Funds $115 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

101%

Author Topic: Secondary FAQ- For Dummies Edition.  (Read 6655 times)

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 82
  • its hard work being lazy
    • View Profile
Secondary FAQ- For Dummies Edition.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »
 :hi:
I'm Mint. I'm probably being a douche but due to an increase in visible presented, Clearly stupid questions being asked in the shoutbox despite most of the information needed to avoid them being already available HERE I have Decided to write this FAQ. it is Intended  as a companion to the original work of Dragonspell
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!
But seriously though, I shouldn't even have to do this. jokes and memes about stupidity are funny(and i do love funny stuff)... but actual stupidity and ignorance isn't. I don't mean to insult anybody's intelligence but I'm tired of having to explain the same
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!
over and over again.
so before this becomes an angry rant lets get started.

Quote (selected)
noun (plural forums)
1a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:
we hope these pages act as a forum for debate
 an Internet site where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings; a message board.
2chiefly North American a court or tribunal.
3 (plural fora /ˈfɔːrə/) (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business.
Forum as defined by oxforddictionaries.com

Quote (selected)
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.[1] They differ from chat rooms in that messages are at least temporarily archived. Also, depending on the access level of a user or the forum set-up, a posted message might need to be approved by a moderator before it becomes visible.
Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; e.g. a single conversation is called a "thread", or topic.
A discussion forum is hierarchical or tree-like in structure: a forum can contain a number of subforums, each of which may have several topics. Within a forum's topic, each new discussion started is called a thread, and can be replied to by as many people as so wish.
Depending on the forum's settings, users can be anonymous or have to register with the forum and then subsequently log in in order to post messages. On most forums, users do not have to log in to read existing messages.
Internet forum as defined by Wikipedia
I assume that most people already know this so putting this here is probably adding to my douche factor but we still get a lot of questions like
Quote (selected)
whats winny club and where do i put posts in the other section, not sure how to really use this site
Quote (selected)
Is there a wait system for newbies?
Quote (selected)
Hey guys I can't seem to look up any of the light novels I want to read. What should I do?
Quote (selected)
hi..i dont know how to post here..can someone teach me.. I cant find any thing to post
so there's obviously some people who need additional guidance. given that a lot of people here are not native English speakers I am willing to forgive many questions that i would otherwise find retarded(and not the Black Eyed Peas way) but still. the way to use a forum remains the same no matter what language dammit

aright so basic breakdowns for dummies er I mean noobs.
forum= the whole site... basically
Board= a subsection of the forum dedicated to a certain type of topic (within the broad theme that the forum is about. in our case manga/anime and general Japanese culture) list of our local boards is available HERE
thread= a specific topic under a board. can be started by any (registered)user
Admins= gods of the forum. anger at your own risk
Moderators(mods)= responsible for smooth operation of the forum (we do the grunt work for the admins like monitoring for spammers and dropping the ban-hammer)
okay so the last two weren't necessary but... like I said... Douche. :wahaha:

Way Too Frequently Asked Questions
okay so my answers are going to seem kind of rude... in keeping with my douchebag theme here.

Quote (selected)
how do I post?

are you serious? OK well if you look at the layout of the thread yo should notice its a top-down message by message view similar to a threaded text message line on your smartphone or like a chatbox or Instant Messaging service so obviously at the bottom of the page there's going to be a little text box at the bottom to enter your message and a button below that that says "Post". Now this is with the quick reply turned on (which is currently the default setting. it can be changed in your preferences). the alternative is the blue bar at the top and bottom of the page that reads
Quote (selected)
REPLY  |   NEW TOPIC  |   NOTIFY  |   MARK UNREAD  |   SEND THIS TOPIC  |   PRINT   
hit reply and you'll get a page with a large textbox for you to type your post in.
Also you may find (current default setting again) that the message order is bottom-up instead of top-down. again, changeable in your preferences. (defaults may be changed so its best to be aware of different scenarios).
was it really that hard to figure out?  :maikka:

Quote (selected)
how do I find "inset manga or light novel etc. here" raws?

okay there's a freaking search box at the top of the page. how could you miss that?  [textbox] [filter] [search button] ...right up top. enter the name/title,  the filter lets you search the entire forum or just the board you're in and I'm sure you know what the "search" button does.  :golddigging:

Quote (selected)
How do I start a new thread?

remember that blue bar i told you about for replying to threads? well in the same locations on the main page of any Board you will find
Quote (selected)
   MARK READ  |   NOTIFY  |   NEW TOPIC  |   POST NEW POLL   
New topic is the obvious choice here.  :maikka:

Quote (selected)
Where should i put my intro?

go to the Forum Community Board and start a new thread. tell us about yourself and why you came here etc. usually (because sometimes the welcoming committee can be preoccupied) someone will come to your thread an say hi/welcome and possibly ask you some questions about yourself. we ask that you kindly converse with such kind people since we care enough to want to talk to you. of course if you're one of those people (most of you are) who don't want to talk to anyone and just get that post in then put a reply in The Introduction Thread (Post Your Intro In This Thread!) (obvious right?).
if you just post "hi, I'm new" and leave then your post/thread will be deleted and you may be warned. repeat offenders and spammers may be banned. see dragonspell's FAQ for details on that. also don't post in someone else's intro thread without having one of your own. that may also end badly for you. we'll make an exception if you already have 25 legit posts.  :yay:

Quote (selected)
I cant find the post/thread that I just made

well obviously A. you did something wrong and it didn't actually post. B. you did something stupid and we deleted it or are moderating you. C. there is a temporary problem with the site preventing your post from being submitted.
in any case, double check that you're not breaking any Rules and try again. :yay:

alright class is over :ABO: that's about it for now. this post will be amended and extended as necessary. if you have any comments, or complaints please post them below so I can ignore them. if you have a legitimate question that is not answered here or in dragonspell's FAQ (<- notice how many time I've linked this?) then post it here and I will provide a legitimate answer.
If you have any difficulty understanding due to English not being your native language then post "can anyone help me with the FAQs in 'your native language'" into the shoutbox and hopefully someone familiar with your language will be available to assist you.
 :ham: :RAAHRAAHRU: :okaeri: pa-e-ting! ganbatte! good luck noobs