Funds $0 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

0%

Author Topic: Help Me with this Kanji !  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Shichiyoru

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Help Me with this Kanji !
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »
Hi guys. Anyone know what this one is? Also, does this use the same extractor as an 88? Its missing one. Probably why its in such good condition. BW, BB

I can't see anything.

Anyway, with regards to the discussion here, I learned Chinese (Simplified) before learning Japanese, and with that I learnt it through flashcards and lots of repetition... Most "kanji" in Chinese are repeated or the Traditional writing style in Japanese, with similar meanings, so... I guess I'm not much help here lol. I read Kanji in Chinese sometimes to get the meaning, instead of reading the word, so when I translate manga, I translate with the general meaning of the sentence instead of word-for-word translations. :p

Offline djabea

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

I tried several things but I can't guess what the yellow marked kanji means.
Could someone please.
Thanks for the help.

Edit: Ha!  Found it. It's tanoshi.

Offline nanimoshiranai

• J-Drunkard
  • J-Overlord
  • Renommée: 17
  • "Oh god of hangovers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »
Quote (selected)
Not exactly. I'm talking about memorization technique for kanjis as well as other pictograms. The brain remembers the language through patterns. The ability to decipher text is based on the speed of how efficient your brain memorizes information e.g. the radicals. The reason why many students are slow to learn kanji through repetition is because they don't expose themselves regularly to Japanese like the students in Japan. They forget what they've just learned. Of course once you've built a foundation of vocabularies you can work on learning through contextual studying. The question is how efficient will your brain remember the symbols.

Greate! I do belive in mnotechnic like it or not that's the second way the brain remember the best, first is truama
thank you silverado now every time I see the tobu kanji I will think in flying with rockets, please tell me a way to remember the bara kanji

Offline hobby_master

• Madao
  • GWR Team
  • J-Overlord
  • Renommée: 116
  • Madao will always be Madao...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 04:58:58 AM »
I can't see the pic you posted, silv, but one possible way is to break down the kanji into pieces. (many chinese/japanese characters are composed of multiple "parts", as you probably know already)

Personally, it's easy to just write the character over and over, then go back to it often (either by looking over it again, or maybe seeing it being used in sentences or passages, or manga...XD). Of course, this is much easier for people who's learning this during childhood as opposed to later.

Regardless of which technique you use (although I dunno most of them), I'm sure repetition would be used. Some may require you to do less than others, but in the end, that's what you need to do.

Offline Flamerokz

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:18:49 PM »
Personally I think some sort of systematic approach, like in Heisig's book, is the most natural way to learn the kanji, at least for a foreigner. That's because kanji are quite systematic themselves - when you see the tree radical, you already know that kanji likely has something to do with trees. So using that inherent logic you can remember symbols.
Well I don't exactly know what would constitute as "natural" for a foreigner, but it's certainly a lot more effective and efficient than rote memorization to do it via Heisig. The radical logic only works out for a handful of the Kanji I would argue; it's not so convenient like the tree, sun, water, etc. radicals for a lot of the Kanji.
To read them fast, you need to see them in text a lot. Just reading normal text with the help of a kanji dictionary works better for me than flash cards or the like.
I'd agree with this pretty much; I don't have much to say outside of the Kanji since I only finished RtK Volume 1 some 2-3 weeks ago, and it's taken me until a few days ago to properly decide what other learning supplements to go through. Still, I'm really pumped up for the time when hopefully I can breeze through an easy manga or light novel without the need for dictionaries :P

Offline Zekeltarfos

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:06:54 PM »
Personally I think some sort of systematic approach, like in Heisig's book, is the most natural way to learn the kanji, at least for a foreigner. That's because kanji are quite systematic themselves - when you see the tree radical, you already know that kanji likely has something to do with trees. So using that inherent logic you can remember symbols. To read them fast, you need to see them in text a lot. Just reading normal text with the help of a kanji dictionary works better for me than flash cards or the like.

Offline R3dknight

• V
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 142
  • YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:55:25 PM »
ok lol.

:p!ssed:
that's NOT how you learn the sacred writings of the Han

Offline Flamerokz

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:02:08 PM »
This is really similar to the Remembering the Kanji method of learning the meanings and writings of Kanji. Or Kanjidamage which essentially uses the same sort of method - breaking down Kanji into radicals and smaller components and then using a mnemonic to recall that Kanji. A lot of people have reported success with these methods for long-term recall of Kanji using SRS (Spaced Repetition System); I wholeheartedly recommend that method over the traditional forced memorization methods. I could elaborate but a lot of other people have explained it a lot better than me, so I would just go to the koohii forums, kanjidamage website, or just google stuff up about Remembering the Kanji.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 397
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »
Not exactly. I'm talking about memorization technique for kanjis as well as other pictograms. The brain remembers the language through patterns. The ability to decipher text is based on the speed of how efficient your brain memorizes information e.g. the radicals. The reason why many students are slow to learn kanji through repetition is because they don't expose themselves regularly to Japanese like the students in Japan. They forget what they've just learned. Of course once you've built a foundation of vocabularies you can work on learning through contextual studying. The question is how efficient will your brain remember the symbols.

Offline -crono-

• Square-Ocean-Team
  • J-Addict
  • Renommée: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »
i'm just saying, when you're reading something in real japanese, instead of trying to remember something, spot on recognition will be way more important. you don't read every letter in a word but you know the word right? that's what i'm talking about.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
Repetition is not my learning style. I remember things usually the first time I see / read them. Also this method can be used to remember difficult kanjis even for beginners. What you are doing is cluster memorization and works only if you do it regularly, as you try to pass the information from short term memory into long term memory through repetition. I'm trying to bridge the long term memory by analysis and anchoring new information with old information.

Offline -crono-

• Square-Ocean-Team
  • J-Addict
  • Renommée: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »
lol i think you're going about this in a completely wrong way... just repetition, not breaking every kanji down... you'd be translating at a snail's pace that way...

flash cards man, flash cards. fast, spot on recognition is what you need

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
Help Me with this Kanji !
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:53 AM »
Post here any problematic kanji and maybe someone can help you memorizing it, sometimes in a unique way  :hahaha:

Here is an example for learning the kanji for 飛 = fly/jump.