Funds $5 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

6%

Author Topic: How to grab online manga from official japanese sites  (Read 114200 times)

killerdee and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Shirin

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
Yes, now I can use it. Thank you!! ^^

Offline Renegade334

• ** RETIRING **
  • Silver Dragon
  • Renommée: 6190
  • Do NOT ask me how to see DL links. READ THE RULES!
    • View Profile
So, did it work or was it no good?

Offline Shirin

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
One of the most common causes for that kind of error message (0xc0000135) is caused by .NET.

Try installing .NET Framework 1.1 or 3.5 (warning: 3.5 standalone installer is 300Mb+) and have a new go at it. I imagine you're using XP, 32-bit, preferably SP3?

YOU ARE MY HERO!!

Offline Renegade334

• ** RETIRING **
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
One of the most common causes for that kind of error message (0xc0000135) is .NET-related.

Try installing .NET Framework 1.1 or 3.5 (warning: 3.5 standalone installer is 300Mb+) and have a new go at it. I imagine you're using XP, 32-bit, preferably SP3?

Offline Shirin

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
I tried to use GO but it gave an error
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Offline Renegade334

• ** RETIRING **
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: How to grab online manga from official japanese sites (manual)
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »
^---
They're both at the bottom of the first post, in a single archive (NCP+PFD+GO 100806), just above the list of online manga readers.

I just cooked up a screenshot walkthrough for those who would prefer to have a visual demonstration in handy, in order to see what they're doing wrong or whatever. I will, in the three tutorials below, be using batch files, which are DOS scripts. If you are computer literate, you can use the command line interface by going to the Start menu -> Run -> cmd.exe and navigating to the application folder by yourself before entering the DOS commands. In either case (batch and manual cmd.exe), the commands showcased hereinafter are the same (come on, they're both DOS commands, no need for divergences). In order to keep it simple, stupid (or KISS, for those who are familiar with the term), I won't be using any magnification/resolution or output parameters in the commands - but you can still find them in Spiritovod's post at the top of this thread, along with how they should be formatted.

I'll also be using Internet Explorer for the walkthrough, but as Spirit advised earlier, you can also use Firefox. I cannot vouch for either Chrome, Opera, SeaMonkey, WebKit variants or whatever other browser you're using. But since IE and FF are the most ubiquitous browsers you can find in the ethereal landscape of the Internet, they'll remain the reference for these tutorials.

Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

I didn't write any walkthrough for OMD as I had previously encountered a deep-freeze problem while testing it and I'm not in any hurry to try that again...though, if you have Windows 7 (with Oracle/Sun Microsystems Java installed already), try sandboxing the app before executing the .jar archive, it might help protecting your machine from a digital deadlock.

Offline 6294086

• Winny Club Premium Uploader
  • J-Addict
  • Renommée: 185
  • Read the forum rules before PM-ing me !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Could you upload PFD and GO?

I tried googling but couldn't find them...

Offline Gh0stSnIp3r

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »
Thanks for the how to do it.

I used to to log on these websites but never found a thing

The closes I got was to find Omamori Himari written in simple chinese and found a log of it on dm5.  :p!ssed:

Offline Spiritovod

• >:3
  • J-Legend
  • Renommée: 1582
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 09:14:51 PM »
Ch.01 was playing hard-to-get on my browser
It's common problem for online viewers (especially for DOR engine), but can't be easily reproduced - like, today you can view all chapters at the site without any problem and tomorrow you'll find yourself refreshing chapters 4-5 times just to read it (or grab in case of the mentioned DOR viewer) to the end.

By mere curiosity I tried out the OMD pack but...I do not know if it's due to MY hardware and OS configuration (W7 Ult., x32), but I ended up deep-freezing my PC (keyboard and mouse being unresponsive) until the only resort left was to power-cycle the machine.
I think it's somehow related to Win7' enhanced security and its interaction with Java engine's commands (which are not safe from the Win7 and most of the antiviruses point of view, therefore those commands could be blocked). Maybe I should add "Very unfriendly with Win7" or something to the disadvantages of OMD.

Offline Renegade334

• ** RETIRING **
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »
Here's the first series downloaded with the assistance of Spirit's soft packs. I used Ganoffline for this one, as the online viewer's URL ended with "_SWF_Window.html". Ch.01 was playing hard-to-get on my browser but running a simple command line eventually did the trick.

By mere curiosity I tried out the OMD pack but...I do not know if it's due to MY hardware and OS configuration (W7 Ult., x32), but I ended up deep-freezing my PC (keyboard and mouse being unresponsive) until the only resort left was to power-cycle the machine. I tried again after sandboxing Windows Explorer and it worked a-okay.

Thanks for the tut, Spirit!

Offline Spiritovod

• J-Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 04:53:05 AM »
I use the Fireshot plugin for Firefox, which is able to take screenshots of just about anything (e.g. flash objects) without having to refresh the page (why screen captures often don't work with flash). Of course this means that I have to capture page by page & go back to clip the images down but an image editor & some scripting can take care of that ^^

It's true, but aside from the all additional work you're also restricted by maximum resolution of your monitor, while with the progs you can grab stuff at maximum available resolution (~2100 pixels for pluginfree viewer) even with old monitor. 

GanGan is the only one I know of so far that actually wipes them off.

Except for oneshots, there are still available for most magazines and competitions (in case if those were published online, e.g. at Gangan Online or Joker sites). Even if you can't find it through the site, just google for the title and you'll find link.

Anyway, in case if someone is interested how to automate grabbing manga from NicoNico Seiga, I could write a quick guide or something. Nothing serious, but (for example) most firefox plugins can't parse actual images as images there, so you can't easily add them to batch at once.

Offline Galooza

• The one true Walapalooza
  • J-Recruit
  • Renommée: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
Actually the majority just hide the chapters, GanGan is the only one I know of so far that actually wipes them off. I found a way into Club Sunday's "unreadable" chapters and someone else found a way into Flex Comics. Not really sure that I should post said methods here unless people really wanna know. Actually, Flex wipes the chapters off when the corresponding tankubon comes out I believe.

Offline y3kcjd5

• J-Hardcore
  • Renommée: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:53 AM »
I use the Fireshot plugin for Firefox, which is able to take screenshots of just about anything (e.g. flash objects) without having to refresh the page (why screen captures often don't work with flash). Of course this means that I have to capture page by page & go back to clip the images down but an image editor & some scripting can take care of that ^^

Offline Spiritovod

• J-Legend
    • View Profile
How to grab online manga from official japanese sites
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:22:15 AM »
I'm very grateful to Renegade334 for editing the tutorial.
Please note that you might experience some problems with running those programs under Vista or Win7, because the software mentioned below was developed for XP (with SP2). If you have any questions concerning the manual, please, post them here and don't PM me, because I haven't enough time to reply on every such PM - on the other side maybe someone will help you or, if there will be huge amount of similar questions, I'll add more detailed info to the tutorial.   

Update 1: Renegade334 have added his "graphical" version of the tutorial (with screenshots) below.
Update 2: The list of magazines at the end of the tutorial was remodeled, check it!
Update 3: Russian version of the tutorial is available here (русская версия данного руководства доступна здесь).
Update 4: OMD section was updated to reflect changes in the latest (0.1.0) version of the software.
Update 5: OMD section was updated to reflect changes in the latest (0.1.2) version of the software. Also, list of the magazines was updated.

===============================================

I believe many of you are aware of certain sites created by japanese publishers and manga distributors, where you can read chapters of a certain manga for free and without registration (usually the first and the latest chapters), as well as some previews (for example, first N pages of a volume(s)) for series that have already been published and/or printed.
However, in most cases, those materials are available for only a limited amount of time, and afterwards, they get deleted from the aforementioned sites. Which begs the question: could we (and - if possible - how exactly?) save those materials on HDD for future viewing? The problem is that the majority of those kinds of sites use special plugins, which block common methods like "Save as", PrintScreen and so on, so that software, capable of taking screenshots, will be rendered useless. But, even if we manage to do so, it's still boring to manually screenshot every single page of a manga.
We will therefore check out a few possible solutions in order automate that work.

The new tutorial is under construction... Please, use the latest build of OMD tool for now. Java Environment 1.6 or above is required to run the program. 

List of sites and magazines by following publishers:

Original tutorial (for japanese pack).