Funds $5 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

6%

Author Topic: JCafe 2.0 - Suggestions to Improve  (Read 42332 times)

Offline byakushiki

• J-Robo Police
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Earth
  • Renommée: 76
  • Byakushiki is my variation on Hyakushiki.
    • View Profile
Re: JCafe 2.0 - Suggestions to Improve
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »
Back to normal now.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 82
  • its hard work being lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:46 AM »
why is there spam in this thread? where're the mods

Offline y3kcjd5

• J-Hardcore
  • Renommée: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
Is there some way to receive reported post notifications as PMs? I've found that sometimes my e-mail will collect dust for a while and when I finally go back to check it it's peppered with notifications. I would personally find it easier to notice if I could get that little shower of brass envelopes (maybe make a special icon for reports?) when someone reports something.

On an unrelated note I'm also toying with the idea of rewriting/reorganizing the rules to make them a bit more reader/newbie friendly and coming up with explicit rules for some of the things we moderators have to deal with but don't have something in the rulebook to point to (e.g. incessant nagging about the next chapter/volume).

Offline Renegade334

• ** RETIRING **
  • Silver Dragon
  • Renommée: 6190
  • Do NOT ask me how to see DL links. READ THE RULES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »
Well, I've really dithered on this topic, but I've finally extended a warning to Fenrir_test (after several warning posts in Winny Club, which I'm not sure he read after). Yeah, big time slowpoke here -- been busy and very distracted lately due to private projects (still banging my head on a Java project).

Fenrir_test was slowly starting to diversify his messages and actually discuss series plot developments/ask questions, so I tried to give him one last chance - but he once again fell back into his bad habits - hence the warning. Anyway, he says he won't post those messages again, so we'll have to see whether that promise holds out. Regardless, he's on the watch list now. He knows.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »
i support this. :yay:

Offline Spiritovod

• >:3
  • J-Legend
  • Renommée: 1582
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »
Well, it seems that the new rule doesn't actually that needed after all. Besides, Renegade is not sure if it will be right to implement such a rule, considering his previous experience with more strict rules on another site - and his arguments were more than convincing for me. The only person who is really irritating me at the moment is Fenrir_test, and I demand that someone will take care of him in one way or another, as he had already "spammed" Winny Club with 750+ useless posts within a few months. 

On another note, what do you think about an IRC channel for jCafe? With all current developments in copyrights related area it sounds like a good way to discuss/operate stuff (primarily to discuss) there. It will be also useful in case of the site's maintenance or downtime due to attacks/other problems, so it will be possible to inform people about the matter, etc.
I've registered 2 channels for now: [email protected] and [email protected]  - right now #jcafe24 is considered as "official channel", but it easily can be changed in any moment. I think it's possible to integrate IRCHighway's webchat or Mibbit service into the site for those who don't like standalone software or unfamiliar with the IRC itself.
Any questions and suggestions are welcomed.       

Update: If jCafe mods wants to be an operator on the channel (or admin in case of silverado), PM me a random word here and the same word there - it's for correct person identification. And your nick should be registered on the network first (with the help of the nickserv service).   

Offline AlexMustDie

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2012, 06:23:03 AM »
A little suggestion from a newbie,
  • First of all maybe the staff can consider upgrading the smf version to version 2.x.x since newer version mean less bugs and better mods support.
  • Secondly maybe the staff can put the forum into maintenance mode when trying new mods or when updating the themes, its been a long time since I last touch smf but im sure that smf have a maintenance mode.
  • Thirdly, it seems that you guys have too many floating member (registered member that rarely post), maybe you can attract those member into active members by arranging some sort of event on each suitable board, such as a writing short story/fan fic event on the writing board, drawing avatar/banner/signature/fan art event on the drawing board, a debate event  etc, the winner can get some sort of custom title or a +karma addition, while +karma don’t have much use at smf 1.x.x (except if you install a shop mods where you can buy stuff using +karma) you get a karma bar at smf 2.x.x that looks kinda cool, you also can add a portal mods to post the contest results upfront.
  • Fourth, got to admit that a lot of people came for the warez especially manga, while the other boards is dying, maybe you guys can assign some active mod for those dying boards and start a discussion thread in each board also a request thread would be nice.

sorry if I write too much, just want to share a little of what i thought regarding the forum improvement.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 395
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2012, 02:06:04 AM »
Ok, cool down time works.

Unit of warning levels are in DAYS.

I will look into the Novel Shoppu Issue.

Default cool down should be 1 or 4 days per level. I forgot which of them ^^.

Offline y3kcjd5

• J-Hardcore
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »
It seems to me the issue here is that on the one hand some topics are getting spammed with thank you notes, while on the other some topics stay alive thanks to those notes. I also think that the one-note-a-month idea would be somewhat hard to implement. To solve all this, I think point 4.3 of the new rule should be modified. Below is my interpretation of the draft Renegade334 provided (some parts reworded for clarity):
Quote (selected)
4. In order to cut down on on spam-like posts in Winny Club, simple posts will be restricted as of [insert date here]. Examples of simple posts include: "thank you", "ren+", "thanks for the up, downloading", "awesome", "I'll read it now", etc. As a general rule, those posts that are no more than one (complete) sentence long and contain no new information relevant to the topic will be considered simple posts. If you wish to express your gratitude for a post or upload, please use the Renommée link labeled "Thank You!" that can be found to the left of each post under the poster's name and activity meter. If your post contains discussion about the topic series, a technical question, a reupload request (for dead links only), or any other useful information relevant to the topic, it will not be considered a simple post.
4.1 As of [insert date here], simple posts will be deleted upon discovery by moderators, and a warning may be issued. Persistence in posting such messages will result in a mute or a ban.
4.2 In the interest of keeping older and less discussed topics alive, an exception to the previous will be made if the most recent post in a topic is at least 1 month old at the time a simple post is posted to that topic.

Unrelated: What's the unit of time used in the warning menu? What happens if it's set to 0?

Offline Spiritovod

• J-Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »
I agree, you are hereby authorized to add a new rule that forbids the posting of "Thank You" messages. Instead gratitude can be expressed with a Renommee Point.

Thanks. I'll discuss it with Renegade to formulate the new rule then.

Update: It seems that the newly registered users can post in Novel Shoppu board (example), while they shouldn't be able to do it.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2012, 06:06:05 AM »
I agree, you are hereby authorized to add a new rule that forbids the posting of "Thank You" messages. Instead gratitude can be expressed with a Renommee Point.

Offline Spiritovod

• J-Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2012, 02:43:45 AM »
We definitely need a new rule for the Winny Club concerning simplified "thanks" posts.
For example:
1.1. If you want to simply thanks user for the upload, use renommee system.
1.2. One simple "thanks" post every 3 days is fine.
1.3. If you want to add more "thanks" posts within those 3 days, you should add something "sensible" to your post - for example, concerning discussion of the manga/latest chapter - otherwise you'll be warned.
1.4 If you'll persist and will ignore moderators warnings, you may found yourself banned.

Previously, when I was mod there, I was sending something like that to those people:
"Due to our new policy aimed for reduction of the similar useless "thanks" posts, I would like to ask you not to post those kind of messages (for example, simple "thanks for xxx" or "ren+" or similar) in every other topic - or you will be warned.
Thanks for your understanding."

If it didn't work, I was starting to delete their posts until they got realized that they should stop posting their useless stuff - and thus amount of those posts were significantly reduced. But now we're facing those people again, for example, Fenrir_test, who is posting his senseless stuff in every other topic and ignoring Renegade's warnings (you can ask Renegade's opinion about all that as well) - and we must do something with that.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2012, 05:17:04 AM »
Thanks!  :D

How far along are you with a JCafe manga?

:p!ssed: not very...

Offline sailabc1

• Once a pervert, always a pervert~
  • J-Addict
  • Renommée: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »
Say, is it possible to implement nested spoilers? That is more spoilered text within a spoiler? Helps in making certain funny posts at times (or when emphasizing an unsee/NSFW warning before the user finally opens such an image).

Offline sylvette

• J-Master
  • Renommée: 14
  • too much to do, not enough energy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »
Thanks!  :D

How far along are you with a JCafe manga?

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2012, 08:14:57 AM »
welcome back  :XD:

Offline sylvette

• J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2012, 07:42:20 AM »
 :blush:  Hey, Minti!  I've missed you too...

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2012, 07:32:45 AM »
 :XD: momo-chan :lovely: i missded you

Offline sylvette

• J-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2012, 07:06:30 AM »
I haven't been around too much lately.  I moved and I am now on dial up which has been getting in the way (among other things).
So.... I'm going against the flow and saying that too much graphics would not help.  Hey, I'm on dial up.  If you get too advanced, I can't visit at all until I get a faster connection.  I agree that the header is rather large too.

