Funds $0 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

0%

Poll

How many movies (on average) do you watch in a week?

None.  I hate movies/don't have time
6 (3.1%)
1.  I ration.
58 (30.4%)
2-3.  I like movies.
80 (41.9%)
4-6.  I REALLY like movies.
36 (18.8%)
7+ I'm obsessed.
11 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: What movie(s) did you see this week? Vol. 2  (Read 104426 times)

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
  • Renommée: 19
  • Somewhere in space, in a cocaine-covered orgy dome
    • View Profile
Re: What movie(s) did you see this week? Vol. 2
« Reply #972 on: November 14, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »
Saw Miss Sloane recently. First time I've ever seen Jessica Chastain, but she left a hell of an impression. Great movie. Grounded, pragmatic, and very apposite after the Las Vegas shooting in the US.

Offline Suwa

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 13, 2017, 06:17:33 AM »
For this week, the movies I've watched are Kita Kita, Kizumonogatari Nekketsu-hen, and Kizumonogatari Reiketsu-hen

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 07, 2017, 02:13:53 AM »
Saw Alien: Covenant. Liked it better than Prometheus. One thing I repeatedly thought throughout both is how Ridley Scott likes to ask questions in the prequel movies, but isn't particularly keen on answering them. Whether that's because he's not actually capable of answering them, or that he plans to at some vague point, it's starting to grate on me a little.

I'm not the type that needs instant gratification, but leaving too much to the viewers's imagination starts to feel less like open-endedness and more like directionlessness. There's a way to create mystery and mystique, but what he's doing in Prometheus and Covenant isn't really the best way to go about it.

Anywho, saw Life, too. It's not the most innovative sci-fi horror movie, but with Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds, and Hiroyuki Sanada in the same film, how could I possibly say no? :D

Offline Maxidxd

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 23, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
I watched American pie its a clasic

Offline crbrgmi

• I'm a GumiBear. (´・ω・`) ~ Princess of Spam
  • Gold Dragon
  • Renommée: 120
  • the pathway to Hell is paved in good deeds.
    • View Profile
    • Skelly fairy bloggy
« Reply #968 on: May 15, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
Watched guardians of the galaxy. It was funny, lots of adult humor and Drex is still the best character.

Offline Golblin_Friend

• J-Starter
  • Save the Goblins of Grimgar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 27, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »
Logan. I highly recommend it! This was the Wolverine movie I'd been waiting my whole life for!

Offline irma_vit

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 15, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »
I watched Hidden figures and The Great Wall... both of theme were great.. highly recommend them!! and deathwatched few Marvel movies LOVE 'EM

Offline Jump3R

• Shiroyasha|燃えてきたぜ!!|FanBoy/FB|OVER NINE THOUSA~ND posts!|Totally Off The Wall And Crazy (Totwac)|Dragon of the 9 Threads of Spam|Itsumo|Gyarakushia|Jyan|Wiseass| Shogun Obvious|Sweater|Sir Douchebag
  • Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • Renommée: 153
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #965 on: February 13, 2017, 03:52:35 AM »
I will see John Wick today or tomorrow as well, love the guy.
What I saw this week though were... eeh... "Jackie" and... what was the other thing?... Oh yeah, "Rings"

Offline obbieuth

• _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
  • God of Earth
  • Renommée: 155
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 13, 2017, 01:04:00 AM »
FUCK YES JOHN WICK! I want to see it. I think I'll go tomorrow.

I had a friend that used to live in Montreal, he said it was cold as hell in the winter but beautiful the rest of the year. Lots of festivals and stuff too...

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 12, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »
Saw John Wick: Chapter 2 last night, and I'm going to see it again today and tomorrow. There's so much I could write about it, but I think calling it one of the greatest action movies of all time suffices.

If you're an action movie junkie, do not miss this.

Sidenote:
It blows that there are IMAX showings for The Lego Batman Movie, but not for this in Montreal!

Offline Jump3R

• Shiroyasha|燃えてきたぜ!!|FanBoy/FB|OVER NINE THOUSA~ND posts!|Totally Off The Wall And Crazy (Totwac)|Dragon of the 9 Threads of Spam|Itsumo|Gyarakushia|Jyan|Wiseass| Shogun Obvious|Sweater|Sir Douchebag
  • Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #962 on: January 23, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »
Watched both director's cut Donnie Darko and then its poor excuse for a sequel. Also today I just came back from the cinema where I watched "Why him?" with James Franco and Bryan Cranston. It was super hilarious, great for both those who are from this age and deal with older people who are old school, as well as the older people who struggle with changes around them and adjusting to the new world order of the fast technological advancement.

Offline obbieuth

• _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
  • God of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 21, 2017, 12:43:46 AM »
I am psyched for both of those titles

actual motherfucking spoiler click at own risk:
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Offline Jump3R

• Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #960 on: January 17, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »
I am looking forward to Alien: Covenant myself, but on that list are at least 5 other titles I already watched or know I will watch. I will have an actual opinion on them all once I see them...

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 17, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »
Any good science fiction on the horizon? It is kind of a rare bird. It seems like the qualities which for me, makes a movie a great piece of science fiction makes it mentally repellent for most people. "Oh, oh god, oh HENRY what is that creature DOING!? I can't watch this anymore! It's AWFUL!"

www.nerdmuch.com/movies/3578/upcoming-new-sci-fi-movies-2016-2017-to-watch-release-calendar/

I think the closest thing to what you describe would probably come from Alien Covenant. :P

Personally, I'm dying to see how The Dark Tower will turn out.

Offline obbieuth

• God of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 17, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »
Any good science fiction on the horizon? It is kind of a rare bird. It seems like the qualities which for me, makes a movie a great piece of science fiction makes it mentally repellent for most people. "Oh, oh god, oh HENRY what is that creature DOING!? I can't watch this anymore! It's AWFUL!"

Offline Jump3R

• Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #957 on: January 17, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »
Agreed.

But we aren't most people, or at least I am not. I love those questions and theoreticality and philosophy they awaken in people.
We even talked about it a bit at work today, where my point was every situation requires individual approach, and you can't choose correctly by doing the same with changes in variables... Which Sci-Fi does sometimes.

Offline obbieuth

• God of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 17, 2017, 12:37:30 AM »
Seen em all bro, and I agree with your consensus they are really good. My tops so far are probably Ex Machina and Splice. The level of tension was awesome. I also like that they made you question philosophical views that make most people feel super uncomfortable. 

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 16, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
There are different types of Sci-Fi, touching different aspects and presenting them differently, Moe.
You can't just throw all of them in the same pot and judge them by the same categorized criteria...

Well, yes. The ones I mentioned cover a pretty wide range of subjects, and they're pretty good, for the most part, at what they do. Not just in terms of subject, but form, too (directing, editing, set composition, framing/camera work, etc..).

Brief overviews of these movies (can't go into too much detail because I'd be venturing into spoiler territory). Taken from Wiki:
Moon (character study/driven drama): follows Sam Bell, a man who experiences a personal crisis as he nears the end of a three-year solitary stint mining helium-3 on the far side of the Moon.
Sunshine (thriller): In 2057, with the Earth in peril from the dying Sun, the crew is sent on a mission to reignite the star with a nuclear bomb that has a mass equivalent to Manhattan Island.
Europa Report (found footage/faux documentary): recounts the fictional story of the first crewed mission to Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.
Midnight Special (drama, mystery): revolves around Roy Tomlin and his biological son, Alton Meyer, escaping from both the government and a cult, after discovering that Alton has special powers.
Arrival (character study/driven drama, mystery): follows linguist Louise Banks and theoretical physicist Ian Donnelly as they try to communicate with an alien species before war erupts.

But while there's a litany of styles, genres, and executions there, in terms of quality, I think Moon comes out on top. It's fantastically acted, directed, written - just really well put together, in general. In a way I don't think the others (bar, perhaps, Arrival) measure up to.

Offline Jump3R

• Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #954 on: January 16, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
There are different types of Sci-Fi, touching different aspects and presenting them differently, Moe.
You can't just throw all of them in the same pot and judge them by the same categorized criteria...

@topic
I watched a bunch this week, Collateral Beauty and The Great Wall being some of the new ones.

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 16, 2017, 06:55:20 AM »
Well what with it being science fiction and space based the bar for me liking it was how shall we say, very very low.

If you're hankering for some good sci-fi, I can't recommend Midnight Special and Arrival enough. Those are the ones to beat in terms of good recent science fiction movies. Going back further, I'd also suggest you check out Moon (the best of the bunch), Sunshine, and Europa Report.

Offline Jump3R

• Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #952 on: January 06, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
I saw Passengers and Bedeviled... I liked both, but as a fan of sci-fi I liked Passengers a lot more. Bedeviled had a few too cliche for my taste scenes and themes, but I still liked it.

Gonna watch Assassin's Creed this weekend, will tell you what my personal opinion is after I do xd

Offline joker012

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 06, 2017, 03:13:19 AM »
I watched "Sing". Was adorable and fun, gave me warm fuzzies :)

Offline Jump3R

• Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #950 on: December 28, 2016, 05:12:23 AM »
Seen Doctor Strange this Christmas (stop judging me, it was very magical, just like all Christmas movies!)

Offline obbieuth

• God of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 25, 2016, 07:45:04 PM »
Wise sentiments

Offline Jump3R

• Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #948 on: December 25, 2016, 01:28:23 AM »
:maikka:
I understand and respect others' opinions but I never thin of them as a starting point for my own. Or any point, actually.

Offline obbieuth

• God of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 24, 2016, 12:37:38 PM »
The opinions were SUPER negative but I enjoyed it.

Offline Jump3R

• Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #946 on: December 24, 2016, 07:58:42 AM »
I only saw a single Passengers trailer in the cinema, but other than that I don't dig deep. Rule #1: Don't judge until try. So I will judge after I see it, no one's opinion will make me biased :)

Offline obbieuth

• God of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: December 23, 2016, 07:31:28 PM »
Well what with it being science fiction and space based the bar for me liking it was how shall we say, very very low.

Offline voser

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 23, 2016, 05:51:10 PM »

Offline Jump3R

• Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #943 on: December 23, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »
I believe the story in the trailers would suit the fans more if they did it the other way around, but they released it this way so we enjoy it the way they put a stamp on it. With "trust" and "sacrifice" everywhere...