Funds $31 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

29%

Author Topic: JCafe 2.0 - Suggestions to Improve  (Read 44412 times)

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
  • Renommée: 5181
    • View Profile
Re: JCafe 2.0 - Suggestions to Improve
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »
'All posts' is the better option. But bear in mind you will encounter that problem you've explained if even one of the user's posts have already been deleted, because deleted posts cannot be deleted again. You can always restore any deleted posts momentarily, to enable deletion of all posts, if there are a lot of them.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 82
  • its hard work being lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2016, 07:59:28 PM »
Just need a lil elbow grease is all.  I was having similar issues yesterday as well

Offline Jump3R

• Shiroyasha|燃えてきたぜ!!|FanBoy/FB|OVER NINE THOUSA~ND posts!|Totally Off The Wall And Crazy (Totwac)|Dragon of the 9 Threads of Spam|Itsumo|Gyarakushia|Jyan|Wiseass| Shogun Obvious|Sweater|Sir Douchebag
  • Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • Renommée: 153
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2016, 06:16:10 AM »
I tried all of that and there is still sometimes an issue with deleting posts and topic. Like, if I go to the bot's profile and want to delete all posts and topics it sometimes tells me I can't delete just any posts... like I don't have the authorization to do so. It may be cuz I only govern some and not all sections, but shouldn't it be somehow unrestricted for fully banned users?
Or am I just too stupid to see a workaround?

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2016, 06:06:12 AM »
with recent events of multiple spam bots appearing all over the cafe
They've always been appearing, it's just now that I'm a lot less active than I used to be, you and the other mods are being made more aware of them and having to take care of them  :maikka:

Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

There are a lot of options, most of which are only slightly tedious at their worst; you just have to get creative mate.

Offline Jump3R

• Shiroyasha|燃えてきたぜ!!|FanBoy/FB|OVER NINE THOUSA~ND posts!|Totally Off The Wall And Crazy (Totwac)|Dragon of the 9 Threads of Spam|Itsumo|Gyarakushia|Jyan|Wiseass| Shogun Obvious|Sweater|Sir Douchebag
  • Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • Renommée: 153
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2016, 04:42:55 AM »
Hi guys, with recent events of multiple spam bots appearing all over the cafe I think we should make some improvements on how to deal with them.
Not everyone can delete all their posts or topics, so perhaps until a person who can delete them is active those who recognized bots could, except for banning them, perhaps move their topics to some special thread? Or somehow mark them so that it would be easier to delete the posts/topics? Cuz if there are a few of them in a short time one may easily miss it when they make tens of spam topics...

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2016, 02:10:31 PM »
We need the shoutbox back. Silv, Do you have any idea how much we went through trying to get to you? I was worried for safety and stuff cuz i didnt have your email and we didnt know u went on vacay.
last time this happened we could still access the shoutbox since it runs independent of the site and communicate there.
and welcome back buddy.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2015, 02:52:03 AM »
I was going to mention that as a viable option. And it is kind of necessary, the topics are very long.
The topics in question are novel topics. They've transformed into huge discussion topics.

I'll get onto that very soon. I'll upload all the volumes up to date, close the current thread and send it to the Board Archive, and then I'll ask members to list any important posts in the old thread, so that I can link them in the new one.

Got busy scanning stuff. Hopefully soon....

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 396
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2015, 01:15:43 AM »
Why don't you guys create a new discussion topic, link the discussion topic in the winny club topic and rule all discussions to be posted there?

I'd also recommend closing very long topics and to replace them with a new clean topic containing all links in the winny club. It would make finding links easier for new folks.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »
I'm sure that a system could be worked out, regular members could post in a separate thread, linking posts that should be stickied. But I still think it would be a lot of almost unnecessary work, that would only benefit a small group of the forum.

I'm not totally against the idea, I'm really not, and if it is something that infy and silv would support, then I'd help applying it to the threads that need it. But nonetheless, I still don't think it would make much of a difference. You said it yourself, hardly anyone checks the first post in a thread. So what's to stop them if separate posts were to be stickied?

Offline kairn

• French person passing by
  • J-Starter
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2015, 08:12:49 AM »
Yeah I thought about this too, and it's right that you can't control all the thread like that, to find the right post to make sticky but if the person pm you maybe it's possible.
Or maybe you can add a counter to every post and the people reading the thread vote for the sticky post. Like that when a post regrouping different link is made, the people demand the sticky post and after that the writer of the sticky post has just to update it.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2015, 05:46:53 AM »
That thread is a total mess. It gets 10 posts a day, (that's just a safe estimate). I can appreciate the members' enthusiasm and all that, but on multiple occasions, I've had to break up pointless conflicts that have taken up entire pages almost.
It does attract a lot of new members though. A lot of intro posts are just 'came here for Mahouka such and such.'

It would definitely benefit the thread, and the few threads that are similar, but who would go through the thread and sticky separate posts? If a feature like the one you recommended were to be implemented, it would be something that only mods and up could contribute to. And though I never shy away from actual mod work, it does seem as if it would be quite the colossal undertaking.

Offline kairn

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2015, 05:09:50 AM »
Well, I follow Mahouka, there is already 195 pages, if the posts of mindless leechers were reduced from the beginning maybe there would be only 100 pages, I don't know...
And if this type of post are reduced, I think the database of the forum would like it. The followers of the threads would undoubtedly love it. So I think the forum in it's globality would benefit of it but I don't really know since I am on this forum principally for Mahouka.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2015, 04:08:28 AM »
I'm guessing that this is all in relation to Novel threads like Mahouka..., Moonlight Sculptor, etc.?
They're pretty notorious at jcafe for attracting mindless leechers anyway. That section of jcafe is what it is.

So although I think this is a great feature to consider, it's mostly unnecessary for most of the forum.

Offline kairn

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2015, 03:46:58 AM »
It would be interesting if a feature like that could be implemented. Try pitching the idea directly to the admins.
Another alternative is to link certain useful posts in a topic, in the very first post.

Well, personnaly I don't read the first post of my favorite thread very often (who said never ?) after I already read it once, and certain people don't even read the last page before posting their demand of update...

I will send a message to an admin just to be sure.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2015, 03:37:39 AM »
It would be interesting if a feature like that could be implemented. Try pitching the idea directly to the admins.
Another alternative is to link certain useful posts in a topic, in the very first post.

Offline kairn

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2015, 03:26:52 AM »
Hello,

Is there a way to make a certain post always appearing on the top of all the pages of a thread ?
I found this post : http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=278681.0

It's just tiring to always see the same questions when you follow diligently a topic and I think it would be a real improvement.

Thanks.

PS : This question is maybe a recurant question, i haven't read the thread... that would be ironic... hahaha

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »
you sir deserve a cookie

Offline Andrew85

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
A user would therefore need a minimum of 1 Renommee, 2 Posts, and be registered for at least 3 days.

Another example would be when someone creates a mirror for an already existing upload and restricts the mirror more than the original upload which has the default restriction. Therefore when the first link dies you could resort to the second, more restricted one. And if you can't access it... well, it might encourage people to not be just simple leechers ^^

People will always be the same, so higher post requirements would more likely increase spamming. Renommee restriction can be used for malicious purpose. For example some user don't like another and thus can limit latter's ability to download through bad renommee. More work for mods who will be forced to resolve this issues too. Besides receiving renommee isn't definite process. In both time and the amount of points. Sure, there is certain probabilities for some or another post, but uncertainty of when and how much you'd have can lead to just repelling potential users. For the note, if such restriction was in place when I came here, I'd just leave for another, more convenient place.

Besides links have tendency to die with time. So the whole idea about different restricting levels for mirror links will work only if more restricted links has much more capacity to stay alive after long periods without usage. That's there even a simple leechers are of help.:) They keep links alive by using them, after all.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
Won't.

Offline DarkDooM

• Godfather of jCafe
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 2486
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2013, 06:18:48 AM »
Is that so? In the past I had seen some other forums change the forum software and everything went smooth so I didn't think it would be that hard to keep all user stats

Did a quick google search

Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

I am not familiar with these converters but it seems like they should work?

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2013, 03:53:39 AM »
The migration would require compatibility. So far there is no easy way to migrate the forum without you all losing your points or posts and features.

Offline DarkDooM

• Godfather of jCafe
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
^^, that requires a lot of modification. There are forums software that support that kind of feature, but smf does not :(

How about changing the forum software? Would bring some new wind into this along with nice new features :runaway:

How long has the forum been running on smf anyway? Since the beginning?

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »
damn. that would be cool. and would increase activity due to more requirements for rarer    items.
still waiting on a "manga of the week"

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »
^^, that requires a lot of modification. There are forums software that support that kind of feature, but smf does not :(

Offline DarkDooM

• Godfather of jCafe
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »
Hmm, I thought I had already suggested the following but I guess not. Probably only ever thought about it in my head :wahaha:

How about a way to customize the restriction to view spoilers?
When someone uploads, for example, rare things, volumes, jcafe exclusive stuff and the like, some people (or maybe it's just me ^^) would perhaps like to be able to restrict it a bit more than just needing an account with 1 post.

It would preferably look like the following:
Code: [Select]
[spoiler ren=1 post=2 reg=3]Blah blah blah[/spoiler]A user would therefore need a minimum of 1 Renommee, 2 Posts, and be registered for at least 3 days.

Another example would be when someone creates a mirror for an already existing upload and restricts the mirror more than the original upload which has the default restriction. Therefore when the first link dies you could resort to the second, more restricted one. And if you can't access it... well, it might encourage people to not be just simple leechers ^^

A convenient option imo.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
Ah... I support that notion as well

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2013, 04:53:13 PM »
I noticed this since a while already. This board has the function "Show the last posts of this person." but not "Show the last topics of this person."

For me it'd be a great help if I could see all the topics I have created so if it is possible to implement this function, please do.
silverado, I think this is a very good idea. As lately I've been having a bit of trouble when I want to post a new chapter to a topic I've created, but 1. I cant remember the manga's name, and 2. it is too obscure to appear on a google search if I do know it's name.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
we have a music board... but threads for discussing music are... few

Offline Nagashiwa

• otaku