Actually, one of the draws to JCafe to me was the old BBS style.  [Bulletin Board System - back before internet was so common, we had to dial up on a particular number with limited lines open.  Very text based.  Anon too unless you wanted to tell about yourself.  Yeah, back in the days when a 14.4 was FAST!] Unless you have a low tech access and high tech access with all the bells and whistles but then, you'd need the two to be able to mesh so they two sets of people can talk to each other.  Whatever, I'm just a little old woman.  I know the next generation is not likely text based fans.  Are you wanting to have users put up a homepage with music and graphics, and then give them the ability to video chat?  JCafe wouldn't be JCafe anymore.

Anyhow...
Other boards I have visited in the past were active with contests/competitions between users...  Graphics, drawing, even singing.  Is that something you would want to do?  You would need mods for the games, contest runners.

I suppose those are just some thoughts I'll add to the pile.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2012, 10:40:13 AM »
ooh. lemme see. i can do art

Offline 3Rton

• The Suzaku
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 27
  • Mumyo Jinpuu Ryuu no Kensei
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
J-cafe based manga!? I WROTE A STORY BASED ON J-CAFE RECENTLY. I wanted to make manga but my drawings not good enough..

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »
Im gonna make a jcafe based mange

Offline D3DIZ

• Former J-Freemium Downloader :P
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 49
  • (Still) Looking for that great escape.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
What can I say? I've had practice at burning bridges and building up that bad blood :XD: I'm not proud :shinyteeth:.....

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
advertising in other forums. good plan :wahaha:

Offline D3DIZ

• Former J-Freemium Downloader :P
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 49
  • (Still) Looking for that great escape.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2012, 09:14:17 AM »
I don't know if this has been said yet, since I haven't looked through the suggestions, but somehow link raw topics from Winny to their Anime/Manga Discussion topic counter parts. A lot of people say what's on their mind concerning raws and scans in Winny when they should be doing it in Discussion. I myself am guilty of this from time to time :sob: Batoto and especially Mangafox have links from each topic to a forum discussion. If we're to change up esthetics I think we should keep those templates in mind. Besides that I have nothing else to really say atm.

EDIT:

Enable guest posting in some threads for a certain period of time in a given day. Each IP that enters the server is tracked but for those whom are guests have a time limit and a posting limit per day. If a guess abuses this feature then ban the IP or disable the feature. Give people a taste of what it's like to be apart of this amazing forum basically.

Question. How many of us post on other forums? I sometimes see that active users on other forums have signatures in all their posts that link to another website. If possible can we advertise that way?

We can hold competitions for active guests. I think that's a good way of promoting the forum and gaining loyalty amongst users. The games section can be used by moderators create game topics for guest and winners obviously get a reward or prize.

Another question. Hows incoming traffic? Are we getting a lot of guest and the majority just passing through or are we seeing very few with the same result?

I'll bounce more ideas off you guys as they come.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »
We need an in house translation team

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »
Yeah.

Should be fixed!

Offline y3kcjd5

• J-Hardcore
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
Multi-level? I'm only aware of the division between those with at least 1 valid post and those without ('guests'). Is there more?

Is there any way to turn that gadget off? If the link url matches the link text the app covers up the link entirely and it can't be clicked on.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »
It is a multi level permission system for the links which requires this tag. Just hiding links from guests alone wouldnt cut it.

It seems like divshare links are embedded. You can try upload a song om divshare and play it directly in the forum.

Offline y3kcjd5

• J-Hardcore
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
Having been given mod powers in the download sections, I've been exposed (repeatedly) to the spoiler tags for links issue. It then occurred to me that it would be a lot simpler to give url tags the same properties as spoiler tags (invisible to guests) and make exceptions for informational sites like mangaupdates based on the url. That way users wouldn't have to bother remembering what to hide and what not to hide, and mods wouldn't have to scour the boards for leaks all the time. Is there some reason we don't/can't do this?

Also, I've noticed some weird flash app popping up next to or in place of divshare links. All it ever seems to do is show a little spinning loading circle. What is it? Is there a way to make it go away?

Offline 3Rton

• The Suzaku
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2012, 07:14:39 AM »
Well... it almost never maxes (the donation thingy) so I suppose it's piling up  :XD:

Offline R3dknight

• V
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 142
  • YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »
hmm.
donations.
And I see you need 560 USD?

WTF, did the cost of running a website suddenly run amok?

Offline Andrew85

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »
 Actually, I meant it as a replacement for first captcha, not for clock. Well, it was just a suggestion anyway.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »
We don't have problems with bots. I haven't seen a bot since 2010. The real problem are humans! Especially cheap Indian workers who get paid a dollar an hour to register on 30 different boards manually and who once registered, use software to automatically post spam on the site. The clock is VERY effective against this kind of spam! Imagine the frustration of 15 failed verification attempts and the surprise of getting banned and all topics deleted after the first 10 minutes!

