Funds $35 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

33%

Author Topic: The "Where are you from?" Thread +  (Read 33114 times)

Offline qazswer

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The "Where are you from?" Thread +
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »
Hey  there, Im from Pakistan ( you've heard about the country right?)Anyway Im a full fledged Pakistani / Asian from all sides of my family. I can speak Urdu, English, understand Punjabi(its a local dialect) and am starting to understand Japanese. The place here is good ( depends how you look at it really), the food is Amazing  :banzai: , parents generally care way too much about your grades  :sob:  and that's about it I guess.  :shy:

Offline tranhieu

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
Er... first off pardon my english, we don't speak english Vietnam so most of my english was picked up during my highschool years and from reading mangas, novels and stuff. Anyways it's quite a nice topic you guys have here. Here's my take:

As mentioned above I'm a Viet, yeah straight viet, inside out, technically (I still doubt that though, coz my hometown is far in the north, somewhere near our border with China and most of my friends don't think I look like a Viet). Was born in the south, raised in the same city, but I don't like my city that much, had it not been for my friends lol.

where I am now? in the Uk, it's my final year (came here for my undergrad), and I'm turning 21 this may btw! a bit old compared to some guys here I know.

talking about culture...ee... can Asian be counted as a culture? I don't have any clear idea about the culture thing though lol. but I guess I'm a mixed between chinese and vietnamese since the viet culture is very close to our neighbor's, so close that I hardly see any difference at all. And I watch chinese/taiwanese drama a lot (besides anime), cpop is my cup of tea (a big Jaychou fan here!). well, that's pretty much everything I can talk about regarding culture stuff. enlighten me if there're actually any parameters to define which culture you belong to.

language? vietnamese and english, though my english sucks. I'm self teaching Japanese now, it has been 2 months and I can read around 60 kanjis already (yay!). hopefully I can tackle a 3 kyu paper in 2 year time.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 82
  • its hard work being lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2012, 02:56:49 AM »
Yup

Offline TheMangaLover

• Lord of the nothingless.
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 26
  • I speak spanish, so be nice if write something bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2012, 02:42:28 AM »
Dominica. The Commonwealth not the republic. It's somewhere earlier in the thread

This dominica?

Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2012, 02:34:24 AM »
Dominica. The Commonwealth not the republic. It's somewhere earlier in the thread

Offline TheMangaLover

• J-Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2012, 02:24:20 AM »
Hot all year round for me

Which country?

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2012, 02:20:51 AM »
Hot all year round for me

Offline TheMangaLover

• J-Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2012, 02:10:37 AM »
I'm in a tropical country, so no season here, and we have all weathers from 0° C to 45 °C, thanks of the thermal floors.
What is a thermal floor? this is:
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2012, 01:56:26 AM »
I guess. Anyone who wants to answer can.

Offline TheMangaLover

• J-Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2012, 01:45:10 AM »
What's the weather like over there?

You are asking me?  :?:

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »
What's the weather like over there?

Offline TheMangaLover

• J-Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 03:03:29 AM »
This a interesting thread why is so dead?

I'm from Colombia, i was born in a city on the borders with in venezuela, but rigth now i live in the capital Bogota, etnicity? well is strange but in Colombia the bloods are very mixed, so is really hard to tell, unless you are from a minority, like native or the few afro comunnitys, i'm catholic, but not a fanatic, very open mind.

Offline soybeanoodle

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »
I am noticing alot of nice topics to read.
And wow, you guys here have so much to say! Very detailed, but I am not so much. >_<
I want to share my intro too abit. Although I'm shy. I'm half british-asian from my parents side / speak fluent cantonese and born in the USA.
Thank you for having me here. :)

Offline yakkumono

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2012, 03:39:44 AM »
I'm from europe - mom is german-polish (slesia), my father north-belgian (lower german). I've lived near Kattowitz (Poland) for some years, then in Germany. a part of my family is in usa (westcoast, middle-west). actuallity i live in Königsstein, not far from Frankfurt/Main.

Offline timeforplanB

• J-Highlander
  • Renommée: 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2012, 12:00:59 AM »
I'm from the Philippines - raised in the city of Manila. As of now I still live here in the country, albeit in a different city up in the mountains. My mom carries a bit of Spanish blood, as well as my dad. Culture-wise, I am 100% Filipino. I can speak Tagalog, English and a little Japanese. I can understand a little Mandarin too. That is all :smile:

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2011, 10:42:45 AM »
Whoa... O.o

Offline amazonas348

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2011, 06:53:08 AM »
Well I was born and raised in Mexico I speak Spanish and (obviously English)

What really stands out of Mexico is its food. Tacos, Coyotas (a type of bread with a sweet filling-google it), Pozole, Menudo, Tamales and a whole lot of things. We normally celebrate Christmas in family and have a lot of fun. I have 7 siblings so with me, my mom and my dad my family consists of 10 people. I´m Catholic as most people over here are. Parties over here are really loud and don´t stop until 4 in the morning, so when your neighbor decides to throw a party you can´t sleep at all. School over here is.... Well the same as everywhere (HELL) but it is easier to cheat on exams here than anywhere else. There are really nice places all over Mexico you can visit. Althought Mexican infraestructure is not that good (actually its pretty bad compared to other countries), it is an excellent place to visit if you like nature.

On the bad side: The governement here sucks and are only concerned about money ( I´ve heard rumors about how some politicians literally have rooms full of money they can´t put on the bank for fear of frauds and other things being discovered) People are brainwashed (its a little insulting to the people but I couldn´t find any other term) since a tender age by some crappy dramas or soap operas or whachamacallit made by a TV group called Televisa. THere is a lot of violence and it is dangerous to even go out the street for fear of being robbed or kidnapped (especially for young girls). Last time they shot a guy that was eating tacos in across the street infront of my house. The guy died.

