Funds $10 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

11%

Author Topic: The "Where are you from?" Thread +  (Read 31405 times)

Offline Crimson moon

• semi-back...
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 106
  • painting everything in red...
    • View Profile
    • Spirals..
Re: The "Where are you from?" Thread +
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
@gunnil: you seem like a nice person.. Welcome aboard.. :hihi: do you have an intro thread we can visit? :huhh:

@acce-kun: babies know the universal language... They're much smarter than adults.. :rolling: :stickemup: I love that movie... XD

Offline Acce

• Untitled1.txt
  • GWR Team
  • J-Master
  • Renommée: 22
  • I work hard to be able to be lazy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »
(despite being what? 5~6years old? ^^)
I'd say, more like "because being 5~6 yo", since in that age you still pick up languages without even giving it much thought =o

Offline gunnil751

• Ex-med student, still lacking motivation~
  • J-Hero
  • Renommée: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »
 :hi: Hi guys ^^ I just joined but can I post here? ^^

Anyways, I was born in South Korea, and that pretty much means both my parents are Koreans ^^
That being said, I spent more than half my life outside of my homeland xD I've stayed in the states for about 2 years (New Jersey if I remember correctly) and now I live in Belgium, and I'm pretty much going to do my studies here ^^

I've stayed in Belgium for almost 10years now, and thanks to that, I can speak French (well I wouldn't be doing my studies in French otherwise :P) and a little bit of Dutch (I had lessons in high school but I pretty much forgot everything xD I can understand the language pretty fine, but talking is another story)

English is a no-brainer xD The two years I spent in the States must have helped alot (despite being what? 5~6years old? ^^) and I improved my English by joining discussions on the web (forums really are useful when you think about it ^^)

Despite having spent half my life outside of Korea, I can still read and write Korean pretty well, but I guess I won't get the new jokes they're telling nowadays^^ (neologism is a world-wide plague thanks to texting? XD)

I think this pretty much wraps everything up nicely xD See you guys around ^^

Offline Crimson moon

• semi-back...
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 106
  • painting everything in red...
    • View Profile
    • Spirals..
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 12:28:04 AM »
I've been around this forum for so long.. but this is the first time I'm venturing to every thread there is.. xD

hmm.. to answer the question..

Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Offline hobby_master

• Madao
  • GWR Team
  • J-Overlord
  • Renommée: 116
  • Madao will always be Madao...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 05:22:26 AM »
@s02, thanks for the input. It's quite true that almost every country has stereotypes. (japan --> sushi, china --> kung-fu, italy --> pizza, etc. etc.) Of course, that's one of the reasons why I made this thread: to learn what's really like in other countries/cultures.

Born in the GLORIOUS KAZAKHSTAN, raised in the GLORIOUS shithole of RUSSIA - Barnaul.

LOL, I find that line really funny.

thought people may find this interesting:
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Wow, so I'm closer to native indians than Southern Asians? Interesting...

@ Kenjo, I've been to Singapore last summer. I loved the train system (especially the scanning cards, lol) And of course, the ridiculously high fines.  :hahaha:

@acce, yay japanese!!  :banzai:

Offline Acce

• Untitled1.txt
  • GWR Team
  • J-Master
  • Renommée: 22
  • I work hard to be able to be lazy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
First, my apologies to Ryunii, for he asked me where I'm from and I did not tell him. I decided it makes my life too hard to keep it secret so.

-where you are from/born/raised
-where you are now
-what ethnicity/culture you belong to
-what language you typically speak

Offline Kenjo

• Thinking of you....
  • J-Hardcore
  • Renommée: 21
  • Your Simple Average Airhead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 09:17:12 PM »
I born in Jakarta, Indonesia but raise in Singapore in a local school for 10years (during my elementary and middle school) and later move to an International school after some unexpected event for my high school. Well, you can say i have a good idea how life of a local and expact in Singapore are and the draw of being away from your own country is that you dunno anything about your culture when ppl asked you. I went to Japan in Beppu City for my University, it was a great experience even thou i don't get good grades :XD: . Currently, i am back in Singapore searching for job after my operation in HK. Lets hope i get to full health by next month.

Lets see, i can speak a few languages (English, Mandarin, Indonesian, Hokkien, Japanese and abit of Cantonese) but i don't read & write that well for most of it (even English).

Offline mono

• nobody
  • MU-Team
  • J-Legend
  • Renommée: 113
  • nothing
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »
thought people may find this interesting:

Offline SeraphimNoire

• You gonna get frankfurtered!
  • J-Master
  • Renommée: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »

Born in the GLORIOUS KAZAKHSTAN, raised in the GLORIOUS shithole of RUSSIA - Barnaul.

-where you are now

Germany. The exact geographical center of it.

Im ethnically slavic, my pass says Im jewish, my Gramps looks like an alteian azn, my other Gramps´last name is Rothstein, which kind of symbolizes.
My family is living the russian lifestyle, with borsh and blenis and Maslenitsa and shit.

Engrish, German and Russian equally.

Offline s02

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 11:37:01 AM »
Hello I'm brazilian, and I can't dance samba or play soccer/football propelly because this isn't the bigest part of most brazilians's culture.
True that soccer is a multibillionary buisness and have many ways to make a consumer, by uniforms, clubs and gifts and it's more present in a daily life then samba, because when you met someone you usually ask about theirs jobs, studies and their favorite team. When I was about 5 I did feel so unconfurtable to not be part of the mainstream culture that I just pretend to like it, was easy I just had to pick a name, and this pretend personality grow over in me after the years that I'm not really such of what is really real in my self.

Here in Brazil we speak portuguese, not spanish, although we are surrounded by spanish speakers countries only now the governament is making schools to obligatorily teach it. Happly I can read it.

Ethnicity? I'm a mix of europeans descendants with a big nose and green eyes, so any country can clam me as it descendant XD.
In Culture:
I do the catholic orthodox easter cerimony, because is the most important date to that religion. That come from my mother family from Ukraine. I enjoy very much a typicall holyday from Brazil that could be translated as "june's party/fair" (festa junina) that have snacks and little games to earn founds to the church where it's made.

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
  • Renommée: 152
  • Bad habits always pay off in the long run
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction For the Masses
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
My mom hates cornbread too (but it's probly not the same kind as yours)

That sounds sooooo good.  :relax:

Probably not, its not sweet corn bread.

Also yes, the Bell Peppers are amazing.

Offline hobby_master

• Madao
  • GWR Team
  • J-Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »
Nowadays we have a amount of emigrants from Ucraine, Brazil and China.

Interesting...China, huh? Oh and thanks for the explanation.

I can't Stand Cornbread or Grits, except for yellow grits which are wonderful.

My mom hates cornbread too (but it's probly not the same kind as yours)

We also like Stuffed Bell Peppers which is A Bell Pepper, hollowed out, and stuffed With a mix of corn, ground beef and a tomato sauce.

That sounds sooooo good.  :relax:

@mono, I had no idea there was that many dialects in Britain (I thought there was only one, LOL) and yay for MCism!!

And yet again, I wrote a whole paper about it. Sorry about that. It's not like I'm proud of our country, I guess I like to inform people about things they don't know or something ...

LOL, no worries, it's quite interesting to read. (I really should read my textbook...)

Offline Angela777

• ~ Serial killer of millions of microorganisms every day ~
  • jSurvivor
  • J-Addict
  • Renommée: 41
  • I command thee to give Me thine chocolate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 03:00:59 AM »
@ angela: belgian fries, huh? Gotta try that someday. Actually I should just visit the country.  :hahaha:
Visiting the country huh ... you'll have to like cities 'though, not much nature here, aside from some small protected areas ("Het Zwin" in the upper north being one of the more 'famous' ones) and the wooded hills in the south area of Belgium (known as "les Ardennes" (I'm putting this one in French because it's situated in the French part anyway)). Most famous cities are of course Brussels (being the European (and Belgian as well) capital) and Antwerp (economically important because it's located at a very good spot for trade, and known for its trade in (blood ...) diamonds), but "Brugge" (French: Bruges), "Gent" (French: Gant) and Eupen (that's situated in one of those German parts) are well known as well for city trips. Unfortunately, I have to admit to my shame I don't known about any French cities ...