Offline Andrew85

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2012, 04:09:25 AM »
 I'm not sure, but maybe It can help with registration rate: there was captcha's analog developed (presumably as good in filtering bots but less annoying). It's called PlayThru.

Offline Celestin

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
Make it more like Reddit. Dat +1.  Gamification continues.

Offline ambassoon

• J-Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 25
  • An apple a day keeps the doctor away;if well aimed
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »
My opinions on the topic:

To be honest, the first time I came to jCafe, I was like, ".....Aren't there way too many boards flying everywhere?"

So one issue is that there's too much going on for people to actively split their attentions all around them. If we were to compress them, it would be much much better; having just an 'arts' section that covers drawing, music; 'entertainment' covering cosa notra, minecraft, movies & TV shows; 'IT' for Webhosting and P2P talk and the Computer, software, Game and internet sections etc.

Winny Club should keep it's own section, however, put the rest of them into two boards; "Uploads", which contains Novel, Comic, ebook and music (and to be safe, the nippon board as a sub-board inside "Uploads"; and "Scanlations", which covers the other two boards.

These two are just examples. All the other boards can be similarly compressed; it's just a matter people have access to MORE while having LESS. It's like walking into a supermarket - unless you were actively looking for it, not many people are going to stumble across the 2-dollar paper towel stash hidden in aisle 7589 underneath a pile of mops and buckets. Yes, some spring-cleaning may be required, but I feel that just rearranging and compressing certain boards and topics together will alleviate some of the stress and problems.

Offline 3Rton

• The Suzaku
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2012, 05:00:22 AM »
In some cases saying to a religious person that God doesn't exist is like saying to a realist that the floor you are standing on does not exist. Religious discussion is only viable when both parties have some overlapping fields in their view of reality. Otherwise it just becomes a quarrel.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2012, 02:51:08 AM »
More games.  a built in rpg maybe...

Offline Celestin

• J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »
Well, for rewards, I was thinking something more virtual rather than physical goods. Such as special rights and things, but there isn't an overly great amount of virtual rewards you can give on a forum other than special titles, mod rights and things like that. Though you don't really want to give mod rights as a reward... That's just asking for trouble.
Well, keep in mind that we were all into AION, like I said, and I happened to be able to attend a convention where they were handing out free promotional AION promotional merchandise, as in stuff that is not intended to, or ever be sold regularly.  So you either get it at a con or you never get it at all.  So for the guys who lived in like Czech Republic or Brazil or Sweden or etc., I thought it would be really cool if I could get some of that merch out to them.

Hey man, if people are mature, you shouldn't have a problem discussing your beliefs.  You want to talk about your pedophilia, okay, that's crossing some universal lines there.  Or actually, I wouldn't have anything to add, but I think that would be something interesting to read about.

Offline Nadeshiko

• J-Puppy + J-Maid + J-Sadist + Otome Gamer
  • Gold Dragon
  • Renommée: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
:D That works out quite well too. Rather, it sounds interesting to me haha. I suppose the main problem is organizing like dragonspell said? =/
Indeed, I don't mind organizing if I have members and mods to help me or give me tips.
Its rather unfortunate actually. The sensitive topics are the most interesting ones to debate about due to the vastly different opinions. I wonder if there is a way to go about it without members losing their tempers? Personally, I'd love to hear what others have to say about (using Nadeshiko's topic) whether a Supreme Being exists. Would it actually be possible to only allow certain users to access sensitive topics? I suppose not... Also the fact that it may upset some or stop other users that have interesting opinions from joining in. Plus, it would be difficult to determine which users can view it and which ones can't.
I would love to as well. I was afraid things like that might happen. Plus, my religious views may be considered unacceptable (not offensive) towards many people because I'm a Buddhist turned Agnostic. Therefore, I'm hesistant to voice my opinion on that matter.