On the bright side: Well I sure sounded paranoical in my description of the "bad side" but Mexico also has nice things and with the proper precautions you can go out and all of those things.

I´m rather pesismistic but I live in one of the worst parts of the city (violence-wise) In other parts of The city in wich I live you don´t see the "bad side". So... Well I think that´s all.

Offline Mouqer

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2011, 01:16:05 AM »
He
y there  :hi:

I am form denmark where i also where born and rise
 but my bloodline come form germany,polland,danish and scottish
i speak danish, english and german and i undstand a bit japanese

Offline lynn

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2011, 05:17:54 AM »
 :hi: guy... lynn desu~~

i'm was born in Malaysia... a small country in south east asia ( i think some of you didn't know there is country named Malaysia) huhu
but right now i'm in egypt studying medicine here... it's my 3rd year already :)
 i;m back to egypt after the revolution of nation calm down here :)
i'm a malay n we speak malay language but malaysia is multi races n language...
i can speak malay, english n arabic
right now i'm quite obsess to japanese bcoz i'm a big fan of japan idol.. :lovelove:
 hope can know you guys more <3

Offline Asarolt

• Pirate of the Pannonian Sea
  • J-Master
  • Renommée: 13
  • And what a book it was!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
This might not bee the freshest of topics, but the main idea behind it is timeless (i my opinion), so let me tell you a little bit of the place i'm from.

I live on the bottom of the Pannonian Sea, it is quite a flat place, so you can see really far, if not in a town. And to bee more exact, i live in Vajdaság/Vojvodina, Serbia's ethnically most colourful region. And jet even more closer, i live in Temerin (a little town counting about 30.000 souls, and some soulless ones as well), which is 20 km from Novi Sad/Újvidék/Neusatz.
This is the capital of the region, and has been known in the past as the serbian Athen, because it was the cultural capital of the serbs back when it was still part of Austria-Hungary.
The people of this flat region mostly live from agriculture, the tempo of life reflected that fact until not so long ago. Our way of life is currently under construction. The wars of the '90s left quite a scar on our slow way of life. (but that is a subject for someone else, not for me)
As i mentioned, the region is quite ethnically coloured, we have serbs, slovaks, some rysins, hungarians, and many others, usually living quite peacefully together, with mutual respect for one another culture. (most of the jews and swabians from around here were either killed, or they simply went to other countries to escape death, all of this bloodshed thanks to World war II)
I live mostly amongst serbs of all kind.
I myself am considered to be hungarian. My grandfather was born to swabian parents, but they had to keep it a secret once the partisans arrived, so i never learned german (that i consider a pity, in school they mostly focus on grammar, but i learn so much easier by example  :maikka:). But i speak serbian (actually all the languages of the ex Yugoslavia, except for slovenian and macedonian, or did i forget anybody?)/hungarian/english equally well.

Now that i written it down, it has quite a sad vibe to it. Fortunately the reality is different, those are the scars of a region that's been under the rule of many countries under a "short" period of time.
On the bright side, are cuisine is quite divers. Combine serbian food (whit its turkish influence, ah musaka) and hungarian and all the others, and you get quite a banquet!  :relax:
And we even have an Exit to show (the festival). And since this is a place where thoughts of manga and anime roam free, i simply have to mention Technotise: Edit & I. Its a 2009 animated film  that shows a lot of anime influence, and as an addition to that, depicts the balkan mentality in a vivid and funny way.  :yay:

Offline rindtron

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »
Hmm... everyone is from all sorts of different places here. *__*

I was born in Australia, and still am here. My parents were from Cambodia, but my grandparents were from China. I can speak at most, perhaps a handful of words in Cambodian, understand the most useless phrases in Madarin and Cantonese and can speak broken Teo-chiew which is a dialect of Chinese. I can read, write and speak some Japanese, but this is only from learning it at school. xD

Though I don't care about the footy at all, I consider myself more Australian than Chinese. After all, my English is infinite times better than my Chinese, haha. And a lot of people here are a mix of something anyway. :3

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »
How do you say good day in greek?

Offline and618and

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »
I was born in Greece,am currently studying in Canada.I speak Greek,English,and French.

Offline blackvictor

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2010, 01:49:53 AM »
Moonsongrain You have an amazing background

Offline Moonsongrain

• jWizKid
  • J-Hardcore
  • Renommée: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
Mm.... I was born and raised in Canada. My parents, however, were born in Malaysia and my grandparents were born in China. So I'm technically Chinese. My parents are fluent in about 6 languages, including English. Unfortunately, I'm fluent only in English and my Mandarin is almost fluent... I can't understand Mandarin idioms, slang, or complicated phrases.
Um... I'm not religious, but I'm not atheist either. I think more along the lines of "Whether God exists or not, I will still make mostly the same decisions I have been making. Therefore, there is no need to worry about it excessively." I guess that's a "I don't really care" group? (...If there is a name for it, I forgot) However, since my parents are Buddhists, I'm kind of forced to follow Buddhism and the practices.

Yay, me in a nutshell.

Offline hobby_master

• Madao
  • GWR Team
  • J-Overlord
  • Renommée: 116
  • Madao will always be Madao...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2010, 01:48:40 AM »
Just a reminder guys, this isn't an intro thread. Just a thread for people to talk about where they're from, etc. etc. 

For the other other stuff about yourself, make a thread in the forum community.

Offline blackvictor

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
Ah ok. I have something more to say. I hate saint seiya, dragon ball, evangelion and naruto

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2010, 01:56:03 AM »
No i was just sayin... Greek myths... Awesome.

Offline blackvictor

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2010, 11:57:56 PM »
whre are the greeks?

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water