborg, believes that she can only get energy from batteries and not food, and other fun things. She is checked into a mental hospital where we usually see things from her delusions, and sometimes the delusions of others

Offline themisanthropik1

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »
   A movie I had to watch in highschool was called "Johnny got his Gun". A very dark movie about a man who is injured during world war I and is kept alive by machines. He has no eyes, mouth, ears, hands, legs, or really any way of communicating to the outside world. Very political and hard to come by, Johnny got his Gun was originally a book by Dalton trumbo and I believe the movie was directed by him. The whole thing is rather trippy because the majority of it is flash backs in the mans head as he lives in a hospital on a bed. Scared the hell out of me when I first saw it actually if only for the fact it could actually happen. If you are in the mood for a highly politicized anti war movie then check it out.

Offline totypunk

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
a really good dark indie movie is: let the right one in! is based in the book with the same name! there is an american version: let me in; but the original is soooo much better.  its about vampires, not your twilight or anything like that, a much better obscure and engaging tale! its about a misfit boy who befriends a little girl who happens to be a nasty little vampire. 

Offline marshal99

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »
Il labirinto del fauno (Pan's Labyrinth)

Kind of a war movie crossed with fantasy. It comes down to the girl trying to cope with her harsh surroundings by using her extensive imaginary ability. Pretty serious stuff, but the ties between reality and fantasy are very creatively made, and the story itself is high quality.

Pan's Labyrinth was hardly obscure though , nominated for 6 oscars , won 3. Fantastic movie.

My recommendation for obscure movie , not truly obscure but fairly underrated

Japanese movie "Yomigaeri"

When people who has died in the small town of Aso, Japan, starts turning up alive , an welfare inspector from the government is sent to the town to investigate.

Sounds like a horror movie but it's not. For those who dislike Sappy movies ,then this movie is not for you.

Offline pfffffff

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »
 Ah , so far just about every single film that has been recommended is known among cinephiles ... so i'm going in deep and bringing something
truly obscure to the table ... the works of Wojciech Jerzy Has , particularly The hour Glass Sanatorium & The Saragossa Manuscript.

Neither are particularly fast paced or disturbing for that matter and the only people I see them appealing to are fans of slow atmospheric surreal films.

Here are the links for those who wanna know more:

http://www.criticker.com/film/Sanatorium_pod_klepsydra/
http://www.criticker.com/film/The_Saragossa_Manuscript/

Offline test12345

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »

Ikiru

It's an old Japanese black and white movie by Akira Kurosawa who's probably most known for "The Seven Samurai".

It's about an old bureaucrat in Tokyo who gets diagnosed with stomach cancer and his final quest to find meaning in his life.

I don't think it's everyones taste since it's more of a character story but I liked it a lot, especially for the beautiful and yet sad ending which I won't spoil.  :banzai:

Ikiru is actually loosely based on the novella "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" by Leo Tolstoy