Offline Moonsongrain

• jWizKid
  • J-Hardcore
  • Renommée: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2012, 10:39:31 AM »
Oh, nice. I was thinking of having a jCafe Oscar event. I remember some sites have a "Guess That Manga Contest" as well.
:D That works out quite well too. Rather, it sounds interesting to me haha. I suppose the main problem is organizing like dragonspell said? =/

So far, it's been the religion that has led to the worst fights (and, yes, that lead to a warnings, though most of mine were verbal because of the fact that there were other mods involved and its really just silly, in my opinion, to slap a warning on a mod because they can just take it right back off).  In fact, some members even quietly left during the middle of the drama because they didn't like the hostility.  But, yes.  The very, very sensitive topics.
Its rather unfortunate actually. The sensitive topics are the most interesting ones to debate about due to the vastly different opinions. I wonder if there is a way to go about it without members losing their tempers? Personally, I'd love to hear what others have to say about (using Nadeshiko's topic) whether a Supreme Being exists. Would it actually be possible to only allow certain users to access sensitive topics? I suppose not... Also the fact that it may upset some or stop other users that have interesting opinions from joining in. Plus, it would be difficult to determine which users can view it and which ones can't.

Events are nice and build a forum spirit.  They are, however, a major pain in the ass at times.  We'd need someone to organize.  Urameshi had such a hard time doing so the last time because of the various hassles.  I'd like to see more regular things, period, even if it is just a monthly Mafia game.
Ok... Following that train of thought along with the idea of a Games board with Cosa Nostra as a subboard, maybe we should put that board near the top to catch attention. Then, assuming its a regular game/event, we could put a banner at the top like the jMafia banner every month/however long.

OR (though I'm iffy about this) there could be a separate board for the weekly/monthly/whatever games and we could rotate. i.e. January play this game, February play another. Then every month just add a link to the game at the top of the forum. The reason for separating the board is because I'm thinking that if we have an event like a trivia game, you probably don't want it to mix in with Cosa Nostra as well? Plus, it'd allow for new users to see where the regular events are very easily rather than to hide it within another board.
Again, I'm not extremely sure about this as it really might just mess up the organization of the forum rather than help at all and you're right, it is a lot of hassle. I'd be willing to host a different game monthly if I actually had ideas for games (and exams every 4 months didn't kill my time).

No, you don't dude, no you don't.  I can wax eloquent for hours.  Plus, I already know my opinion, so I care less about it.  I would rather have somebody to bounce off of, so if I start, I put up so many bullshit walls to hide my stance.
*shrugs* well, for me, I find that reading others' opinions stimulates my own brain to think about certain things that I normally don't think of on my own. I need a bit to get my brain going haha.

I think events generally aren't worth the effort if its like an administrative deal.  However, if you can get a lot of major regulars behind it and the event just kinda organically materializes, those generally work much better.  Aardwolf had great events.

Oh man, I once tried to host an event... we were into AION at the time and I happened to be going to Comic-con so I grabbed some extra posters and shirts and intended to have an event to give them away.  Than I found out the shipping charges would be ass because I had guys from like Brazil and Czech Republic and... well, there went that.
That's true. It is difficult to get these things going without a lot of the regular members backing it up. But I do think the active regulars wouldn't mind playing the games. Particularly if it was "advertised" around jCafe, but I'm not too sure.

Well, for rewards, I was thinking something more virtual rather than physical goods. Such as special rights and things, but there isn't an overly great amount of virtual rewards you can give on a forum other than special titles, mod rights and things like that. Though you don't really want to give mod rights as a reward... That's just asking for trouble.

Offline Celestin

• J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »
Personally, I'd love it if you wrote a 2,000 word thesis. (Well, maybe not LOVE it) Its incredibly easier to actually be motivated to reply by long posts as opposed to "Here's a video/question, now throw what you think at me!". For someone like me, I'll just reply with a "...Um... I don't know..."
No, you don't dude, no you don't.  I can wax eloquent for hours.  Plus, I already know my opinion, so I care less about it.  I would rather have somebody to bounce off of, so if I start, I put up so many bullshit walls to hide my stance.

There's a great video on the future of gaming presented at DICE last or two years ago.  When I find it, I'm going to post it.  Don't expect a word from me because the guy's speech was already like 15 minutes anyway.

I don't give a shit about bullshit drama, but I live off controversy.

I think events generally aren't worth the effort if its like an administrative deal.  However, if you can get a lot of major regulars behind it and the event just kinda organically materializes, those generally work much better.  Aardwolf had great events.

Oh man, I once tried to host an event... we were into AION at the time and I happened to be going to Comic-con so I grabbed some extra posters and shirts and intended to have an event to give them away.  Than I found out the shipping charges would be ass because I had guys from like Brazil and Czech Republic and... well, there went that.

I still have them all and AION, I hear, bombed :/

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 513
  • And you know what? We kind of liked it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »
As you two are (were) talking about the Word Games board, I'm shifting through it now and I actually think it needs to be cleaned up before being moved anywhere. Word Games (to my understanding) is supposed to be, well, forum games that you play with words. However, I'm seeing topics that are not even game-related. For example, "What is the computer of your dream", "AMV", "How did you find jCafe?", etc.

I suppose that really the important point is not what the specific topics are for now, but how boards should be moved and such. However, I do think cleaning up the boards should be done as it is similar to mislabeling posts on a blog. People search a tag like "cloud" and expect to see posts about clouds, not about cooking.

That's because "Word Games" is literally the remains of Off-topic.  Some select threads that were originally in Off-topic were moved from there into Nachos.  However, a lot were left simply because they were too easy to spam and I didn't feel like moving them.  They could perhaps be moved, but, really Word Games is, at the moment, acting like the kitchen sink.

I think that the things that most people disagree on are extremely sensitive topics and may usually end up in a serious fight amongst members (depending on how sensitive people are), which leads to people leaving or silverado/infyquest having to resolve the issue and warn everyone. I believe it has happened before, but I'm not overly sure.

So far, it's been the religion that has led to the worst fights (and, yes, that lead to a warnings, though most of mine were verbal because of the fact that there were other mods involved and its really just silly, in my opinion, to slap a warning on a mod because they can just take it right back off).  In fact, some members even quietly left during the middle of the drama because they didn't like the hostility.  But, yes.  The very, very sensitive topics.

Building on Nadeshiko's idea of a scavenger hunt, maybe jCafe should have more (for lack of a better phrase) "forum events"? We did have a jCarnival one time and I thought that was fun. We could even have rewards for people that win certain games, but the rewards will have to depend on who will/can participate in the events. It could be possible to try to tie it in to Winny Club, but I don't have any idea how.

Events are nice and build a forum spirit.  They are, however, a major pain in the ass at times.  We'd need someone to organize.  Urameshi had such a hard time doing so the last time because of the various hassles.  I'd like to see more regular things, period, even if it is just a monthly Mafia game.

On another note, everyone keeps posting before I can finish my one post...

Sorry.  ^^  I know how much that sucks.  >_<

Offline Nadeshiko

• Gold Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
To add to your thought about "Improving Your Writing", I know of a thread on FF.Net that someone uses to give a "How To" or various grammar and writing style tips. Maybe it would be a good idea to make a sub-board for tips that answer general, frequent questions or help users understand common mistakes and how to avoid them. If you're interested in the thread, PM me and I'll link you (and I could try to help you with ideas if you'd like =D)
That sounds wonderful, thank you. I would love to see the link. :D Ah, you've just remined me that I need to post some things on sentence structure. Thank you, again.
Building on Nadeshiko's idea of a scavenger hunt, maybe jCafe should have more (for lack of a better phrase) "forum events"? We did have a jCarnival one time and I thought that was fun. We could even have rewards for people that win certain games, but the rewards will have to depend on who will/can participate in the events. It could be possible to try to tie it in to Winny Club, but I don't have any idea how.
Oh, nice. I was thinking of having a jCafe Oscar event. I remember some sites have a "Guess That Manga Contest" as well.

Offline Moonsongrain

• jWizKid
  • J-Hardcore
  • Renommée: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »
They're not, though.  The same thing I mean.  Word games is pure spam.  Writing, if Nadeshiko gets it up and running (she just very recently became a moderator) is meant to be more of a forum for writing and not spam games.  It's a hope that it might even be a place to discuss books, fanfic, writing techniques, and other writing topics.

Given the types of word games you do have though ( word association ), I think it would be a good fit for a general creative writing board.  You can remove post count from sub-boards.
As you two are (were) talking about the Word Games board, I'm shifting through it now and I actually think it needs to be cleaned up before being moved anywhere. Word Games (to my understanding) is supposed to be, well, forum games that you play with words. However, I'm seeing topics that are not even game-related. For example, "What is the computer of your dream", "AMV", "How did you find jCafe?", etc.

I suppose that really the important point is not what the specific topics are for now, but how boards should be moved and such. However, I do think cleaning up the boards should be done as it is similar to mislabeling posts on a blog. People search a tag like "cloud" and expect to see posts about clouds, not about cooking.

Also, a lot of people who post in the Writing forum like the idea of writing and expressing themselves, but lack the technique. Actually, technique is something that usually gets ignored by beginners at writing. I want to try and stress the importance of that. Perhaps, I should post more on the "Improving Your Writing" thread and unlock it. Therefore, other members can post and ask questions.
To add to your thought about "Improving Your Writing", I know of a thread on FF.Net that someone uses to give a "How To" or various grammar and writing style tips. Maybe it would be a good idea to make a sub-board for tips that answer general, frequent questions or help users understand common mistakes and how to avoid them. If you're interested in the thread, PM me and I'll link you (and I could try to help you with ideas if you'd like =D)

I think that there's a lot that our user base disagrees on (for instance, I am firmly pro-choice and I know for a fact that there are some on jCafe that would automatically label me a "baby killer" for that).  I just don't think that we talk about it like we could (and therefore be viewable).  It's something for the debate forum or Headlines (hell, Opinion if that's what you'd like to term it (Headlines and Opinion?  I just tossed a topic into Headlines that I could have easily thrown into debate with some different framing)).
I think that the things that most people disagree on are extremely sensitive topics and may usually end up in a serious fight amongst members (depending on how sensitive people are), which leads to people leaving or silverado/infyquest having to resolve the issue and warn everyone. I believe it has happened before, but I'm not overly sure.

For me, I have no problem talking about controversial issues as long as no one takes personal shots at me. I do, however, have a problem saying my own opinion if I think someone is going to be butthurt about it and throw a tantrum at me because if I do say it and I do get that reaction, I will be an extremely less-than-pleasant person which isn't good. Given certain past issues with people getting angry everywhere, it really does sort of reduce the motivation/want to include my own opinion on sensitive topics.

All of my other posts have been very long.  Just like this one.  I have a very stream of consciousness writing style.  I'm not certain if you really want to read a 2,000 word thesis; those tend to be just as scary.  If you really, really want me to post up, than sure, but its a shit ton.  Besides, generally, I am more interested in other people's ideas than my own.
Personally, I'd love it if you wrote a 2,000 word thesis. (Well, maybe not LOVE it) Its incredibly easier to actually be motivated to reply by long posts as opposed to "Here's a video/question, now throw what you think at me!". For someone like me, I'll just reply with a "...Um... I don't know..."
Also, usually when posts are short, I will tend not to reply because I just don't know what to say anymore, other than "XD That's great!" or just 1 emoticon, which is ridiculously pointless and only serves to piss me off.

I like the idea of a scavenger hunt.  I do think, however, tying it to uploads would result in a lot of frustration and spam (and thus more frustration).

On another note, everyone keeps posting before I can finish my one post...

Offline Nadeshiko

• Gold Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »
I'm fine with debate.  I don't mind controversy.  I do not, however, like the members under my charge feeling attacked and singled out because of trolling comments that serve no purpose other than to antagonize and degrade.  That was what I was referring to when I say that I now have a kneejerk reaction to religion threads.  I didn't used to have that.  I am actually very definitely not religious and find the study of them to be fascinating.
I actually talked to DS-san about the idea of a Supreme Being as a debate topic and I do plan to post it up in a few weeks. I do find religion fascinating, as well.
I think that it's very clear that the Writing forum is not part of Word Games (Off-topic) and regardless of the techniques found in your new topics, they bear a marked difference from the typical spam games found in the Off-topic forum.  Writing six word stories is extremely hard and requires an insane amount of editing.  I, myself, couldn't do.  I kept trying to write in full sentences.  =P  It is very different and much harder to successfully do than, say, Word Games' "three word story game" that merely requires you to keep building on what other forum members have already posted by selecting three words.  The 6 word story requires cohesion and extreme editing, the 3 word story GAME, not so much.
I like the idea of a scavenger hunt.  I do think, however, tying it to uploads would result in a lot of frustration and spam (and thus more frustration).
[/quote]
Yes, I had a feeling so. It was a small forum, so it worked.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 513
  • And you know what? We kind of liked it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
Unless people start taking bodyshots, religion is a perfectly fine topic, no matter how rowdy it gets.  I say bring those contentious attitudes out.  I'm not a fan of Stepford Wives shit, and besides, the more strongly people feel about something, the more they'll talk about it.  Hopefully right?  And if nobody gets murdered in the process, then things are just hunky dory.

I'm fine with debate.  I don't mind controversy.  I do not, however, like the members under my charge feeling attacked and singled out because of trolling comments that serve no purpose other than to antagonize and degrade.  That was what I was referring to when I say that I now have a kneejerk reaction to religion threads.  I didn't used to have that.  I am actually very definitely not religious and find the study of them to be fascinating.

Yes, I'm working on that. I just want to start with something comfortable. Six word short stories is actually a legit writing activity. It allows people to brainstorm and test themselves with new ideas. But I let most of the posts slide because I don't want to be too intimidating, yet. Perhaps, I should make things more clear on this part in the thread. It is my fault and I deeply apologise for failing as a Mod. Also, a lot of people who post in the Writing forum like the idea of writing and expressing themselves, but lack the technique. Actually, technique is something that usually gets ignored by beginners at writing. I want to try and stress the importance of that. Perhaps, I should post more on the "Improving Your Writing" thread and unlock it. Therefore, other members can post and ask questions.

I think that it's very clear that the Writing forum is not part of Word Games (Off-topic) and regardless of the techniques found in your new topics, they bear a marked difference from the typical spam games found in the Off-topic forum.  Writing six word stories is extremely hard and requires an insane amount of editing.  I, myself, couldn't do.  I kept trying to write in full sentences.  =P  It is very different and much harder to successfully do than, say, Word Games' "three word story game" that merely requires you to keep building on what other forum members have already posted by selecting three words.  The 6 word story requires cohesion and extreme editing, the 3 word story GAME, not so much.

I have another suggestion. I've seen this done in a forum before. During certain special holidays, the uploaders would upload the mangas. However, the link is a banner link and when people click the link, it leads to another section/thread in the forum. The person then has to search around that page for the same banner or clue (some kind of question like: search for this thread or this member's latest post to find the next link) to find the next link. This continues on for several times until finally, the person will be rewarded with an actual link. It can get members interested in the other topics of conversations. It's kind of like an easter egg hunt. Yes, it's time consuming and may not actually work, but it's just a suggestion.

Offline Nadeshiko

• Gold Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2012, 09:11:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Celestin-san, by the way.
They're not, though.  The same thing I mean.  Word games is pure spam.  Writing, if Nadeshiko gets it up and running (she just very recently became a moderator) is meant to be more of a forum for writing and not spam games.  It's a hope that it might even be a place to discuss books, fanfic, writing techniques, and other writing topics.
Yes, I'm working on that. I just want to start with something comfortable. Six word short stories is actually a legit writing activity. It allows people to brainstorm and test themselves with new ideas. But I let most of the posts slide because I don't want to be too intimidating, yet. Perhaps, I should make things more clear on this part in the thread. It is my fault and I deeply apologise for failing as a Mod. Also, a lot of people who post in the Writing forum like the idea of writing and expressing themselves, but lack the technique. Actually, technique is something that usually gets ignored by beginners at writing. I want to try and stress the importance of that. Perhaps, I should post more on the "Improving Your Writing" thread and unlock it. Therefore, other members can post and ask questions.

I have another suggestion. I've seen this done in a forum before. During certain special holidays, the uploaders would upload the mangas. However, the link is a banner link and when people click the link, it leads to another section/thread in the forum. The person then has to search around that page for the same banner or clue (some kind of question like: search for this thread or this member's latest post to find the next link) to find the next link. This continues on for several times until finally, the person will be rewarded with an actual link. It can get members interested in the other topics of conversations. It's kind of like an easter egg hunt. Yes, it's time consuming and may not actually work, but it's just a suggestion.

Offline Celestin

• J-Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2012, 01:51:33 AM »
Well, it...kind of did start like that.  ._.  So, you're not exactly wrong per se, to notice that.  However, most of our active members today (including me) were not part of that core club and joined at a later date.  They threw themselves in headfirst and were accepted right from the bat (your introduction topic, you have to admit, is extremely off-putting for some people).
I r samrt derp.  Or perceptive?  Herp derp?  Overall, you're probably just better with people though.

I know, and I'm sticking to my guns.  It was intentional; I prefer to be a bit different, a bit contentious and besides, I am not defined by my introduction topic, I am defined by the whole of my contributions.  I've also explained my specific circumstances to you, so there's that.  You might not appreciate it, but man, you gotta give me some credit for effort.  Look at the difference between this post and those; its hard to type like that mang.

I think that there's a lot that our user base disagrees on (for instance, I am firmly pro-choice and I know for a fact that there are some on jCafe that would automatically label me a "baby killer" for that).  I just don't think that we talk about it like we could (and therefore be viewable).  It's something for the debate forum or Headlines (hell, Opinion if that's what you'd like to term it (Headlines and Opinion?  I just tossed a topic into Headlines that I could have easily thrown into debate with some different framing)).
Unless people start taking bodyshots, religion is a perfectly fine topic, no matter how rowdy it gets.  I say bring those contentious attitudes out.  I'm not a fan of Stepford Wives shit, and besides, the more strongly people feel about something, the more they'll talk about it.  Hopefully right?  And if nobody gets murdered in the process, then things are just hunky dory.

I term as Opinions & editorials because so often, people will include their opinion with.  And now, you don't have to separate news from all the other riff raff!