One of the things that Belgium is known for (I think, or it's at least something I find interesting) are the old frontages (right word?) of the houses, some are really beautiful. Then there's the architecture, Horta (name of a late Belgian architect ^^) has very very beautiful architecture imo. It's very elegant.

Uhm, I'm not sure if you're really interested in knowing what's worth visiting in our country, so I'll leave it to that. Just ask away anyway. But you'll have to consult a Walloon for things about the southern part, as I know very little about that (we mainly went there on holiday in the "Ardennes"). I should change that sometime, it's very shaming actually. >_<

Oh, by the way, the nothern part of Belgium is called Flanders and the southern part is Wallonia. And most people would prefer you say they speak "Flemish" instead of Dutch, since the Dutch are from The Netherlands and speak a bit differently (Flemish people make fun of their language, as do the Dutch people from the Netherlands make fun of our language  :hahaha: ). Anyway, I don't mind, "Dutch" is the internationally accepted word for our general language, so call it whatever you want (except for German. That's completely different, although it may sound the same to foreign ears).

And yet again, I wrote a whole paper about it. Sorry about that. It's not like I'm proud of our country, I guess I like to inform people about things they don't know or something ...

So anyway: tl;dr: cities! Brussels, Antwerp, Brugge, Gent, Eupen. Architecture. No nature. Flanders (N) & Wallonia (S).

There you go.  :smoker:

Offline mono

• nobody
  • MU-Team
  • J-Legend
  • Renommée: 113
  • nothing
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 12:41:15 AM »
im from northern england. ive  lived in the county of yorkshire all my life.
people in different counties in england/britain are quite different. especially in their dialects. i have quite a broad "yorkshire accent", which basically sounds like a farmer! foreign people often have trouble with british dialects, especially "geordie" (north east england, around newcastle), "scouser" (liverpool area) and the obvious broad scottish, espcially glasgow areas

i was born in huddersfield. then moved to elland.
then moved away from the city to a village, where i did most of my younger growing up.
then when i was 16 i think, we moved to knaresborough. thats where i did my second stage of growing up i suppose.
now live in a town which is called "the jewel in yorkshire's crown". a very nice town it is too.

i suppose my ehnicity is european too.
though i am fair haired and blue eyed, so i suppose i have nordic or some kind of other blood in me, although all my family are "british" as far back as i can tell.
id be really really interested to find out my genetic heritage.

i would really like to go work in other country for a while. but i have never been able to find a job in my field of work internationally, though i know they are around. the only jobs i find are in places i dont wanna go :P

also, YEAH! GO MULTICULTURALISM!

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »
Quote (selected)
Kaos probably knows more than me, but yeah, you can pretty much fry anything.  Though I suppose there's not much more southern than a dinner of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, collard greens, okra, cornbread and grits.  <_<

Grits are disgusting by the way.  They taste like wallpaper paste.  -_-  But some people like them.

Accents:  I don't "have" one by technical standards--because I speak with the Midwestern accent that is accepted as "standard American," however, because of my area I can get a really good, convincing hick twang goin' on.  I usually only use it when I'm being funny, though.

Really, while I know them, ALOT of southern stapled I dislike.

My dad likes Collards mixed with Mustard greens. I rather prefer Spinach

I can't Stand Cornbread or Grits, except for yellow grits which are wonderful.

Okra is really good if you steam it or if its mixed into other things. We also eat stuff that I don't know if its southern but its great, like Red Beans and Rice( though usually its Red Beans and Sausage since we can't be arsed to cook rice too..

We also like Stuffed Bell Peppers which is A Bell Pepper, hollowed out, and stuffed With a mix of corn, ground beef and a tomato sauce.

There is also the staples like seafood off all sorts (I like shrimp Gumbo myself)  And Crab Legs, God those are good. Anywho. There's others, but that's just a sampling.

