Funds $13 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

12%

Author Topic: JCafe 2.0 - Suggestions to Improve  (Read 67676 times)

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 396
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
Re: JCafe 2.0 - Suggestions to Improve
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 04:36:42 AM »
I'm open to suggestions.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 515
  • And you know what? We kind of liked it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 04:30:41 AM »
It's also worth noting, Silv, that some of the mods on other sections are inactive, if JoCurryrice would still like a posting.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2012, 04:07:16 AM »
Well it was a smallish board and I thought nobody was going to take over that board. Now that he has become a mod in a giant 5 digit post forum, I will have to rethink the assignment.

Rethink or give a comod.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2012, 04:04:50 AM »
Well it was a smallish board and I thought nobody was going to take over that board. Now that he has become a mod in a giant 5 digit post forum, I will have to rethink the assignment.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 03:56:18 AM »
Yeah, I was made a mod. Actually, I was supposed to be a mod for a small board (Food, Health and Relaxation), but it seems to have fused with nachos... I would totally understand that you don't want me to be a mod for that board (or that you don't want me to be a mod).

Oh, hey, no, not at all.   :XD:  I was just shocked to see your name up there on the new section!

You're active, you're everywhere, so far, so good, I say. =D  Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come across as a "I don't want blah blah to be a mod."  It was more me expressing shock that Silv would vet you so easily (he tends to move somewhat slower on the modding thing).

Offline JoCurryrice

• J-Master
  • Renommée: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 03:53:54 AM »
Yeah, I was made a mod. Actually, I was supposed to be a mod for a small board (Food, Health and Relaxation), but it seems to have fused with nachos... I would totally understand that you don't want me to be a mod for that board (or that you don't want me to be a mod).

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 03:41:35 AM »
Did you just make a newbie a mod?   :XD:

I am not surprised if the other threads die because everyone is on the Forum Community section. Like DS said, it's Off-topic with post count. It is very active which is good but the problem is that one thread can be chaotic and new people will find it difficult to enter whatsoever is going on. May I suggest limiting the posts on those threads? It will enable people to move on.

We could do something like this.  Like, after an intro gets so many pages or something.  Also, encourage people to start new threads in Nachos for whatever they'd like to talk about and keep the lines moving.

Is there post count in Nachos?  Or is it the new Off-Topic?

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 03:11:09 AM »
Yeah, and we need a mod too!  :wahaha:

Offline honouji

• J-Highlander
  • Renommée: 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 03:10:19 AM »
Checked it out and even posted on it. However now that I think about it, what does it offer differently from the offtopic section? Aside from the post count? May I suggest a more detailed description?

:huh:

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 02:33:47 AM »

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 02:27:36 AM »
Hm, limiting the posts in introduction post will surely motivate the users to continue their discussions somewhere else. I will leave that decision up to dragonspell, who made the newbie introduction rules. But I guess we could create a general discussion forum with post count, where people can create funny, personal, offtopic posts.

I just had a splendid idea for a forum name...

Offline honouji

• J-Highlander
  • Renommée: 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 01:45:47 AM »
I would love to make new posts to get the discussion flowing around here but getting " :p!ssed: " (sorry I can't think of a better word for discussion-killer responses) is just not motivating. I can see why the the "Like" button on facebook is invented. There is good spam and bad spam but some people just don't get it. I'm one of those who left jCafe because there's no one to talk to.

If you want to increase discussions maybe incorporating the anime and manga thread with Winny will promote one. I mean when I want to leech, I just go on that specific place and no other place else.

I am not surprised if the other threads die because everyone is on the Forum Community section. Like DS said, it's Off-topic with post count. It is very active which is good but the problem is that one thread can be chaotic and new people will find it difficult to enter whatsoever is going on. May I suggest limiting the posts on those threads? It will enable people to move on.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »
Everyone complains about the clock but I STILL have to delete spambots every week.  And we still have over 43 new registrations a day, definitely up from last year, so I really don't think that it's all that bad.

Learning how to tell time is good for you!

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 82
  • its hard work being lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »
Fronnt page attractions. Manga of the week. Discussion of the day. We could also do reviews... we should in fact. Increase the entertainment value of the site... I'm still working on that manga... just don't have time...

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
Since I couldn't find any general "feedback" threads, I'll just bite the bullet and post here.

I have to say that the registration process was one of the most frustrating in ages. Might be that I missed the cues on the page, but in case I didn't... would be nice if you'd mention the password length limitation and the correct time format for the "clock" verification. For the longest of time I was wondering if I'd simply become demented as it kept failing on me (whenever the captcha wouldn't).

Of course, if it is totally intentional barrier to make ensure that those who do register are committed and capable individuals... then it sure is doing it's job :)

That might be a welcome side-effect, but I assure you the intention is to prevent spam bots of laying any foothold here, which it does so very successfully. If you get frustrated by registering here just once, imagine the frustration of a human spammer trying to register here everyday or every week and who sees his account and all his posts being deleted after hours, or often minutes after posting.

As for the other suggestions, very good points. One of the features like a better mobile experience is also in consideration. Am happy to read more of your feedback!

Offline raulrain

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »
I´m a new member and my experience with the clock option was a good one, it definitely adds substance to the registraction process

Offline Haba

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »
Since I couldn't find any general "feedback" threads, I'll just bite the bullet and post here.

I have to say that the registration process was one of the most frustrating in ages. Might be that I missed the cues on the page, but in case I didn't... would be nice if you'd mention the password length limitation and the correct time format for the "clock" verification. For the longest of time I was wondering if I'd simply become demented as it kept failing on me (whenever the captcha wouldn't).

Of course, if it is totally intentional barrier to make ensure that those who do register are committed and capable individuals... then it sure is doing it's job :)

Offline byakushiki

• J-Robo Police
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Earth
  • Renommée: 76
  • Byakushiki is my variation on Hyakushiki.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
I get the forbidden 403 error.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
Actually its still there. I'm using it

Offline byakushiki

• J-Robo Police
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »
I was sad when the mobile jCafe disappeared. My crappy phone can no longer go on jCafe.

Offline iidonno

• bumface/gender: pancake
  • AS-Team
  • J-Master
  • Renommée: 71
    • View Profile
    • anime-sensei
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
aaaaah a smartphone layout mostdefinately!
or an app ;3

~~ wow do i like attract bots? anyway i can't ban them so i will leave it there for you to, i thought i was a GM o.o guess not :3

Offline ï ® têh ©få©ê

• Jcafes mascot seagull
  • jLogician
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 78
  • RAWR!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Mydailymanga
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
2.0?
And why just 7?
Eh too much txt eyes hurt...

But um... Ed isnt to active anymore but I likes to play around in cosa nostra when ever possible. umm... I started computer and technology so it be nice to still see that around :p mmm....ummmm...Sharing is caring?

Offline marat75

• Of Wolf and Man
  • J-Titan
  • I hunt, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 06:22:09 AM »
I don't really have much to propose, but I thought that making an app or optimizing the site for smartphones might be a good idea. I mean I sure can post my messages from a phone, but it's not very easy.

Offline iidonno

• bumface/gender: pancake
  • AS-Team
  • J-Master
    • View Profile
    • anime-sensei
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
ah this is beautiful, i love these walls of text that is

mm truth be told, yeep as was said if we wanted tumblr we would be at tumblr but tumblr's layout doesn't really allow for much conversation anyway (at least it's not appealing for conversation to me)

nesfe brings up a good point though, discussions of downloads is beautiful however i find that as a hindrance if the OTP posts more information on a different page due to so much response and so I'm forced to check through

or they open another thread in order to make sure it gets its share of downloads and such however then the board gets cluttered
^ to solve this have an original thread with the downloads with a sublink of (or some kind of popout/scrollout) area for discussion and the top part reserved for releases  but that would kill most discussion so oh dear... a setting for discussion viewing by default then ? uuuuuhuhuhuhuhu

Series boards are okay when a parent board gets flooded  but preset series boards is a bad idea imo
you make them as you need them ;\  that is ofcourse when other content becomes unaccessible due to the popularity of the threads pertaining to a series

honestly opening 324803217327 more threads gets us nowhere being that some people will fall off eventually  ---the drivers of the thread disappears or just joins another discussion leaving behind a shell of a thread  cluttering the interface more and more

increasing post count of the leechers would be somewhat effective however would just cause more fall off i believe of potential content posters

if i were to keep 7 that would cause the forums to stay alive:
1. Tutorials
2. Downloads
3. Offtopic
~4. Ontopic

1. people like learning things sometimes, being that this is a distro site(is it not?) tutorials on what they like/want would be awesome and would peel some of the downloaders off of their lecherous sprees- if not free stuff people like free information people like making things :3
^ what they like / want: tutorials on subbing encoding scanlating  finding raws and all that nonsense
2. self explanitory- distro site huehuehuehue
3. would be a combo of everything not related to anime/manga instead of Headlines, movies/docs*that aren't downloads*  MC* all of RL  activity and playground (almost -disclude the tuts)||
4. well ...yeah : D

...and done : D there would be some serious splintering and work into reworking the forum for this but really... we know what we come for  be it information, downloads or to talk/anime talk

the perfect forum for an iidonno would be a complicated one though oh dear

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 01:46:47 AM »
Still gathering my thoughts so lets start with a short one. Reorganizing the series threads. A simple and effective idea is a two-threaded series. One thread dedicated to linking the manga and the other for discussion. The link thread would have a short summary/description and the dl links. ONLY the DL links. That preventts links from being lost in discussion and allows easy orcanization. The discussion thread would have more in depth analysis of the manga to start it off, like a review of sorts and would cater for character discussion,  chapter discussion and the like. An uploader would post his/her link in the link thread and then announce its availability in the discussion thread.
segregation and searching of series should use a tag system, tag genres, artists and other data which can be filtered and searched to find a specific series.
My thumbhas gone numb so ill come back when I get on a computer. 

Replied: March 18, 2012, 06:47:12 AM
all right im back.
so in terms of visuals theres a lot of tweaks that could be made. i like the simplistic microsoft approach for their homescreen. glanceable information. see what you need to right when you start. we need things right up front to catch user attention. "manga of the week" "topic of the day" "whats hot" things like that. when you sign in see your buddys posts as soon as you sign in so you can reply. a cool effect would be to make posts appear to be in speech bubbles kinda like text messages on the latest mobile platforms. that would be cool.
jcafe based projects are a good idea. do some translations, make a manga(im still working on that, just dont have the time...)

Offline Nadeshiko

• J-Puppy + J-Maid + J-Sadist + Otome Gamer
  • Gold Dragon
  • Renommée: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 02:37:05 AM »
I'd like to see the mafia games, as Red said, go monthly at least, but that's on Cosa Nostra.  In the other forums, maybe some kind of routine as well?  Gamer news, anime polls, whatever.  Too bad Kaos has left.  He lived for that kind of stuff.
I remember there was something on an anime site where they played a game called: Guess That Anime...or something.

Jcafe banners on scanlators sites (at least those who use raws from here, I don't think there'll be much difficulties), topics on mangaupdates, mangahelpers, other more or less popular information manga (anime, VN/LN etc) sites. Something like that.
I was thinking of something like that, but I wasn't sure how to explain it.

Offline byakushiki

• J-Robo Police
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 02:22:07 AM »
Leechers will be redirected to post in the series. That could be a bad thing for the people who are discussing their series.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 01:41:33 AM »
I somewhat agree with combining Off-topic and the Forum Community, seeing as how they both tend to operate as a gathering place where people talk about whatever.  It's hard to keep an introduction on topic besides "hello!"  However, if we did so, post count couldn't be on for the forum, so no more one post count leechers getting their post count in the intro thread.  I could go either way on that.

Offline byakushiki

• J-Robo Police
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 01:20:26 AM »
Solving the issue of spam accounts and leech accounts is really tough unless we had extremely dedicated Mods.

Top Forums:
1) Winny
2) Forum Community + Off Topic: The conversations in the Forum Community tend to go towards the Off Topic direction after introductions like DS said earlier.
3) Other Downloads
4) Series / Manga / Movies Discussions
5) News / Headlines / Politics / Technology
6) Hobbies (Show & Tell kind of forum)
7) Yaoi if it really needs it's own forum

Offline Andrew85

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
as in jcafe send advertisements on like..manga websites? or like have jcafe as a raw-providing source for manga? im a little confused...
Jcafe banners on scanlators sites (at least those who use raws from here, I don't think there'll be much difficulties), topics on mangaupdates, mangahelpers, other more or less popular information manga (anime, VN/LN etc) sites. Something like that.

But I said "advertisement" with "jcafe projects" in mind. What jcafe has that most of other forums hasn't? Raws? Well, maybe (although It's not exclusively jcafe's turf). But It's "came, downloaded, left" for many people. And excessive restriction measures (icreased postcount, for example) will not help attract new members.

That's why I think that jcafe, in addition to filesharing, need some type of "group production activity". Something which help to distinguish this site among others and help to properly get it into scanlators (fansubers, etc) databases. And I believe It has to be continuous process, not the one-time action.
P.S. Re-read my post... Looks like I'm delivering a speech for committee of directors of "Jcafe24 Co., Ltd" :hot: