Funds $30 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

28%

Author Topic: What game are you playing now? (Ver 2.0)  (Read 127794 times)

Offline nyx1047

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What game are you playing now? (Ver 2.0)
« Reply #963 on: June 29, 2018, 04:07:34 AM »
Just started with Y's VIII a few days ago. It was Ni no Kuni II (Dropped), Final Fantasy XII and Tales of Berseria before that. I'm into JRPGs currently, just got tired of MOBAs and Battle Royales didn't seem appealing for me.

Offline 1sTAndy

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 13, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »
StarDewValley
enjoying multyplayer sie they got the update for it (Beta)
its real time  :stabby:

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
  • Renommée: 19
  • Somewhere in space, in a cocaine-covered orgy dome
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 03, 2018, 08:33:08 PM »
I'm playing Breath of the Wild, and I'm trying to finish it, but, honestly, BotW has been a thorough, thorough disappointment. I mainly attribute this to the fact that its dungeons (not the shrines) are profoundly terrible. I would find myself shocked if not for the fact that I had already experienced what an overly-open structure does to dungeon design in A Link Between Worlds. What does shock me, however, is the defense for them. The 'puzzles' are braindead, all four operate and navigate through the exact same mechanisms, and they all have the same sterile, same-y look to them - there's no consideration towards thematic design whatsoever. They are markedly worse than anything seen in even Wind Waker, and that game had the worst dungeons in TLoZ by a fair margin.

This is brushed away by most of the fanbase because now you have the kind of exploration expected of the series. Good exploration is important, but excelling at something doesn't make dropping the ball on something else excusable. BotW's proponents contend that 'it isn't a big deal' because it's a faithful rendition of the vision that created the very first 'The Legend of Zelda'. That, quite frankly, is a piss-poor argument. The claim that the first TLoZ that came out on the NES was where Zelda achieved its full potential as a piece of game design, or that its where TLoZ's identity as a series was fully-formed is a magnificent crock of shit. The Legend of Zelda on the NES is a compromised goddamned vision in comparison to the games that came after it. There's no fucking way that Miyamoto would have made the same game if he were working on better hardware.

As the series progressed, we got a better and better idea of what Zelda could do, and what it was meant to be. When it made the transition to the realm of 3D in 1999 with Ocarina of Time, we saw what masterful dungeon design looked like and kept on seeing those design principles refined and implemented in increasingly ingenious dungeons throughout the progression of the series. You couldn't dream of doing the things they were prior to the 3D revolution, and the games were better for them. Not only that, but these were the best dungeons in the industry by leaps and bounds. The 3D Legacy of Kain games, Ookami, Alundra, Darksiders, and the other Zelda clones couldn't begin to compare in that regard.

From OoT to Skyward Sword, good dungeons were Zelda's bread and butter and established as an inextricable part of the Zelda experience. Along comes BotW shamelessly defiling that legacy with its horrendous excuses for dungeons, and I'm supposed to ignore that because, what, it suddenly has good exploration again? I'm sorry, that doesn't fly with me. Monolith Soft, known for the Xenoblade and Xenoblade X IPs in the current era, were behind the topographical layout of Hyrule this time - that is to say they pretty much designed it. And that's great. They have the best environment artists in the industry by far and understand what makes compelling exploration in a game better than anyone else. And while Hyrule is fun to explore - more fun than it's ever been - it's nothing that Monolith haven't done, are doing, or going to do better in their own games. If I want compelling exploration and Zelda didn't offer it, I would still have the Xenoblades for that.

What I didn't have in the Xenoblades was expertly executed dungeons, which I would expect to find in TLoZ. That's no longer the case with BotW. Its clones have outdone it in an area it was supposed to be untouchable. That's fucking tragic, and, with the way its legacy was so carelessly tossed aside, pathetic, too.

But you know what? At the end of the day, Zelda isn't mine. I have no creative input in the series and it's not my right to dictate what should and shouldn't be in The Legend of Zelda. Aonuma dedicates large portions of his life to making these games, and if this makes him happy, I support him even if I don't particularly like what he's doing. But that's one thing. It's another entirely to come up to me and say that BotW's dungeons are good or in any way comparable to its antecedents. I will fight whoever with every single puzzle, every single item, every single room, and every single texture from its predecessors' games if I have to to prove to that person how fucking wrong that is.

Anywho. I'm also playing Kirby: Planet Robobot. Kirby is always...well, Kirby and consistently delivers on...Kirbyness. I love all of the games. lol

EDIT: I typed this out real quick, so please forgive any poor grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, and repetition you find.

Offline Grava

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: May 14, 2018, 11:19:07 PM »
Meadow, is relaxing and... just wow, it is simple but i like it. This game is about wandering like an animal (rabbit, fox, frog, goat...) looking for crystals for unlock skins... xD

Offline Tstorm34

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 13, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »
its been quite a while since ive played a purely story based game so ive been sticking to most of the hype train games like fortnite and PUBG :huh:

Offline Matsoukan

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 03, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »
Well... still playing Breath of the Wild, sometimes Overwatch and Dark Souls 2. Breath of the Wild is my favorite out of these (and in general), Dark Souls is still pretty entertaining and Overwatch... if you disregard the salt and the toxicity it's still a pretty fun game full of adrenaline

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
  • Renommée: 5209
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 27, 2018, 12:20:45 AM »
Despite my intention to part time Dragon Ball FighterZ and Monster Hunter World this semester, I failed to get into either; time constraints encroached on the overall experiences thereof.
I've been putting a bit of time into Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, just for fun. But I really wanted something to enjoy in my off time....and am playing through Breath of the Wild for the 3rd time. I'll be over the 500 hour mark at the end of this. Somebody please tell me that there is nothing wrong with this.

On a side not, I received my copy of Ni no Kuni II King Edition today, and it is brilliant, absolutely worth the small fortune that the retailers demanded. It's a heavy box of Ghibliesque paraphernalia. If I can, I'll be playing it alongside Zelda.

Offline aldrichk

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 13, 2018, 02:22:12 AM »
Well, I just completed Witcher 3, and I am starting the new game +. I'm not sure what I should play next after this masterpiece.

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 04, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »
Playing Duke Nukem: Time to Kill.

Are there good retrospectives on the N64/PS1 generation of gaming out there? It's almost shocking how badly 3D games on the Playstation have aged. Now, admittedly, I'm an avid Nintendo fan, more or less, but I assure you all I'm speaking without bias here. I dare anyone to go back and play the likes of Tomb Raider or any highly-regarded PS1 game and tell me they're as meticulously crafted as Nintendo's first party offerings.

Why was Sony forward-thinking with the media storage of its console, but not with its controller? Something that dramatically affects the way games are designed? I gave shit to Tenchu up there for many things, but the truth is a lot of those criticisms apply to a vast quantity of Playstation games of that time. The analog stick was crucial to crafting 3D games on consoles. Which without, severe issues of flexibility of control and camera tuning manifest.

Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Perfect Dark, etc. all play flawlessly to this day. Can anyone say the same for Tomb Raider? Any PS1 FPS? Any game created in a fully three-dimensional world? Yeah, Nintendo ruined their 3rd party relations partly because they went with cartridges instead of disks, but its clear it was their priorities that were straight. What are all those FMVs worth today? Evidently more than good, ageless design going by which console developers chose that generation.

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: February 21, 2018, 11:52:55 PM »
For some reason, I found myself nostalgic for the days of polygon jittering and low-res texture warping, so I hooked up the 'ol PSX. The first game I popped in was Tenchu. This is probably the single most frustrating game I've ever revisited. I want to say that the game's aged horrendously, but I'm struggling to figure out how I ever considered it to be good or even decent in the first place.

First off, who tested this thing? The game has several game-breaking glitches/oversights. The most annoying one (so far) is the near non-existence of object detection in the game. Your grappling hook and character failing to latch onto surfaces for no discernible reason whatsoever is bad enough, but this is a stealth game where enemies clip through walls enough to spot you. That's a colossal screw-up.

Secondly, the camera is total crap. I hate its default position; it should've been placed a bit higher at a slightly overhanging angle. But that's a nitpick. Clearly it wasn't designed with the Dualshock in mind, and as such, there was going to be limitations. While I resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be able to control it, the camera is still implemented poorly. You have to turn your character to turn the camera. That makes it so the character has a limited range of movement because right and left on the d-pad/analog stick are reserved for turning and not actually moving. This is pretty bad because it makes movement really clunky and cumbersome. In a competent game (limited by its controller), you'd have that full range of movement with a button reserved for resetting the camera to its fixed position behind you. This scheme would've been perfectly viable, but for some reason the devs found it necessary to map crouching twice on the controller, showing zero regard for the economy of buttons.

The first MegaMan Legends used such a scheme, I think. It was garbage in that game, too, but Capcpom had the 'wisdom' to fix it in Legends 2. I hope the same goes for Tenchu 2, because that's what I'll be playing after I'm done with the first.

EDIT: Went back and checked. There are "turning" buttons in Legends, but the O button was used to walk/reset the camera position. I was thinking of another game.

Thirdly and lastly, I think this is the first game I've played where technical limitations negatively affected gameplay. I normally don't care about visual bells and whistles (that's not to say that I can't appreciate them :P) because in a competent game, they're just accouterments to good design. What I'm talking about in this case is Techu's atrocious draw distance. You can't see more than seven meters ahead of you. Why is this a problem? Because even though the game doesn't physically render enemies, the game's programming dictates that they can see you regardless. I'm sure I don't have to delve further into why that's a major issue in a stealth game. I would've settled for smaller environments with greater draw distances. But who cares about functionality over form, anyway?

You know, none of these things had to be issues. Super Mario 64 wrote the book on 3D game development. That's why I wrote wisdom in quotations up there. You didn't need wisdom to fix any of this. You just had to instruct yourself through that book. And yet certain devs couldn't be bothered do that much, instead opting to wipe their asses with its pages.

I really wanted to like this game again. I've always wanted a stealth-based Ninja Gaiden starring Hayate, and while this mostly fits the description, it's just not any good. Here's hoping Tenchu 2 and Wrath of Heaven have their acts together.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 03, 2018, 12:19:33 AM »
Unfortunately for the forum's current climate, banning and all that seems to be restricted to Global Mods, Administrators, usw., either by Simple Machines design, or silv's discretion, which is causing the forums to be overrun when there are virtually no active users with those permissions, or the time to perform forum maintenance in the case of active members that do have the forum permissions necessary.

I chose the sensible option and saved my money. I might get the game eventually, though money is tight, and my queue is already quite packed; I'll have my copy of Monster Hunter World soon, Pokemon Crystal's 3ds eshop release, and Dragon Ball FighterZ which I've yet to start, to keep me busy in between my forthcoming semester, which is supposedly what I'm meant to be prioritising, rather than juggling around the aforementioned passatempi.
Though judging from the screens you shared, the game is unequivocally brilliant and I really am missing out.

On topic:Currently more than half way through Paper Mario Sticker Star, the first game in the series to substantially alter game play mechanics; though I previously played Color Splash and frankly enjoyed it a great deal more than the reviewers might agree upon as acceptable based on their average-to-good-though-not-nearly-great reviews and the vast differences to the older, fan favorite installments of the franchise. So considering that the game is arguably a Proto-Color Splash, needless to say I'm enjoying the game, and after maiden playthroughs of the original N64 installment on my WiiU and Thousand Year Door on my Softmodded Wii, I'm just happy that Intelligent Systems has delivered as many installments in the franchise as they have. After which, I'll have played every Paper Mario title, and I'll happily move onto Kirby's Epic Yarn, which my recent playthrough of Rainbow Paintbrush has psyched me for, and furthermore which Woolly World prepared me for in reverse, as it were.

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 27, 2017, 02:16:06 AM »
Hey moe  :whoosh:. Thanks for keeping this place clean. It's the only place that hasn't been utterly riddled with spam since I got too busy.

I'd ban the spambot accounts if I knew how. :P

I've never played any of the Xenoblade games, but I've been meaning to get into them ever since this board's hype a couple of years back, most of which was yours, and a little of mint's too. Would it be stupid of me to get the latest without having played any of the previous games? I won't lie, I've had to exercise some extremely adult-level self control, in not placing preorders on this and this.

Well, Xenoblade and Xenoblade X are two unrelated IPs. The former is a fantasy "semi-open-world" RPG, the latter is a full-fledged sci-fi open-world RPG. Both are real-time (think MMOs a la World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, etc.) and have an enormous focus on exploration.

Feel free to jump into Xenoblade X; it's the first in its series. I'd suggest doing so with a guide, though, because X iterates on a lot of the mechanics found in Xenoblade, and the game is kinda hands-off when it comes to guiding the player.

Regarding Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 (which belong to the fantasy set of games), Monolith/Tetsuya Takahashi has been pretty coy as to whether the two games are related or not. If you don't want to risk ruining the story (the first has a pretty great one with an even more ingenious metanarrative), I'd suggest tackling them in chronological order.

As for buying the Collector's Edition of Xenoblade 2...I really want to tell you to do it, because the studio is in desperate need of support, but that'd be irresponsible. You don't know if you're going to like the games yet, and in the event you don't, you're going to end up with a $100+ paperweight and a wicked case of buyer's remorse. Stick to the standard edition of the game, for now, if you do get it. If it and the other games're up your ally, get the CE for the next game.

Lastly, for the sake of remaining relevant, a few more screenshots of Xenoblade X, which I'm still playing.

An aesthetic proclivity towards surrealism and oneirism, Brobdingnagian scale, and an impeccable understanding of thematic and topographical diversity define Monolith as a true video game auteur. Just immaculate.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 27, 2017, 12:17:52 AM »
Playing Xenoblade X in anticipation of Xenoblade 2
Hey moe  :whoosh:. Thanks for keeping this place clean. It's the only place that hasn't been utterly riddled with spam since I got too busy.

I've never played any of the Xenoblade games, but I've been meaning to get into them ever since this board's hype a couple of years back, most of which was yours, and a little of mint's too. Would it be stupid of me to get the latest without having played any of the previous games? I won't lie, I've had to exercise some extremely adult-level self control, in not placing preorders on this and this.

Also, I've playing Mario Kart Double Dash on my very recently softmodded - post WiiU data transferred - old screwed disk jet Wii. It is great. First time playing it, and already know 90% of the levels thanks to the later installments' emulations. I'm at the end of the semester, and I'm trying to keep it light, and not get into a game too large before Super Mario Odyssey, Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds, and Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon hit. Thank fuck I'll be on break by the time the last of those does launch. I also just finished my first playthrough of a Link to the Past, and couldn't even begin to describe how much I loved it. I cannot wait for the Champions Ballad to launch.

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: September 09, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
Playing Xenoblade X in anticipation of Xenoblade 2. Not even remotely interested in other JRPGs so long as they're satisfied with the turn-based status quo. Monolith seems like the only JRPG developer interested in pushing the boundaries of the genre, and their games are better for it.

Square Enix can be ambitious, but it literally took 'em a decade to get Final Fantasy XV out the door.

Offline tontosoy

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
WHAT GAMES HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING LATLEY?
« Reply #949 on: July 07, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »
 I am curious on what game(s) people have been plauing latley.This is the game I have been playing latley,called Sao legend(http://sao.gamesprite.me/)

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 09, 2017, 12:57:33 AM »
Playing Ninja Gaiden Black. Still probably the hardest game I've ever played (and I've played the likes of the first Ninja Gaiden on the NES, Frogger, and the Soul series :P). It's crazy how well it's held up to this day. Definitely Team Ninja's opus magnum. I've really enjoyed my time with the Devil May Cry and Bayonetta series, but, as far as I'm concerned, this is the one to beat in terms of hack and slashers.

Offline Kozaktri

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 23, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »
For offline games not too much at the moment, but lately I have been playing a lot of Insurgency. The game is really fun (once you get good to the point of not dying 5 seconds after respawn) but it really needs a lot more new players.

Offline RyujiKozato

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 15, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »
  • osu!
  • Granblue Fantasy
  • Love Live! School Idol Festival
  • Valkyrie Crusade
  • Trails of Cold Steel I

Offline kayyu12

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: May 15, 2017, 09:23:24 AM »

THE [email protected] Cinderella Girls: Starlight Stage, just for releasing stress.

Offline Golblin_Friend

• J-Starter
  • Save the Goblins of Grimgar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 27, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. It's a classic with great soundtracks and excellent environments and attention to detail. It's my all time fav next to Descent 2 and MegaRace.

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 04, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »
Playing Breath of the Wild!

Messing around, trying to get a feel for the game. It's definitely unconventional coming off of the traditional entries in the TLoZ series.

Offline AkutareFan

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 04, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
Current: Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, BBS and DDD
Going through backlog until Persona 5

Offline nudemag

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 01, 2017, 12:52:27 AM »
Trying out Brandish after giving up on Grandia.... it seems every JRPG I play these days turns out to be piss easy T__T

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 28, 2017, 02:48:38 AM »
Xenoblade, with some Ocarina of Time on the side.  Y'know, I don't think there's a single time where the Shadow Temple didn't freak me the hell out.
1) What is it doing in an E-rated game? There are torture chambers, bloody torture instruments, and blood-splattered walls/floors everywhere.
2) The music playing in the background is more unnerving than anything I've ever heard from any horror movie. I'm fairly sure it isn't one of Kondo's original compositions but something he plagiarized from hell itself.

Offline killersoul666

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 10, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »
witcher 3
one of the best game ever

Offline megafuse

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 08, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
Well just to name a few:
Overwatch, Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn, Hyperdimension Games, Tales of Games, Shellshock Live.

Offline Reno1231

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 05, 2017, 07:12:48 AM »
Granblue Fantasy and Girls Frontline atm. Would really want to go back to my other old games but alas, my lack of time thanks to work won't let me.

Offline baybidou

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 04, 2017, 07:10:29 AM »
Heavily invested in world of warships for the online part, real fun with people you know. As for single player games, looking to start playing the from soft's games.

Offline Benthebookworm

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 03, 2017, 12:56:42 AM »
Replaying Transistor and Bastion. Trust me, they are seriously worth your time. Darren Korb is an incredible songwriter.

Offline Sarutochi

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 16, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Civilization 6