Offline Battler

• Fly Away!
  • J-Regular
  • Renommée: 9
    • View Profile
    • Lastfm
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »
Sure Hobby.

Well Terceira Island is part of group of 9 islands. This Archipelago was discovered in the Portuguese Discoveries in the 15th Century. Terceira Island was the third island to be discovered so they called it Terceira Island (Terceiro means third in portuguese). It's pacific place with of regional events and there is alot of Catholic comunity so we have in each town small churches called "Impérios".

There is alot of places to have fun like, pubs and bars and our restaurants served good quality food.

Nowadays we have a amount of emigrants from Ucraine, Brazil and China.

Just a curious fact: Our island has a important airport in the fact of transatlantic flights help. Not only our airport but also the Santa Maria Island airport. And most of military planes and fighters are supplied here.

Azores Archipelago had an important role in the Second World War. Americans and English stayed years in my Island during the Atlantic wars with German submarines and planes so they bilt an airport so it's an american airpot and years later portuguese also command it.
For more things you can search in wikipedia.  :hi:

Offline hobby_master

• Madao
  • GWR Team
  • J-Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 05:51:55 AM »
@ red, it always sucks when garbage people are on strike.  :hahaha:

@ battler,  :hi: can you tell me more about Terceira Island?? Sounds like a cool place.

@ DS, what about biscuits? I heard people eat it pretty often. (FYI for others, I don't mean the cookies, LOL)

Offline Battler

• Fly Away!
  • J-Regular
  • Renommée: 9
    • View Profile
    • Lastfm
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
Well i'm from Portugal, more specific i'm from Terceira Island (Azores archipelago). I'm living now in Terceira, but i thinking living in Lisbon for personal affairs.

I have no religion so i'm an atheist, but i do have all the respect to others religions.

I speak portuguese, but sometimes i speak english if some foreign people are spending some days around here.

Offline R3dknight

• V
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 142
  • YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »
Meah...
I'm from some thrid world country. (garbagemen are on strike so the city look more like a third world country)

I also like to break out this cage.
go out and work in strange new places.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 513
  • And you know what? We kind of liked it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 11:05:08 AM »
@ DS: fngerprinting? Are they worried about school shootings or something?? Actually, kidnapping sounds more plausible. (my old elementary/middle school are way more protective now after an incident of some sort. Guess it's something like that)

Pretty much.  As well as child molesters.  I had to go get a piece of paper before beginning my fieldwork that basically said I wasn't a child molester. 

@ kaos & DS: I wanna know more about southern cuisine. I've read in books about people frying almost everything.  :nominom:

Kaos probably knows more than me, but yeah, you can pretty much fry anything.  Though I suppose there's not much more southern than a dinner of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, collard greens, okra, cornbread and grits.  <_<

Grits are disgusting by the way.  They taste like wallpaper paste.  -_-  But some people like them.

Accents:  I don't "have" one by technical standards--because I speak with the Midwestern accent that is accepted as "standard American," however, because of my area I can get a really good, convincing hick twang goin' on.  I usually only use it when I'm being funny, though.

Offline hobby_master

• Madao
  • GWR Team
  • J-Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 09:31:10 AM »
@ kaos & DS: I wanna know more about southern cuisine. I've read in books about people frying almost everything.  :nominom:

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »
Born somewhere in Arkansas, Raised on the Coast of Mississippi. Currently live in south Alabama.

Culturally, Ethnically, Religiously, Whatever(ly) -

I'm completely southern in about 80% of the things I do, though due to being of a considerable Irish decent, I have a funny mix of Irish and southern twang when I speak. Its kinda funny when I meet folks sometimes. I'm also a decent percentage Indian(Creek) enough to qualify for scholarships due to it. My grandmother on my fathers side was full Indian, But she died around the time I was born.

On the area I grew up, its not a small town really(Gulfport's population dropped due to Katrina(a hurricane for those unaware) to around 70,000 folks.) The whole region is around 60-70% of the entire States total population.

Anywho, on the Language I speak, its most definitely English, though its more Southern English.

-where you are now
-what language you typically speak.
-there is absolutely NO OBLIGATION for you to reply to this thread - Oh well ferget everything I said just now.

Offline hobby_master

• Madao
  • GWR Team
  • J-Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
@ Lii: not everyone's proud of their country or being a citizen all the time. Canada may be considered as a very tolerant country now, but back then it was quite racist, even more than U.S. at certain times (at native indians, japanese, jewish, etc.)

@ angela: belgian fries, huh? Gotta try that someday. Actually I should just visit the country.  :hahaha:

@ DS: fngerprinting? Are they worried about school shootings or something?? Actually, kidnapping sounds more plausible. (my old elementary/middle school are way more protective now after an incident of some sort. Guess it's something like that)

@ marat: please be more descript...pfft LMAOOOOO

Offline marat75

• Of Wolf and Man
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 71
  • I hunt, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Where I am from? Right here:
:hahaha:

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »
@ DS, rural areas, huh? I'm guessing the town is like a big family? Also, i tend to get this impression that Irish women are good mothers for some reason. (maybe that's how they're portrayed in the movies, I dunno)

Basically everyone knows everyone and, yeah.  A great deal of the town is related.  <_<

It also means, though, that can walk in and out of my local schools without having to check in at the office or even be fingerprinted (which is required by law here), just because everyone knows me.

Offline Angela777

• jSurvivor
  • J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 07:03:37 AM »
@ angela, very descriptive, I like it.  :hahaha: One question, how are the chocolates there? I've bought some Belgian chocolates and they were awesome (but I dunno if they're REAL belgian though)
Very good. Good thing too, since I'm an absolute addict. Famous brands here are Leonidas, Neuhaus, Guylian, Marcolini and Godiva for those small chocolates. Good brands for normal chocolate bars are Côte d'Or and Callebaut (maybe others too, but I can't recall any right now). Those small chcocolates aren't cheap 'though, only buy them as a gift or for some special occasion :P.

In that same context, we're also very well known for our "French" fries. They're originated from Belgium anyway, not from France. We got stalls who sell them mostly for take-away, like the Fish & chips in the UK (but instead of the fish you get meat, and the fries are thinner than the American chips).

Ah, and we were once known for our export in weapons as well, I'm not clear on whether that still stands 'though.

I am Latvian, but I don't think there is such concept as "pure" Latvians. Latvians are a mix from tribes which lived here and then everyone else who came to subdue them *winces* we have never been alone in Latvia so it's possible to say we are one of the most multicultural countries. So yeah, I am kinda Latvian with some Roman blood added.
It's the same here. We're a mix of almost every nationality out there in Europe (thanks to being conquered so many times by all those countries in history). Nowadays the northern part is Dutch speaking, the southern part is French speaking, and small parts in the east are German speaking. As far as I know, no troubles with the German parts (well, they're pretty small after all), but the northern part and the southern part are more often than not in conflict with each other. Once it almost lead to a split, but that didn't go through (the southern part needs the money of the northern part, and the northern part needs the southern part for local tourism, lower taxes, to keep Brussels as the capital of Europe and ... I don't know, fact is that Belgium has enough troubles as it is without creating even more problems. Both parts need each other, and that's that.)

Generally, Dutch people will be able to speak Dutch and English, and the French people will only speak French. I don't know about the vicinity of the borders of the southern part as I live in the northern part, but if you live in the northern part near the border which divides the Dutch from the French people in Belgium, or near Brussels (Brussels in located in the northern part), your second language will be French, and third will be English. In Brussels, most people speak French 'though because it's a multicultural city (being the capital of Europe ...), and French is one of the major languages in the world.

And I'll stop rambling on here.  :fuufufuu:

Offline Lii-sama

• photographer's studio's president
  • jCafe Nobility
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 122
  • Genderless & Immortal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 03:16:20 AM »
Born in USSR and raised in Latvia and at the moment living in Latvia as well. History is a funny thing and for Latvia more so. I was born in 1986 which indicated some freedom movements in USSR, especially Helsinki'86. In 1990 USSR was no more and in 1991 Latvia declared its independence again. BTW Iceland was the first country to recognize Latvia's independence de iure and de facto. To tell the truth I didn't feel much changes tho I remember when we waited dad home from Barricades and how worried we were when we heard about shooting at Television's Tower. Mainly Latvian's history is about hurting and betrayal and we have more days with crapes than I wish to count, in the same time culturally Latvian's are somewhat in special position with having language which is the second closest to Sanskrit and with having folksongs and heritage of traditions, but I think Latvian's haven't learned to feel proud about it and also we haven't learned how to sell our uniqueness and we are somewhat too narrow minded and petty. Sometimes I am so not proud of being Latvian, but I think there are times when nobody feels proud of their country.

I am Latvian, but I don't think there is such concept as "pure" Latvians. Latvians are a mix from tribes which lived here and then everyone else who came to subdue them *winces* we have never been alone in Latvia so it's possible to say we are one of the most multicultural countries. So yeah, I am kinda Latvian with some Roman blood added.

Multicultural refers to language as well. Officially Latvia has one language and it's Latvian, but in some places there are more Russians so to tell the truth I suspect we should speak Russian since it's majority. Knowing Russian in Latvia is needed and I am somewhat taken aback by teens who don't understand Russian at all. Hard to think how it is possible, but it shows that friend circles are somewhat differed by belonging to Latvians and Russians. Youth really don't know how to have fun with everyone.

Offline nocturne

• stark-raving mad
  • J-Hero
  • Renommée: 16
  • Personal remarks are rude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 12:31:19 AM »
It's called Ilocano. I can also understand Pangasinense and I can speak a few sentences using it but I cannot hold a conversation in one because I tend to mix in some Ilocano words. I can understand some Bicol and Ibaloi as well but I don't speak them.

Offline hobby_master

• Madao
  • GWR Team
  • J-Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:47:50 PM »
@ angela, very descriptive, I like it.  :hahaha: One question, how are the chocolates there? I've bought some Belgian chocolates and they were awesome (but I dunno if they're REAL belgian though)

@ DS, rural areas, huh? I'm guessing the town is like a big family? Also, i tend to get this impression that Irish women are good mothers for some reason. (maybe that's how they're portrayed in the movies, I dunno)

@ nocturn, a nice variety of ethnicities. (kinda like mine in a way) Is there a name for that local dialect? or is it a a different version of Fillipino?

Great posts so far people, keep them coming!!

Offline nocturne

• stark-raving mad
  • J-Hero
  • Renommée: 16
  • Personal remarks are rude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 01:50:56 AM »
Born in polluted Manila, spent my childhood in my dad's farm, raised in a small city, lived for the past six years in the mountain regions and currently back in my parents' place. My mother's dad is chinese, while her mom is of spanish descent; my dad carries an italian surname. I'm a mongrel but I consider myself one hundred percent Filipino.

I speak Filipino, English, and one local dialect (I have a tendency to confuse and mix up the other dialects and I usually end up using different sets of words in a single sentence.) :aty:

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 01:12:48 PM »
Born and raised in the backwoods of rural America and wouldn't ya know it, I still live there.  I've never moved from my area--my family really doesn't.  We've lived on the same land for over 150 years now.  My hometown has no nightclubs, only two bars, and about 7 different churches.  What does that tell you?  And I believe our current non-white population is still under 100 total.  I also live in what's known as a touristy town, where lots of rich bitches own their second homes and a lot of poor people own their first.  The local law, however, will bend over backwards trying to protect their precious Fudge (what tourists and other non-locals are called). 

Also, my graduating class was the largest that the school system had ever seen at around 130 students.  I also never realized just how good said school system was until I took a job at a local college tutoring others where I realized just how lacking some people's education is.

My ethnicity is typically American--like pure mutt here.  However, I'm about a quarter Irish and the rest is comprised of various European nationalities--English, German, etc.  Nearly half of my family, however, has flaming red hair and pale, pale skin, so yeah.  The Irish, it's pretty strong.  o_O

I speak English as a native speaker and no other languages (though I'll recognize certain phrases and words and sentence structures from a smattering of others).

Offline Angela777

• jSurvivor
  • J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »
I was born in Belgium, and am still living here. Officially, I'm a Christian, but truthfully, I'm an atheist, like so many other people in our country (mainly only old people to see in our churches).

Ethnicity ... hmmm European I guess? Not much to say about our culture really, our families are not very tight (certainly not on my father's side since my granddad died. We're okay on my mother's side, we have a lot of fun during family gatherings like Christmas or just during the summer to see each other again.), respecting elders here is something you do or you don't (depends on your upbringing. Bad parents make irresponsible kids. It's sad that (what in my eyes looks like) most parents in our country are making a mess of it, because they don't have time for their kids and dump them with someone else, or worse, just on the street until the evening ...), both of my parents work, still it's my mom (and sometimes me) who does most of the chores (mainly because my father absolutely can't do them. Don't EVER ask my father to make dinner! He does his own ironing 'though, and sometimes helps with other things (because my mother had some assertiveness training and "forced" him to :hahaha: )), myeah, what can I say more?

Ah, we're a rich country. Yeah, definitely. You just have to take a look at the cars that ride on our (TERRIBLE, gap- and hole-filled) roads, I was quite surprised when I noticed that one day. On the other hand, a car is some form of status symbol, so it's possible people are just buying the most expensive car, and don't have enough money anymore to buy a simple bread >_<

And our government sucks because they're only interested in money and how to embezzle it without anyone noticing (because they'll instantly be infamous in that case thanks to the press), our prime minister became European president (those idiots, that guy was just a stand-in prime minister because the former one failed too much (oh yeah, where did that democracy go again? So we can't choose our own prime minister anymore when the former completely sucked? (as do they all, so we have to choose the ones who will suck less than the others)), and did nothing, zero, zip, rien du tout all this time. Great going people, and meanwhile, all our other bagger from the government got a place in the European Union as well, probably because they were too bad to get into ours, just fantastic!  :XD:

Ah, and finally, Brussels is becoming a real ghetto. When someone gets arrested there, his friends come to free him! And attack the Dutch press (from the Netherlands) who just happened to be there along the way! :D Or when a teacher reprimands a student, the whole family comes to pummel him into a hospital. Family gets arrested, and set free the day after. \o/ Besides that, kalasjnikovs and gangs are more frequently seen there ... Yes yes, it definitely is going the right way.
But that's mainly because of justice, they really mess things up good. "Someone got arrested? Just let him go free, he'll have learned his lesson now, won't he? What? It's already his 5th arrest because we let him go all those times? Oh well, nothing that can be done you know, the prisons are already cramped ..." Uhu, sure, that will solve all your problems immediately! Until you meet him on the street next time, that is ...

Uhm ... I guess I just went on a little rant here ... Sorry for that :pushup:

Offline hobby_master

• Madao
  • GWR Team
  • J-Overlord
    • View Profile
The "Where are you from?" Thread +
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »
Another thread made because of my curiosity and boredom.

:sa: A lot of people do say where they are from in their intros and/or their profiles and/or in posts, but I think it's more fun if we have it neatly organize it in a thread. (plus I'm too lazy to look around everyone's thread/post/profile LOL)

Talk about any of the following:  :whisper:
-where you are now

Note: there is absolutely NO OBLIGATION for you to reply to this thread. If you are uncomfortable with talking about yourself, that's fine. You don't have to. This is purely for fun. Therefore, no offensive jokes or comments!!! But it's perfectly fine to ask about someone's culture or the conditions of where they are from or are at now.
Remember: MULTICULTURALISM RULES!!!

I'll start first then:
I was born in Japan, but my parents were born and raised in China. I moved to Canada when I was around 10 and I've been here ever since. Oh and I'm actually Korean (in terms of "race") My family typically follow Korean traditions, which involve lots of respect to elders, strict parents, lots of bows (not the weapon), etc.  :headbunk: