Funds $9 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

8%

Author Topic: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei vol.01-17+  (Read 1348860 times)

tungizzi, yongwk1995 and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SamKawaiiSenpai

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 1
  • Life is Just SO Weird!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei vol.01-16+
« Reply #9989 on: July 24, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
Guys Just Found Volume 16 PDF file and EPUB but donno if it's completed if you want it just P.M me and by the way could anyone send me volume 15 It's the only one i'm missing  :hi:

Offline hoocx

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9988 on: July 24, 2015, 08:38:47 AM »
I've been very busy with some RL issues, but I swear this will be done with by tomorrow. 5 am GMT to be more precise. Then I will be a lot more active as I was before.

wow, much appreciated update, seeing how the files in the mediafire hasn't been updated for awhile!
well though its mentioned alot of times already, but still...
a very big thank you to all the translators / staff continuing to work on this translation project~!! :D

i really can't stand to think how long i would have to wait for yen press to even reach vol 14... ><

Offline Eins

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9987 on: July 24, 2015, 08:10:08 AM »
someone hire toaru Index's TL'ers for mahouka! new testament vol 13 completed in less than 10 days. TEN FRIGGIN DAYS!

All hail js06. On serious note, he only work for something he really like and his trans schedule already packed with heavy object, toaru, zashiki, and frigging HORIZON

Offline viper3110

• RPhantom
  • J-Starter
  • Renommée: -1
  • BORN IN THIS WORLD TO CONQUER ALL. WAIT N WATCH !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9986 on: July 24, 2015, 07:53:17 AM »
is there any link for  MKNR vol 15 translated part like the one we have for volume 16

Offline bobbyness

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9985 on: July 24, 2015, 06:37:59 AM »
someone hire toaru Index's TL'ers for mahouka! new testament vol 13 completed in less than 10 days. TEN FRIGGIN DAYS!

Offline Gekari

• J-Recruit
  • My current Japanese level: slug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9984 on: July 24, 2015, 03:06:08 AM »
Guys this is a Mahouka thread... Post NGNL somewhere else lol

Sorry. I just mentioned this title because it is currently being published and translated by Yen Press. Everybody was so kind so I wished to show my gratitude.

Forgive-me for messing Mahouka's thread.

About Mahouka, I'm looking forward for volume 17 first chapter preview. (It feels like for ever to be released).

Offline NovelLight

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9983 on: July 23, 2015, 07:12:13 PM »
Guys this is a Mahouka thread... Post NGNL somewhere else lol

Offline Gekari

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9982 on: July 23, 2015, 06:44:15 PM »
For NGNL I have the first 5 volumes as epub and the 6th as pdf, I uploaded them to
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Thank you very much Oniichan (it sounds so Miyuki... if it was Onii-sama would be identical hahaha)

^^

Offline Onichan

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9981 on: July 23, 2015, 06:17:56 PM »
if you want to read no game no life LN, you could download the baka reader ex app and the backup database I uploaded a while back. It has vol 1-5 and half completed vol 6. and vol 1-14 of mahouka
For NGNL I have the first 5 volumes as epub and the 6th as pdf, I uploaded them to
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Offline erbrah

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9980 on: July 23, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »
Galera in how is the volume of translation 15:16? Before just missing the issue, but time does anyone say anything of them here.

Type is still in editing do?

another question, has some people wondering here Forums new on the continuation of the volume of translations 17 onwards, will continue avendo translation or had any problems with the RAWS?

NOTE: peopl apologize for English errors, text translated from Portuguese into English via google translator.

Mediafire files haven't changed in a while.  Not sure if no updates or no progress.

Offline phat008

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9979 on: July 23, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »
I've been very busy with some RL issues, but I swear this will be done with by tomorrow. 5 am GMT to be more precise. Then I will be a lot more active as I was before.

Thanks for the update....yep, you were missed. ^__^

Offline winterfall

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9978 on: July 23, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »

lol, work stuff or school stuff? anyway good luck for you.

Offline MknR Rec

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 59
  • B4 PM/email, u already chkd status in wbsite icon?
    • View Profile
    • Status
« Reply #9977 on: July 23, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »

Offline harks87

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9976 on: July 23, 2015, 08:19:21 AM »
guys what happened to MKNR i dont see him here for long time already ,did any body know? :huh:

Offline Gekari

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9975 on: July 23, 2015, 04:19:07 AM »
if you want to read no game no life LN, you could download the baka reader ex app and the backup database I uploaded a while back. It has vol 1-5 and half completed vol 6. and vol 1-14 of mahouka

Thanks.
While I'm waiting Mahouka I'll read Shiro and Sora.
(I lost my backup... T~T all Mahouka, Oreimo and NGNL I had vanished when I upgraded my smartphone).

@testeottilio Osu!

Offline TheLaG

• J-Member
    • View Profile
    • trololo
« Reply #9974 on: July 23, 2015, 12:54:54 AM »
another question, has some people wondering here Forums new on the continuation of the volume of translations 17 onwards, will continue avendo translation or had any problems with the RAWS?

Right now, volume 15 and 16 is in progress, later, !!!MAYBE!!!, they will do volume 17, but before that, they need to finish gap between current latest volume and last translated

Offline bobbyness

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: July 23, 2015, 12:37:59 AM »
About YenPress, I just read a review about No Game No Life vol. 1, and now I'm afraid.

Believe me or not, I never bought LN, because here, in Brazil, we barely have manga prints. (Really.... I never saw any LN for sale, online or in bookstores).

I'm not completely desperate because I discovered recently that all these ten years hearing Japanese music and reading/trying to read raws were worth it. I thought it would be like GT, but when I write down hiragana it makes sense grammatically (I've been procrastinating, but I studied something and obviously thank you Kanjitomo [my one true friend]).

I hope YenPress provides digital versions for Mahouka, so I can buy and it'll not take so much space or be held in customs (we have a serious issues regarding imported products, besides the fact that eventually it will cost twice or triple the original price).

Offline testeottilio

• J-Recruit
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9972 on: July 22, 2015, 11:12:05 PM »
Galera in how is the volume of translation 15:16? Before just missing the issue, but time does anyone say anything of them here.

Type is still in editing do?

NOTE: peopl apologize for English errors, text translated from Portuguese into English via google translator.

Offline Darkonus

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9971 on: July 22, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »
Sorry to sound like a broken record but does anyone know where to find the updates to the recent volume (16)? Got a new laptop and couldn't move the bookmarks to this new one. (Already threw out the old one since it kept crashing).

Offline JZephK

• Peanuts.
  • J-Starter
  • Source Material > Adaptations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: July 22, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »
Sorry to sound like a broken record but does anyone know where to find the updates to the recent volume (16)? Got a new laptop and couldn't move the bookmarks to this new one. (Already threw out the old one since it kept crashing).

Offline Gekari

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9969 on: July 22, 2015, 06:49:18 PM »
Aren't light novels books and thus by the Brazilian Constitution tax-free? Article 150 IIRC.

:elephantdancef:
You're right.

:onionfacepalm:
I never imported anything because I was afraid it would be held (just like my brother's cellphone).

I just checked and it really is an exception to taxation.

Mahouka is the first book I'm wishing to import by external means. (Usually I try to obtain my stuff by fisical stores, they do all to me :evil-thought:).

But Yeah!!! Thank you.

Uhm... digital or not I'll get it to support Satou-sensei.

Offline lavos44

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: July 22, 2015, 05:19:27 PM »
About YenPress, I just read a review about No Game No Life vol. 1, and now I'm afraid.

Believe me or not, I never bought LN, because here, in Brazil, we barely have manga prints. (Really.... I never saw any LN for sale, online or in bookstores).

I'm not completely desperate because I discovered recently that all these ten years hearing Japanese music and reading/trying to read raws were worth it. I thought it would be like GT, but when I write down hiragana it makes sense grammatically (I've been procrastinating, but I studied something and obviously thank you Kanjitomo [my one true friend]).

I hope YenPress provides digital versions for Mahouka, so I can buy and it'll not take so much space or be held in customs (we have a serious issues regarding imported products, besides the fact that eventually it will cost twice or triple the original price).
Aren't light novels books and thus by the Brazilian Constitution tax-free? Article 150 IIRC.

Offline Gekari

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: July 22, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »

Offline expertus

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9966 on: July 21, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »
Hello!!! Can I ask a question? Does Yen Press distribute light novel volumes in the philippines? Or is it only in US? If it is only in US, then please don't stop translating light novels!!! I will die if I don't know what will happen in future volumes of this novel. Also many thanks to all translators.

a fellow bro from the phil. sup man nice to see a fellow fan from the same country

hello mga kapatid...

as for forbidden's question, unfortunately we can't. There's almost no english LN translation here in Philippines.
You can however buy it Amazon. Still, Yenpress only updates it's LN 2-3 times a year.

That's why I'm pissed when a LN is license since it would take years before you could follow it again.
Heck, I lost my interest to some of the novels that I was reading before when they were licensed and then taken off from Baka-tsuki (Suzumiya Haruhi and Shana for example)...

Yenpress' translation is better than the fan-translation however but there are few times that the yenpress translation will make you cringe due to the awkwardness of the "formal" translation.

Offline bobbyness

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9965 on: July 21, 2015, 12:09:09 PM »
Hello!!! Can I ask a question? Does Yen Press distribute light novel volumes in the philippines? Or is it only in US? If it is only in US, then please don't stop translating light novels!!! I will die if I don't know what will happen in future volumes of this novel. Also many thanks to all translators.

a fellow bro from the phil. sup man nice to see a fellow fan from the same country

Offline puchina

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9964 on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »
In short, to put it bluntly....in a simple line........YOLO so enjoy your life and try whatever it's necessary to make your "wish" within your reach

Offline bacon123

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9963 on: July 21, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
To put it short Yen press won't use fan translations for two reasons

1) the legal issues around it.

2) The won't trust the translated work and prefer to do it themselves.

Offline azurehyaline

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: July 21, 2015, 10:46:02 AM »
To bacon and Schina.

Fan translations may break the copyright law, licensed or not, because it's a derivative work of something. As a matter of principle, it breaks copyright law even if the work isn't licensed in the US (there are a few agreements regarding that, TRIPS, WIPO, Berne...). You could try to challenge it as a fair use (in the U.S., other countries, such as the EU, don't have fair use provisions), but you'd have to challenge it, I mean, you don't get it by default.

And now is when things get murky: which country's jurisdiction apply? Remember that the US got Richard O'Dwyer extradited even if he was a UK citizen, was in the UK and his servers were in the UK. So, do Japanese laws apply or any other country's laws? Usually the laws of the country where the infringer is apply, but again, someone has challenged that already and could be tried again.

Now, a fan translation. It's an unauthorized work. You have to ask for permission to do it and a company could perfectly sue you for translating their work without their permission. Now, regarding if it's eligible for copyright or not, it is, but with caveats.

Translation copyrights belong to the translator, but they are linked to the copyrights of the original work, they aren't independent. That means that, for example, if another one wants to use the translator's work, he has to ask permission to the translator and to the original author. Still, remember that some translators have waived their copyrights.

Now, we get into murky waters with fan unauthorized translations. They do have copyrights, it seems, but of course, feel free to bring that to a court. Yeah, sue the original author or a company that has the license in your country for your infringing translation. You may get paid something for your translation, but for sure you will get bled away when they sue you for your translation too. That's, of course, if the judge doesn't decide to get you for "commercial scale infringement" because your site had a few ads or accepted donations. And then is when you get into really hot waters.

Of course, no company worth it's salt will use a fan translation "as is". They will usually do their own translation, and if yours is good enough, well, they will change enough things so that yours and theirs can't be linked in any way.

Though, to be honest, I've seen plenty of professional work with the same or worse quality as fan translations. And the worst part is that it was English to Spanish, not Japanese to English. But well, that's another issue...

Offline mrparkx2

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9961 on: July 21, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »
We should use the money to buy the LN by yen press to donate here instead so that this won't get dropped, and so the website can keep on running. At least that's what I am planning to do.

Offline bacon123

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9960 on: July 21, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
well not completely true
before Mahouka was licences fans translations wasn't breaking any copyright laws but now they are. but the material they translators translated before licencing so what belongs to them but they can't make money of it as it covered under copyright laws but Yen press can't use this material in the books because they translated material will belong to the translator and if they try and sell this material they will be breaking the translators copyrights laws as they own the translated material.

Offline Schina

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: July 21, 2015, 07:53:13 AM »
Yes there is and its called "Copyright Laws"

By law the material the fans translated belongs to the translator, so Yen press can't take this material and sell it on as it will be breaking copyright law's.
So Yen press have to completely translate them again and have proof that they aren't using other peoples material that doesn't belong to them.
It takes so long for them to translate them because they have to translate them into English and have it make sense to English people reading it as well they have to work with the author on the terminology used in the books and the correct translation of them.
Plus this isn't the only series Yen press is translating they're also working on other series as well

Except fan translations break copyright by default. So those translations being taken by the rightful owner of the source material is actually within their right.

Offline bacon123

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: July 21, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »
Nothing is stopping them from taking the fan translation and cleaning it up a bit more with supposedly more expert translators

Yes there is and its called "Copyright Laws"

By law the material the fans translated belongs to the translator, so Yen press can't take this material and sell it on as it will be breaking copyright law's.
So Yen press have to completely translate them again and have proof that they aren't using other peoples material that doesn't belong to them.
It takes so long for them to translate them because they have to translate them into English and have it make sense to English people reading it as well they have to work with the author on the terminology used in the books and the correct translation of them.
Plus this isn't the only series Yen press is translating they're also working on other series as well

Offline NovelLight

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: July 21, 2015, 07:28:01 AM »
Nothing is stopping them from taking the fan translation and cleaning it up a bit more with supposedly more expert translators

That's so true. If yp was smart they would take the existing translations and edit/revise them and imediatly start translating the newest volumes. If they did this, they would be able to pump out their "official" translations easily within this year and keep the fans satisfied by being up to date with the series in Japan (I doubt yp will figure this out though). Or we could petition them to start translating from the newest novel (going to be be vol 17 soon) downwards (very unlikely). As the other two options are very unlikely, fan translators are the best option. Although you may not want to wait a couple months to read the newest vol in English, it's better than waiting 5 years for yp to translate it.

Offline forbidden4bdn

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: July 21, 2015, 06:32:47 AM »

Offline Schina

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: July 21, 2015, 06:19:11 AM »
well, 6 months, that should be right actually... Don't forget, Mahouka of all novels have tons of science therms, besides they should be translated and have some sense when in sentence  :stabby:

Offline EikoTakeda

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: July 21, 2015, 05:53:34 AM »
While I'll definitely buy the yen press translations to support the author, I'll be depressed if they translate it super literally like some of you mentioned. I'm just wondering what they'll do with things like  'Onii-sama' Ill cringe so bad if it becomes 'dearest brother' or something equally awkward

yeah i will look at it first... if it's not on par with the fans translation, i will not buy it.

Reading dearest brother instead of onii sama sounds so weird..

Offline Silver001

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: July 21, 2015, 05:51:42 AM »
It depends on the translators, there's only one translator for the Index franchise and that's js06, he's a translating god. Mahouka translations were faster before but the others were busy IRL, with the license, the only active translator abandoned the project.

Offline bobbyness

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: July 21, 2015, 04:52:11 AM »
Fan trans usually translate a single volume in 3-4 month though, and probably 1-2 month if they're in high spirit

Index fan trans only need 1-2 month to translate the whole volume even though index have A LOT of science, magic and other worldly therms. And it only have a single translator at that work (All hail js06)

bro please! the volume where touma defended othinus from the world was completed in less than 2 weeks

Offline nicman07

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: July 21, 2015, 04:26:25 AM »
While I'll definitely buy the yen press translations to support the author, I'll be depressed if they translate it super literally like some of you mentioned. I'm just wondering what they'll do with things like  'Onii-sama' Ill cringe so bad if it becomes 'dearest brother' or something equally awkward

Offline Eins

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: July 21, 2015, 02:00:21 AM »
Now i have to wonder if it takes 3 months to write one does it really take twice as long to translate them ?

Fan trans usually translate a single volume in 3-4 month though, and probably 1-2 month if they're in high spirit

well, 6 months, that should be right actually... Don't forget, Mahouka of all novels have tons of science therms, besides they should be translated and have some sense when in sentence  :stabby:

Index fan trans only need 1-2 month to translate the whole volume even though index have A LOT of science, magic and other worldly therms. And it only have a single translator at that work (All hail js06)

Offline Furbl

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: July 21, 2015, 01:06:22 AM »

Now i have to wonder if it takes 3 months to write one does it really take twice as long to translate them ?

Offline TheLaG

• J-Member
    • View Profile
    • trololo
« Reply #9948 on: July 21, 2015, 12:42:17 AM »

Offline winterfall

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: July 20, 2015, 11:12:01 PM »

The yenpress translations are good and most of the time are much better than the fan translations. I don't have all yenpress light novels but I have a few and they are all pleasant to read. The Mahouka fan translations are really good too(compared to some other fan translations) so you might as well read the fan translations. I plan on still buying the official release to support the author, maybe if the release is popular they would expedite the second release.

Seriously pissed that the second volume is going to take 6 months.

same here. gonna buy the yenpress ver for the sake of supporting the author. hahaha

Offline winterfall

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: July 20, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »

susah gan kalo mo nunggu yenpress lagi pula katanya hasil translatetan yenpress jelek mending yg fansubs cari di postingan ane gan ada tuh ampe vol 13 english tapi

in english : kinda hard to get, even so yenpress tranlator kinda rubbish ( i hear it from someone) my recommendation just read from fansubs , you can search on my post ( idk what page ) but i uploaded from vol 1 - 13  ,, vol 14 ( when i have time, i'll uploaded )

sep, thx gan. hahaha. ok thanks guys for the reply. hm... they release the first volume in oct T_T, and 6 month later for the second volume, what took them so long to release it.

Offline NovelLight

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9945 on: July 20, 2015, 10:26:38 PM »
Fan translators are gods, <3 <3 <3 <3 as they know they content of mknr better than the official translators. How will some random translator be able to understand the massive amount of magic theory in this LN without being a fan.

Offline Eins

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: July 20, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »
Probably 'Oh my dear brother' or 'Oh my exalted brother' or at worst 'You'  :onionfacepalm:

Offline CptLasky

• Forum Donator
  • J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9943 on: July 20, 2015, 09:31:21 PM »
Some of book YP released have decent translation but some are also very bad like NGNL (what i heard since i can't get ANY goods especially LN from US in my country).
This is why i dont really like official translation. They tend to trans almost everything literally. Atmosphere, honorific, character personality & background, they wont care about it.
In my opinion, YP is a greed company that only care to get their hand with as many popular title as possible rather than improving their trans quality and released time...

Yeah, that's the problem when there is no competition. Hopefully another company pops up and begins officially licensing translations too.
And yeah they do translate the honorifics literally but I guess that is to reach out to a bigger audience. TBH I didn't even notice they did that until you mentioned it, I quickly looked through one and they did. Which makes me wonder how they are going to deal with all the "Oni-sama" in Mahouka.

Offline Eins

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: July 20, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »

The yenpress translations are good and most of the time are much better than the fan translations. I don't have all yenpress light novels but I have a few and they are all pleasant to read. The Mahouka fan translations are really good too(compared to some other fan translations) so you might as well read the fan translations. I plan on still buying the official release to support the author, maybe if the release is popular they would expedite the second release.

Some of book YP released have decent translation but some are also very bad like NGNL (what i heard since i can't get ANY goods especially LN from US in my country).
This is why i dont really like official translation. They tend to trans almost everything literally. Atmosphere, honorific, character personality & background, they wont care about it.
In my opinion, YP is a greed company that only care to get their hand with as many popular title as possible rather than improving their trans quality and released time...

Offline CptLasky

• Forum Donator
  • J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9941 on: July 20, 2015, 06:59:33 PM »

susah gan kalo mo nunggu yenpress lagi pula katanya hasil translatetan yenpress jelek mending yg fansubs cari di postingan ane gan ada tuh ampe vol 13 english tapi

in english : kinda hard to get, even so yenpress tranlator kinda rubbish ( i hear it from someone) my recommendation just read from fansubs , you can search on my post ( idk what page ) but i uploaded from vol 1 - 13  ,, vol 14 ( when i have time, i'll uploaded )

Offline darren42

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9940 on: July 20, 2015, 06:19:18 PM »
Yeah if they keep to that wait between volumes for the rest it will take many years for them to get to even volume 14.

Here are the amazon listings for the first two volumes: