Funds $0 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

0%

Author Topic: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei vol.01-15+  (Read 940167 times)

Iramohs, TodADarKSky, chismd and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Tommas

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei vol.01-09+
« Reply #4034 on: March 18, 2013, 01:37:36 AM »
So you do agree that maybe his magic activation speed is higher when his powers are unsealed ? because i can't find any other explanation for him to be able to destroy magic of a magician in one instance and not in another situation.
And really when I think about it he's pretty amazing, I mean from what I understood Gram Dispersion requires you to identify the targeted magic and then use GDispersion before it finishes, so you always have to possess a faster activation speed than your opponent to do it and to think Tatsuya can do it against elites like Lina and Miyuki.

Are you implying he is allowed to use flash cast? I think the problem is that he was not given permission to use that at the time.

Offline 4r2r

• Well Versed Mad Scientist, Gallant Enlightment Provocateur and Grand Prophet of Insanity
  • J-Regular
  • Renommée: 2
  • shhhhh !! my common sense is tingling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: March 18, 2013, 01:23:34 AM »
There is no mention of Tatsuya's memories being erased in the novel and Tatsuya said in V4c11 he doesn't suffer from memory loss, he just had no child memories as he was kept separate from his sister and treated differently right from the beginning.  From the V8 SS we know his mother Miya atleast couldn't erase memories and had to take a different approach with her outer-systematic magic to saver her sister.  

Also the reason given by Miya that she left Tatsuya's love for his sister is more of a whim rather than anything planned. Since the stated goal of the artificial magician experiment carried out on Tatsuya when he was 6 was to create a 'true magician' who could carry on as the next heir to the Yotsuba, his mother could not yet have known the experiment would 'fail'. The decision to make Tatsuya a guardian was only made after they realised their failure.

Sorry about that i was half asleep at that point and didn't bother to check sources ... I might by accident mix some wiki theories into it. Rechecked orginal edited controverssial parts. Thanks for correcting me ...  :WOT!?:

I don't think most of Tatsuya's emotions were deliberately erased to make him a loyal Guardian since the experiment was an attempt to make Tatsuya a viable Yotsuba heir candidate. The erasure was probably an unfortunate consequence of Miya having to make space for the artificial magic processor. Miya probably avoided infringing on the area that "hosted" Tatsuya's love for Miyuki since she expected Miyuki to outlive her.

Actualy quote i was reffering to was :

Quote (selected)
Tatsuya had no intention of sprouting any complaints on that regard. It's not like that function remained within his mental landscape. However, losing all his childhood memories about being treated like a family member was still galling, so saying that he was displeased would be right on the mark.
The adolescent years were accompanied by impulsive anger, tears, falls, mistakes and other embarrassing memories if known by other family members. Yet for Tatsuya, who never enjoyed the luxury of these memories, Miyuki became a "beautiful girl one year younger than he was" by default. Since he was forced to see her in an impartial light from the onset, Tatsuya was well aware that she was a classy, beautiful young girl from the start.

but after thinking about it rather than memory loss as a result of memory erase this indicate they were lost due to him becoming a guardian (not memories before becoming a guardian but familiar memories after becoming a guardian)

I think you're misquoting me or something. I was replying to someone's question that when Tatsuya "reads" someone's Edios to prepare for Regrowth, shouldn't he be able to experience the target's emotion as well? I was pointing out the fact that Tatsuya reads the physical sensation and not the mental emotion when he is doing Regrowth. The original question was mixing up sensation, which is a physical feeling, with emotions which is a mental thing.

more than quote and correct anyone i tried to connect to the topic. I think that reason for reading edios was irrevelant, op also pointed that out since overall goal was to prove whether Tatsuya can enhance his own emotional state by compressing emotional information that comes from another information body (i think i pointed out why it wouldn;t work).

I think that you are however mistaken about pain a bit. Pain by itself is a feeling and even if we discard all semantics and psychology aspects of it it is still a negative feeling of variable intensity. Even when we take regrowth and reading information body into account its not like Tatsuya actualy gets injured by reading information body. So we lack stimuli for pain and yet he feels it ... i mean how then ?!

Simple mechanics is: you get injured and signals are transmited through peripheral nerves into central nervous system. At the end brain receives the information for further processing and action. Here starts to get tricky since we don't know everything about magic in MKnR so we can only speculate. Somewhere along the way those signals/informations are intercepted and stored into information body Tatsuya has access to(i guess it doesn't even matter when or where are intercepted). If i had to i would put my money on cerebral cortex though since there is most likely calculation area for magic.

Now interesting part is all feelings work the same way as pain. You have stimuli that influence production of hormones and neurotransmitters (dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, oxytocin and cortisol and all those are in fact physical entities) and they affect cerebral cortex(electric signals, neurons are also physical entities ) in one way or the other, here or there... In the end all is in your head and even if you include psychology, basic mechanic doesn't really change that much. I don't think you can narrow it down to actualy experiencing particular physical stimuli since everytime Tatsuya reads information body his own( whole information, whole body) body would have to transform to match the information he read ... And even if that would actualy happen still all above holds the truth.

That's all of course is just my personal view on the probelm and it don't have to be right however all magic in mknr is supposed to have some sort of scientific background ... For the record am neither psychology nor biology student.

Offline Jirachier

• J-Addict
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »
Tatsuya doesn't have a problem with illusion magic in general, its just Parade is special and Lina's mad magic activation speed is hard to keep up with even for him.
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

And when using his Decomposition magic 'Gram Dispersion' to destroy magic, as long as he can 'see' the magic, it doesn't matter how strong the other person's magic is. I don't think there is any defence against his counter magic Gram Dispersion except to, on your first try, cast your magic first before he can cancel it.  It's possible when he is at full power it may be stronger but it doesn't matter as Gram Dispersion does not seem to require overwhelming strength only speed. I believe his only problems would come from magic too fast to stop or difficult to track or identify.
So you do agree that maybe his magic activation speed is higher when his powers are unsealed ? because i can't find any other explanation for him to be able to destroy magic of a magician in one instance and not in another situation.
And really when I think about it he's pretty amazing, I mean from what I understood Gram Dispersion requires you to identify the targeted magic and then use GDispersion before it finishes, so you always have to possess a faster activation speed than your opponent to do it and to think Tatsuya can do it against elites like Lina and Miyuki.

Offline Monstratboy

• J-Addict
  • Renommée: 28
  • MKR's Shiba T.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: March 17, 2013, 11:35:49 PM »
did It say in Vol9 that he didn't destroy her Parade because he couldn't do it fast enough ?
If that's the case and taking into consideration that later in the same volume he nullified 2 A-Rank magic at the same time from 2 powerful magicians one of which was Lina, doesn't this mean that when his powers are unsealed his ability to destroy other magics becomes stronger ?
(I also just realized something, I understand that Tatsuya has problems with illusion type magics but if the illusion was being cast in his presence(the user didn't cast it before coming to fight Tatsuya) shouldn't that make it completely useless as long as Tatsuya can destroy it before it takes place ?)
Tatsuya doesn't have a problem with illusion magic in general, its just Parade is special and Lina's mad magic activation speed is hard to keep up with even for him.
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

And when using his Decomposition magic 'Gram Dispersion' to destroy magic, as long as he can 'see' the magic, it doesn't matter how strong the other person's magic is. I don't think there is any defence against his counter magic Gram Dispersion except to, on your first try, cast your magic first before he can cancel it.  It's possible when he is at full power it may be stronger but it doesn't matter as Gram Dispersion does not seem to require overwhelming strength only speed. I believe his only problems would come from magic too fast to stop or difficult to track or identify.

Offline Jirachier

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: March 17, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »
Lina : "Jesu--!!! *BLAM*------ You've jumped off the deep end Tatsuya!!!"

It was a friggin Fragmentation grenade he tossed over his own head!!

She was using stealth Parade magic faster than he could destroy it and so he could't attack her with is magic. He decided physical contact was the best way pin her down and then use magic.  This 'Madness' was his method to disable her and get in close.

What a Bad Ass character!
did It say in Vol9 that he didn't destroy her Parade because he couldn't do it fast enough ?
If that's the case and taking into consideration that later in the same volume he nullified 2 A-Rank magic at the same time from 2 powerful magicians one of which was Lina, doesn't this mean that when his powers are unsealed his ability to destroy other magics becomes stronger ?
(I also just realized something, I understand that Tatsuya has problems with illusion type magics but if the illusion was being cast in his presence(the user didn't cast it before coming to fight Tatsuya) shouldn't that make it completely useless as long as Tatsuya can destroy it before it takes place ?)

Offline blackwhite67

• J-Addict
  • Renommée: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: March 17, 2013, 10:08:59 PM »
Um I'm confused, I was told that Elemental Sight allows him to connect to the information dimension to track people/things/etc and also allows him to read an active magic's Magic Sequence but even without it if someone used a magic through a CAD he can read the Activation Sequence with his artificial mpc which i assume is always activated, no ?

Ah. Well, then I guess Kudou didn't use a CAD. He is an expert on Ancient Magic.

Offline Jirachier

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: March 17, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »
If you are referring to his Elemental Sight, its an active skill so it isn't on 24/7 unless he wants it to be and he avoids he keeping it on to avoid attention.
Um I'm confused, I was told that Elemental Sight allows him to connect to the information dimension to track people/things/etc and also allows him to read an active magic's Magic Sequence but even without it if someone used a magic through a CAD he can read the Activation Sequence with his artificial mpc which i assume is always activated, no ?

Offline blackwhite67

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: March 17, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »
question, in the 9 schools competition when Kudou used that illusion magic on everyone present at the ceremony, why didn't Tatsuya detect it the moment it was used(it took while a few moments), i mean i can understand that he wouldn't be able to find Kudou's position but shouldn't he have noticed that there was some kind of magic being cast even without knowing what kind of magic it was ?

If you are referring to his Elemental Sight, its an active skill so it isn't on 24/7 unless he wants it to be and he avoids he keeping it on to avoid attention.

Offline Monstratboy

• J-Addict
  • MKR's Shiba T.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: March 17, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
Man tatsuya is cool
+Ren for this powerfully accurate yet concise statement and 1st post.  Truer words have never been ever said.

For example, below he tosses a cylindrical object right above both his and his lady friend's heads........
Got some more pictures about vol 9
credited by the same guy
[/size]

Offline Jirachier

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: March 17, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
question, in the 9 schools competition when Kudou used that illusion magic on everyone present at the ceremony, why didn't Tatsuya detect it the moment it was used(it took while a few moments), i mean i can understand that he wouldn't be able to find Kudou's position but shouldn't he have noticed that there was some kind of magic being cast even without knowing what kind of magic it was ?

Offline wee229

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: March 17, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »
Man tatsuya is cool

Offline aespire

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei vol.01-08+
« Reply #4023 on: March 17, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »
I think the key here is defining what strong feeling(feeling as conscious interpretation of emotion; deep feeling should be more accurate but w/e) is. If we assume that strong feelings are entities capable of erasing other feelings and able to control your emotions then logicaly all told hold truth to some degree. It wouldn't matter whether they were positive/negative nature or even intense/feeble in a manner of experience. As we know (or not v4c11) Tatsuya strong feelings and memories were erased in order to make him a guardian. The only remaining strong feeling was his familial love for sister. The reason for this was to "engrave" into him safety and loyality toward possible next heir as a supreme objective. Imho all point of erasing strong feelings was to ensure that in the future nothing is able to overrule that single duty. And as we know it worked out quite well ...

To sum things up I think that Tatsuya would be able to feel "love".  However his "love" would be a feeling not only stripped from its complexity and emotional value but also unable to eclipse his familiar love for his sister and duty towards her (am not sure if it can even be called affection or fondness hence "love"). Same with other feelings, he's able to feel them(from simple registring to the point of suffering) but they are unable to control his judgment or behavioral patterns (although they can influence them in form of conscious decision). I think it's actualy easier to think about it in machine like manner: independent input decision making independent output (well with magic processor device in his head Tatsuya kind of becomes missing link between human and cad)

i concur. Just the fact that they are willing and able to do this in their free time earns them my gratitude. Besides it's not like time between volume releases will shorten if translators would pick up the pace so they might as well take their sweet time with it. But well if one can't wait then learning language is also an option

Reading this kind of made me wonder. High school is supposed to be covered by 15 web arcs. How novel volumes 5th and 8th impact that quota ? To be honest i don't know whether they were part of dengeki magazine or exclusive volumes hence my question

I think you're misquoting me or something. I was replying to someone's question that when Tatsuya "reads" someone's Edios to prepare for Regrowth, shouldn't he be able to experience the target's emotion as well? I was pointing out the fact that Tatsuya reads the physical sensation and not the mental emotion when he is doing Regrowth. The original question was mixing up sensation, which is a physical feeling, with emotions which is a mental thing.

Offline Vampirecat

• J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: March 17, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
I think the key here is defining what strong feeling(feeling as conscious interpretation of emotion; deep feeling should be more accurate but w/e) is. If we assume that strong feelings are entities capable of erasing other feelings and able to control your emotions then logicaly all told hold truth to some degree. It wouldn't matter whether they were positive/negative nature or even intense/feeble in a manner of experience. As we know (or not v4c11) Tatsuya strong feelings and memories were erased in order to make him a guardian. The only remaining strong feeling was his familial love for sister. The reason for this was to "engrave" into him safety and loyality toward possible next heir as a supreme objective. Imho all point of erasing strong feelings was to ensure that in the future nothing is able to overrule that single duty. And as we know it worked out quite well ...

I don't think most of Tatsuya's emotions were deliberately erased to make him a loyal Guardian since the experiment was an attempt to make Tatsuya a viable Yotsuba heir candidate. The erasure was probably an unfortunate consequence of Miya having to make space for the artificial magic processor. Miya probably avoided infringing on the area that "hosted" Tatsuya's love for Miyuki since she expected Miyuki to outlive her.

Offline Monstratboy

• J-Addict
  • MKR's Shiba T.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: March 17, 2013, 11:28:16 AM »
As we know (or not v4c11) Tatsuya strong feelings and memories were erased in order to make him a guardian. The only remaining strong feeling was his familial love for sister. The reason for this was to "engrave" into him safety and loyality toward possible next heir as a supreme objective.
There is no mention of Tatsuya's memories being erased in the novel and Tatsuya said in V4c11 he doesn't suffer from memory loss, he just had no child memories as he was kept separate from his sister and treated differently right from the beginning.  From the V8 SS we know his mother Miya atleast couldn't erase memories and had to take a different approach with her outer-systematic magic to saver her sister.  

Also the reason given by Miya that she left Tatsuya's love for his sister is more of a whim rather than anything planned. Since the stated goal of the artificial magician experiment carried out on Tatsuya when he was 6 was to create a 'true magician' who could carry on as the next heir to the Yotsuba, his mother could not yet have known the experiment would 'fail'. The decision to make Tatsuya a guardian was only made after they realised their failure.

Offline 4r2r

• Well Versed Mad Scientist, Gallant Enlightment Provocateur and Grand Prophet of Insanity
  • J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4020 on: March 17, 2013, 06:30:23 AM »
however, emotions are not a physical sensation which he will feel when he reads the Edios hence that will not be something he will experience when he is reading the Edios in preparation for Regrowth. It is just as well to say that he experience every physical sensation a target experienced in the past (duration dependent on how much he is going to regrowth) within the 24 hour period, however, it is the pain that is picked out as that is something that is extremely difficult for anyone to experience all within such a short time. Extreme amount of pain can cause someone to lose their mind. In any case, while he likely can indeed read a person's Edios without using Regrowth, he isn't likely to do it at all with how his character is.

I think the key here is defining what strong feeling(feeling as conscious interpretation of emotion; deep feeling should be more accurate but w/e) is. If we assume that strong feelings are entities capable of erasing other feelings and able to control your emotions then logicaly all told hold truth to some degree. It wouldn't matter whether they were positive/negative nature or even intense/feeble in a manner of experience. As we know Tatsuya strong feelings were erased in order to make him a guardian. The only remaining strong feeling was his familial love for sister. To sum things up I think that Tatsuya would be able to feel "love".  However his "love" would be a feeling not only stripped from its complexity and emotional value but also unable to eclipse his familiar love for his sister and duty towards her (am not sure if it can even be called affection or fondness hence "love"). Same with other feelings, he's able to feel them(from simple registring to the point of suffering) but they are unable to control his judgment or behavioral patterns (although they can influence them in form of conscious decision). I think it's actualy easier to think about it in machine like manner: independent input decision making independent output (well with magic processor device in his head Tatsuya kind of becomes missing link between human and cad)

That seems to be a question with a rather obvious answer. Yes, it is the raw scan. I hope you aren't so impatient with the translators that you would expect them to release a full translation less than a week after it was released in Japan.

i concur. Just the fact that they are willing and able to do this in their free time earns them my gratitude. Besides it's not like time between volume releases will shorten if translators would pick up the pace so they might as well take their sweet time with it. But well if one can't wait then learning language is also an option

Edit: For those of you who are curious, this ends around section 11 in the Arc 5 summaries, roughly 2/3 of the way through Arc 5. It is possible he is combining the old Arc 5/6 into one larger arc and releasing it in 3 volumes, unlike the other 2-novel arcs before. I wouldn't mind that personally, since I couldn't see why he separated Arc 5 and 6 in the first place, and I feel it is a bit short to have a full 4 volumes for all of it. Looking forward to June 10 when the next volume is released :D

Reading this kind of made me wonder. High school is supposed to be covered by 15 web arcs. How novel volumes 5th and 8th impact that quota ? To be honest i don't know whether they were part of dengeki magazine or exclusive volumes hence my question

Offline EnigmaticAxiom

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 17, 2013, 04:01:19 AM »
Ah, thanks for the heads up. I haven't really been reading much of this thread lately because there has been some random sounding debates that I'm too sleepy to read through. Good to know.

Offline blackwhite67

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 17, 2013, 02:38:37 AM »
That seems to be a question with a rather obvious answer. Yes, it is the raw scan. I hope you aren't so impatient with the translators that you would expect them to release a full translation less than a week after it was released in Japan.

Edit: For those of you who are curious, this ends around section 11 in the Arc 5 summaries, roughly 2/3 of the way through Arc 5. It is possible he is combining the old Arc 5/6 into one larger arc and releasing it in 3 volumes, unlike the other 2-novel arcs before. I wouldn't mind that personally, since I couldn't see why he separated Arc 5 and 6 in the first place, and I feel it is a bit short to have a full 4 volumes for all of it. Looking forward to June 10 when the next volume is released :D

That has already been confirmed by Flere821's translation of some spoiler posts.

Offline EnigmaticAxiom

• J-Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: March 17, 2013, 12:23:03 AM »
Is it raw?

Offline xandrew

• J-Member
  • Renommée: -91
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: March 16, 2013, 11:55:48 PM »
Volume 9:

Is it raw?

Offline blackwhite67

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: March 16, 2013, 11:41:16 PM »
Volume 9:

I was waiting for this. Thanks DarkDoom!

Offline DarkDooM

• Godfather of jCafe
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 2444
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 16, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
Volume 9:

Offline BloodPrincess

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: March 16, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »
Hi, im new to this website :hi:
and i dont really know how anything works yet but i'd like to thank the translators for vol12 chapter13 so thanks  :muwah:

Offline aespire

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: March 16, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »
Hi everybody,

I have been thinking about Tatsuya's Regrow magic on others. It says that he first needs to read into the history of Eidos information layer of the other person and relive the pain they have suffered by multiple times and choose the backup point within 24 hours then perform the restoration.  :ronin: So strictly speaking he can just read other persons Eidos without having to perform the magic. And if pain can be engraved into Eidos, can't other emotions as well?
 :onegai: For instance if a guy had a passionate night with a hot chick just the night before. Can't he read into his Eidos and feel the awesome sensation too, but only much much more intense? I think if that's the case, even a light kiss on the cheek well make him light headed by the increase intensity :lovelove: even when it is stated in the novel that he cannot experience strong emotions. I also wonder how much of the pain he can actually feel when he use Regrow on others? Maybe he doesn't feel 100% of it as Isori thought that he can't imagine the pain of having shot or leg cut off 150 or 10000 times and it will drive anyone crazy.
As far as we know, he feels 100% of it the pain. He cannot feel strong emotions, however, emotions are not a physical sensation which he will feel when he reads the Edios hence that will not be something he will experience when he is reading the Edios in preparation for Regrowth. It is just as well to say that he experience every physical sensation a target experienced in the past (duration dependent on how much he is going to regrowth) within the 24 hour period, however, it is the pain that is picked out as that is something that is extremely difficult for anyone to experience all within such a short time. Extreme amount of pain can cause someone to lose their mind. In any case, while he likely can indeed read a person's Edios without using Regrowth, he isn't likely to do it at all with how his character is.

Offline SantoAbraham

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 16, 2013, 11:35:38 AM »
Hi everybody,

I have been thinking about Tatsuya's Regrow magic on others. It says that he first needs to read into the history of Eidos information layer of the other person and relive the pain they have suffered by multiple times and choose the backup point within 24 hours then perform the restoration.  :ronin: So strictly speaking he can just read other persons Eidos without having to perform the magic. And if pain can be engraved into Eidos, can't other emotions as well?
 :onegai: For instance if a guy had a passionate night with a hot chick just the night before. Can't he read into his Eidos and feel the awesome sensation too, but only much much more intense? I think if that's the case, even a light kiss on the cheek well make him light headed by the increase intensity :lovelove: even when it is stated in the novel that he cannot experience strong emotions. I also wonder how much of the pain he can actually feel when he use Regrow on others? Maybe he doesn't feel 100% of it as Isori thought that he can't imagine the pain of having shot or leg cut off 150 or 10000 times and it will drive anyone crazy.

Offline blackwhite67

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: March 16, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »
Thanks

Offline Chimurry

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 16, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
Just wondering, is there a new chapter of D7 in this month's Comic Alive magazine? Or does it come out only every several months?

If I not wrong @Enigmatic or @Mostradboy?? said 4 releases every 3 months each, so the last should be april or may, I think the cliffhanger will be really hard to hold, cuz the argument wakes really high interests.

Offline blackwhite67

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 16, 2013, 08:49:28 AM »
Just wondering, is there a new chapter of D7 in this month's Comic Alive magazine? Or does it come out only every several months?

Offline EnigmaticAxiom

• J-Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: March 16, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »
The name Joe fits more as an American....but "Dick" is such a....... Is the translation for the soldier's name really Dick?  :huh: :huh:
Yes it's Dick. That's also an American name (Richard), so it's not strange at all. If you're really curious, you can look at the raws or listen to the drama DVD. It's pretty easy to hear there.

Offline blackwhite67

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: March 16, 2013, 06:36:21 AM »
I've been hearing alot about this series recently. So, I'm curious to know how bad the harem/fanservice is over all. How much romance is there? I'm kind of sick of all the usual LN tropes that pander to otaku desperate to find love, so am I going to be disappointed if I pick up this series?

Romance is there, but its a lot more subtle. Its not at all mushy so I would say that the level and degree of romance is excellent. I don't know if you could count this as harem, but if you define harem as two or more girls after the MC, including his sister, then yes it's harem. I assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Offline 0208

• J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: March 16, 2013, 05:26:28 AM »
Now that you have posted a reply, you should be able to see the spoilers. As for the LN, go visit Baka-Tsuki. Remember to Thank the translators after you are done.

P.s: Never mind, here's the link:

Use spoiler tag

Offline 4r2r

• J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: March 16, 2013, 05:13:35 AM »
I've been hearing alot about this series recently. So, I'm curious to know how bad the harem/fanservice is over all. How much romance is there? I'm kind of sick of all the usual LN tropes that pander to otaku desperate to find love, so am I going to be disappointed if I pick up this series?

I think that explaining things would spoil the fun however it's not a genuine romance/harem ... you might try to read manga to get a good feel for it. Same name, author and story is in accordance with the book ... If you like what you see the novel won't disappoint you.

Offline dragon695

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: March 16, 2013, 04:48:58 AM »

Offline xandrew

• J-Member
  • Renommée: -91
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: March 16, 2013, 02:01:28 AM »
The name Joe fits more as an American....but "Dick" is such a....... Is the translation for the soldier's name really Dick?  :huh: :huh:

Offline Rac

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: March 15, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »
Hey everyone :hi:

I'm new here...but I'm absolutely crazy about Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei :XD:

where can i get to read the complete novel.. I mean, i can read that you have added links, but why can't i see them???  
Please Help me out here :wakuwaku:

Now that you have posted a reply, you should be able to see the spoilers. As for the LN, go visit Baka-Tsuki. Remember to Thank the translators after you are done.

P.s: Never mind, here's the link:

Offline mc2011

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: March 15, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
Can anyone tell me how many volume of the LN allready being release?

Offline malason13

• J-Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: March 15, 2013, 06:08:38 PM »

where can i get to read the complete novel.. I mean, i can read that you have added links, but why can't i see them??? 
You can read the novel at Baka-Tsuki. And for the links, please read the rules.

Offline Meiko

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: March 15, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »

Offline Rune.

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: March 15, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
In the end I guess it is a matter of personal preference  :boredo:
and i still don't like him ...

But since nakamura was picked for drama cd i doubt they would pick someone else for the possible anime. I mean they most possibly explored other options and still decided on him, so why would they change him all of sudden ?

Personal preference, yeah. Ah well. The part where he was a cat (is it a cat? or a dog? I have no idea) had me laughing, though. Thank you for that. I mean, what the hell, a small animal. Haha

It's all about the politics ... If they weren't needed or were truly feared, clans themselves would erase yotsuba as a direct threat. That don't happens though, why ? They contribute greatly to national power and defense as one of the most powerful families in the country, at the same time they have neither means nor ambitions to reign and maintain status quo with others.

Destruction of yotsuba would leave great void impossible to fill by masters clan(i mean damn didn't yotsuba went against asian aliance by themselves ?)and saegusa would be the new one everyone are vary of). Leaving aside turmoil, opening for attack by the New Soviet Union or Asian Alliance or even war over secrets left by yotsuba.  You can't exacly leave alone something that fell short of declearing a war against masters clan(nation?)without an answer especialy since it was all done by a single person. Guilty has to be found in order to recive fair trial and capital punishment.

Now that's just part of the problem since the person in question is strategic level magician and a part of the military. Forget treason consequences or value as an asset for external enemies, the potential threat posed by rogue stratetic magician earns him death penalty. Even assuming he's too valuable to kill only life in seclusion under surveillance and supervisor awaits(we can forgive but won't forget). So reasumming yeah i think no one benefits from this from this

Hmm... I think the other families leave the Yotsuba alone because they don't exactly know how to deal with them. The Yotsuba are defined as very secretive and very powerful, after all, so if an all-out war broke out between the Yotsuba and the other families, the families would still suffer irredeemable loss because of the power of the Yotsuba. But yeah, I agree with you about the Yotsuba not having the ambition to reign. I think they have the means though, haha, if Miyuki and Tatsuya were to formally be conscripted into the family.

I also agree that the destruction of the Yotsuba would leave an impossible void to fill, but from the perspective of the ten Master clans, if the Yotsuba were to be erased, then the secrets that they carry will no doubt reinforce the powers of magicians, even if the means to empower them are non-standard/artificial. That is, unless the greedy people get a hold of the information and maybe sell them to the enemies of magicians, like Blanche. Then Blanche would profit from the whole thing.

But yeah, Tatsuya going rogue is a bad idea (he still can, though! hahaha), since Miyuki will be caught up in the mess and no one wants that.

P.S.: I feel like I forgot what we were originally talking about. Heh.

Replied: March 15, 2013, 01:21:44 PM
Expressing deep regret:

Just listened to the drama CD. I only understand the basic Japanese terms for mother and brother, so I just focused on the voices, but judging from those alone, it seems like the setting is Volume 8.
Anyway, I take back what I said about Nakamura being too "adult" (I still have no other word for that). He sounds awesome as Tatsuya. Although isn't Tatsuya supposed to be around 13 when he is first seen with Miyuki? Hm...

Miyuki sounds cute, too. I thought her VA would sound more girly, but I do prefer Hayami's voice. I mean, it's Haqua!

Offline 4r2r

• J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: March 15, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »
Haha, no, I never meant that I wanted Fukuyama as the VA because Lelouch and Tatsuya are sis-cons. I'm saying that Fukuyama will do well as Tatsuya because he has played the role of a sis-con. Besides, it's not as if Fukuyama doesn't know how to play a cold and aloof character; he's an actor.

In the end I guess it is a matter of personal preference  :boredo:
DN Awards 2010/11: Best Seiyuu 2010 Nominee - Fukuyama Jun

and i still don't like him ...

http://dengekiya.com/p/4942330054314/
But since nakamura was picked for drama cd i doubt they would pick someone else for the possible anime. I mean they most possibly explored other options and still decided on him, so why would they change him ?

As for Tatsuya destroying the Yotsuba clan... I didn't say that he was going to do it, just that destroying the clan is one of his options. Of course I know that Tatsuya is capable of creating a plan to not expose himself or Miyuki, but the surest way for the two of them to completely sever their ties with the Yotsuba is to destroy the Yotsuba. Also, a scenario where one of the strongest clans is erased benefits the rest of the 10 Families greatly, because a lot of them are very wary of the mysteries that surround the Yotsuba. If the Yotsuba were gone, I think that the Saegusa family would no doubt be deemed as the strongest because their main rival wouldn't exist anymore.

And, as you have said, Tatsuya has been stripped of his emotions, so why does he need supervision? It's not as if he's going to run wild and kill anything he sees. He lives a nice enough life with Miyuki without anybody bothering them. I don't think he'll really lose anything if the Yotsuba or the Independent Magic Battalion weren't there to watch over him. He'd probably get attacked more by his enemies, though, hahaha.

It's all about the politics ... If they weren't needed or were truly feared, clans themselves would erase yotsuba as a direct threat. That don't happens though, why ? They contribute greatly to national power and defense as one of the most powerful families in the country, at the same time they have neither means nor ambitions to reign and maintain status quo with others.

Destruction of yotsuba would leave great void impossible to fill by masters clan(i mean damn didn't yotsuba went against asian aliance by themselves?) and saegusa would be the new one everyone are vary of. Leaving aside turmoil, opening for attack by the New Soviet Union or Asian Alliance or even war over secrets left by yotsuba.  You can't exacly leave alone something that fell short of declearing a war against masters clan(nation?)without an answer especialy since it was all done by a single person. Guilty has to be found in order to recive fair trial and capital punishment.

Now that's just part of the problem since the person in question is strategic level magician and a part of the military. Forget treason consequences or value as an asset for external enemies, the potential threat posed by rogue stratetic magician earns him death penalty. Even assuming he's too valuable to kill only life in seclusion under surveillance and supervision awaits(we can forgive but won't forget). So reasumming yeah i think no one benefits from this from this.

Offline EXM

• J-Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: March 15, 2013, 09:50:46 AM »
Is there any reason why the cast from the drama cd can't be retained? I liked Tatsuya's voice in the cd, same with Miyuki's. Fukuyama would be hard to get used to as Tatsuya just because I can't seem to remember him playing an apathetic role well, really. His character have a lot of inflection, usually.

Offline Rune.

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: March 15, 2013, 07:44:23 AM »

On the one side you have ruthless, sophisticated, arrogant, selfish, fueled by hatred and great pride who enjoy challenges. Lelouch VA emphasize all of that with his deep unique commanding tone and mannerism(and damn that epic wicked laugh). On the other hand we have aloof, cold, analytic person who neither show his feelings nor enjoy being in a spotlight. Somone who is stripped from early memories, fury, despair, envy, hatred, disgust, gluttony, lust, sloth, and ... love. So you have emotion driven and emotionaly deprived characters and you want the same VA just because they are both siscons ?! I want to point out that i haven't said that Jun Fukuyama is bad VA or even that he shouldn't be Tatsuya VA. I am well aware those people live from voice acting so things like emotion mannierism and so on would actualy change but as far as CG is concerned(and i mean battle scenes where he's actualy cold and detached) it's not good enough, to me at least. It looks like you try to find VA based on similar circumstances between characters  too much and that actualy backfires :P

I also think your a bit off in your last statement. If Miyuki wanted to destroy yotsuba he would probably do it but if it's only severing ties with them ... he would come up with some way that wouldn't make them perceived as a threat to 10 families (since he lacks grudge of his own against them). Scenario where he goes wild and erase one of the strongest clan dont benefit anyone, also you can't exacly leave strategic class magician for himself without any supervision.

Haha, no, I never meant that I wanted Fukuyama as the VA because Lelouch and Tatsuya are sis-cons. I'm saying that Fukuyama will do well as Tatsuya because he has played the role of a sis-con. Besides, it's not as if Fukuyama doesn't know how to play a cold and aloof character; he's an actor.

As for Tatsuya destroying the Yotsuba clan... I didn't say that he was going to do it, just that destroying the clan is one of his options. Of course I know that Tatsuya is capable of creating a plan to not expose himself or Miyuki, but the surest way for the two of them to completely sever their ties with the Yotsuba is to destroy the Yotsuba. Also, a scenario where one of the strongest clans is erased benefits the rest of the 10 Families greatly, because a lot of them are very wary of the mysteries that surround the Yotsuba. If the Yotsuba were gone, I think that the Saegusa family would no doubt be deemed as the strongest because their main rival wouldn't exist anymore.

And, as you have said, Tatsuya has been stripped of his emotions, so why does he need supervision? It's not as if he's going to run wild and kill anything he sees. He lives a nice enough life with Miyuki without anybody bothering them. I don't think he'll really lose anything if the Yotsuba or the Independent Magic Battalion weren't there to watch over him. He'd probably get attacked more by his enemies, though, hahaha.

Offline Vampirecat

• J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: March 15, 2013, 07:31:44 AM »
What do think???, is like hint Mary subtle scent attack or just nothing??
Reading it was never clear why Mayumi took so much interest in Tats since start, is like she was waiting Tats to come, even some dialogue Leo and others questioning Tats if He knew Her before School, well is said She likes Magic theory and her practical is just cuz her profile, She likes more research than others themes, even the mock battle authorization came really quick, I saying all this cuz in Yuutosei comes an scene Mayumi reading web blog which talking about an incident inside a Shopping Center with 2 unknown teenagers involve and secretly slip away, only left low quality picture with look away figure, hardly to identify the person.

Mari might have used perfume to try to arouse Tatsuya, but it's unlikely that she used magic to get the scent to his nose or facilitate its effect since he would have detected the spell. As for Yuutousei, I don't consider it canon since ch.9 included a girl other than Mari in the Disciplinary Committee (unlike the MKnR manga where Mari was the only girl), then had Miyuki refer to Tatsuya as "Ani" during a conversation with Mari.

Offline gamblizz

• J-Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: March 15, 2013, 05:10:58 AM »
errr, no more D7 summaries? :huh:

Offline Rava

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: March 14, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
I just want to make sure of something, I mean it was said that Gram Demolition and Gram Dispersion are both considered to be the strongest counter magics.
Is the main difference between them is that while they both accomplish the same thing Gram Dispersion isn't a ball of psion so it requires less energy but more difficulty and can defeat stronger spells than gram demolition but gram demolition can destroy several spells at once even if the spells are not the same one while gram dispersion can defeat several spells at once via mass targeting but they have to be similar. Is that it ?

There's definitions of both spells in the Volume 4 Preamble. 

Offline Jirachier

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: March 14, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
I just want to make sure of something, I mean it was said that Gram Demolition and Gram Dispersion are both considered to be the strongest counter magics.
Is the main difference between them is that while they both accomplish the same thing Gram Dispersion isn't a ball of psion so it requires less energy but more difficulty and can defeat stronger spells than gram demolition but gram demolition can destroy several spells at once even if the spells are not the same one while gram dispersion can defeat several spells at once via mass targeting but they have to be similar. Is that it ?

Offline Chimurry

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: March 14, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
No offense but I can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to say. What was that about another series? In any case, there is no way D7 is a one-shot. This is the first story of Tatsuya's sophomore year with the introduction of Minami and several new main characters like that male Honoka, not to mention the Saegusa twins. This is simply too integral to the plot to be written off as a one shot.

:huh: ??, maybe you mean Shizuka little brother, anyway I just trying to get someones help with the Title: Its Ga Rei, sorry for the mess.

I'm pretty sure I posted a translation before regarding D7 being the web-novel-like version of the LNs which will be released in the future, something like a spoiler-free and non-edited version. Not sure why you thought it was a one shot.

Well, its not strictly One Shot format in the way the Story ends there, the example I used was Ga Rei (even thought I wasn't remember the Title, sorry about that) and Ga Rei Tsuina no Shou, both belong to the same story, but Tsuina no Shou was taken as the entrance of Takiguchi Tsuina, Her training and end there to "switch" to the main plot.
So my pov is Satou Sensei use the same scheme, off course I can be wrong, but it will be hard wait until next spring comes release the full development of the new arc, hoping the author have excelent health, luck and best vibes to be ok (Date a Live end cuz mangaka health problems), so that's why I say "One Shot SS".

:maikka:

Offline 4r2r

• J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: March 14, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »

If mahouka is ever animated, who do you think should voice Tatsuya? I was reading the series from the beginning again, suddenly I imagined the voice of the main character from clannad while reading Tatsuya's words. He also did the voice of main character from ore no imouto ga konnani kawaii wake ga nai.Maybe it is because they are both sis-cons.

A long time ago in a forum page far, far away I found something interesting :

Something interesting popped up in another forum:
Nagi no Asukara
Look closely at the Cast and Characters Listing.

Quote (selected)

Cast Of VA:
Kana Hanazawa as Manaka Mukaido
Natsuki Hanae as Hikari Sakishima
Aya Endo as Honami Sakurai
Kikuko Inoue as Miya Shiba
Saori Hayami as Miyuki Shiba
Tarusuke Shingaki as Sanada
Toru Ohkawa as Harunobu Kazama
Yūichi Nakamura as Tatsuya Shiba

also lately released MKnR drama CD confirms that cast

you dear mister might've called it. :yay:

Edit: deeply sory if it ended as a repost though, digging through ... 40 page left  :hero:

Offline EnigmaticAxiom

• J-Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: March 14, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure I posted a translation before regarding D7 being the web-novel-like version of the LNs which will be released in the future, something like a spoiler-free and non-edited version. Not sure why you thought it was a one shot.

Offline blackwhite67

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: March 14, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »

BTW: @Black, I think D7 its like one shot SS version, I just have a memory lapsus and my laptop dont help me with history log, with a manga work, which I saw they did that, this serie is from exorcist with swords, female MC is same as Miyuki: "Yamato Nadeshico" type and the one shot is when one of the 2dary character scout new girl in Kyoto which absorbs spiritual power when her feelings are strong, in anime version came with a prequel.
So I think the only probable fact D7 and 4th arc (1-9 Schools competition, 2-Thesis or Yokohama, 3-prequel) is related to the inner 10th Master Clans conflicts and their battle to weaken Yotsubas, still and according the my pov schedule, looks like we need to wait 1 year at least to vol 13 release with new arc development, other option could be Dengeki and Satou sensei doing some kind of joint release of vol 11 and 12 with special version of SS collection, like addtional SS or more pics, like DxD did with Akeno.  :gush:  :lovelove:

Is only me or Lina from the back looks like Ravel (High School DxD) with short hair???
 :doko:

No offense but I can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to say. What was that about another series? In any case, there is no way D7 is a one-shot. This is the first story of Tatsuya's sophomore year with the introduction of Minami and several new main characters like that male Honoka, not to mention the Saegusa twins. This is simply too integral to the plot to be written off as a one shot.

Offline Awrya

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: March 14, 2013, 04:48:40 AM »
What do think???, is like hint Mary subtle scent attack or just nothing??
Reading it was never clear why Mayumi took so much interest in Tats since start, is like she was waiting Tats to come, even some dialogue Leo and others questioning Tats if He knew Her before School, well is said She likes Magic theory and her practical is just cuz her profile, She likes more research than others themes, even the mock battle authorization came really quick, I saying all this cuz in Yuutosei comes an scene Mayumi reading web blog which talking about an incident inside a Shopping Center with 2 unknown teenagers involve and secretly slip away, only left low quality picture with look away figure, hardly to identify the person.
Unlikely she used her scent magic, since 1) mental interference magic is heavily restricted (Public Moral Chief going against law?), 2) the flow of psions would give away that she's casting magic and 3) if she did use it against Tatsuya, he'd have definitely declined joining the Public Moral Committee (being the subordinate of someone who could force him to reveal his secrets?).
If anything, I believe that was the first hint the author gave us that Mari possessed some magic that uses scents, which is later confirmed in Vol.2.

About Mayumi, it probably didn't take her long to deduct that Tatsuya might be the one who downed the criminal in Yuutousei, given how close the siblings are (Miyuki was confirmed at the crime scene). She probably just wanted to verify if the second person was Tatsuya.