Funds $35 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

33%

Author Topic: JCafe 2.0 - Suggestions to Improve  (Read 45874 times)

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 82
  • its hard work being lazy
    • View Profile
Re: JCafe 2.0 - Suggestions to Improve
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »
uh, yeah...

Offline Nagashiwa

• otaku
  • J-Regular
  • Renommée: 6
  • Mugen no Junin
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
Huh is here no forum part to discuss music?  :huh:

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2013, 12:23:21 PM »
Not really...
Was there before... If jcafe goes down the chatbox doesn't. I can't believe I didn't miss it...

Offline KidNemo

• J-Highlander
  • Renommée: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »
i see

** I mean I dont see. I cant find the draft feature and while it does save messages in an outbox when replying to their message it only shows the last message

Hmm chatbox thats new

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2013, 09:59:03 AM »
Again, never tried but as fsr as I know, the functionality is there.

Offline KidNemo

• J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
I shall check then. What about saving drafts?

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2013, 12:53:37 PM »
I think it does that if you set it to save your outgoing PMs. Not sure though, never tried

Offline KidNemo

• J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »
In the private messages it would be nice if when composing a message, if the history of the conversation could be laid out like a text message so I could just keep scrolling down to see what I have or the recipient has previously said

Offline benbaboon

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2013, 04:25:16 AM »
put in personal forums where passwords are needed to enter!

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2013, 07:09:52 AM »
Did i ever suggest a manga of the week page her? We should have something like that on our main page.

Offline DarkDooM

• Godfather of jCafe
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 2487
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »
I noticed this since a while already. This board has the function "Show the last posts of this person." but not "Show the last topics of this person."

For me it'd be a great help if I could see all the topics I have created so if it is possible to implement this function, please do.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 396
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »
Should be fixed!

Offline DarkDooM

• Godfather of jCafe
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 2487
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2013, 12:24:22 AM »
This has been suggested a couple of times already, if I'm correct. But I'm gonna do it anyway since it hasn't been fixed yet.

The sections "Novel Shoppu" and the 2 child boards of winny, "Dead Uploads" and "Requests & Search" all allow users with 0 posts to make their 1 post. Because of that especially the Novel Shoppu section has been flooded with those 1 time spammers.

I hope this can be fixed soon. :cries:

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2013, 01:32:03 AM »
Still working on that jcage manga

Offline Evilrabbits

• Spam God
  • Gold Dragon
  • Renommée: 11
  • time to relax and stop to smell the flowers
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2013, 07:02:13 AM »
I will now double jumps suggestion :)
I completely agree. The emoticon :facepalm: is an emoticon that is needed.
This emoticon will be able to allow jcafe members to better express themselves.
Thank you for your consideration.

Offline Jump3R

• Shiroyasha|燃えてきたぜ!!|FanBoy/FB|OVER NINE THOUSA~ND posts!|Totally Off The Wall And Crazy (Totwac)|Dragon of the 9 Threads of Spam|Itsumo|Gyarakushia|Jyan|Wiseass| Shogun Obvious|Sweater|Sir Douchebag
  • Global Moderator
  • Galaxia
  • Renommée: 153
  • 真実はいつもひとつ!
    • View Profile
    • FictionPress Acc
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2013, 03:53:49 AM »
Ok, I have just small suggestion.
Even though the emoticon list is quite expanded, there is one emoticon I wish it could be here.
Namely, Face Palm emoticon.
While visiting jCafe each day for almost 3 months now I encountered several situations I could've use it and several that others could've used it.
That's all I had to say. Thank you for your time and attention.

Offline cbellis1924

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »
To be honest this is only my second post, but I think you need to make the site more appealing. Something that makes people want to come back, or say "what was that site that I went to" (I have a degree in marketing so I like thinking about things like this). Personally I like most things about the site and I enjoy reading others thoughts and I do enjoy almost all forums. I, however, am not one to be so open with people I don't know and am afraid of people saying my thoughts are wrong; so what if there were a place where new members could speak they're mind without that fear. There would have to be someone who knew much more about the subject there, if only to offer constructive feed back. Those are my thoughts I hope I at least helped even in a small way.   

Offline Andrew85

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07:22 AM »
 Maybe posts with just "Thanks" in it should be considered spam, at least if this is first (not to say the only) post of user. Otherwise topics may look like Mayo Chiki novel topic where 90% replies on 5 pages is monosyllabic.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2013, 03:45:33 AM »
i'd do it but im not in winny a lot.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2013, 02:19:05 AM »
Well, I encourage new hirees to apply for mod position in winny club.

Offline chaosranger

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2013, 01:02:11 AM »
On an unrelated note I'm also toying with the idea of rewriting/reorganizing the rules to make them a bit more reader/newbie friendly and coming up with explicit rules for some of the things we moderators have to deal with but don't have something in the rulebook to point to (e.g. incessant nagging about the next chapter/volume).
Make an etiquette rule(s) to enforce good judgment or behavior on the forums that can also be reflected with Renommée. 
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Back to normal now.
hmmm...
I think we need another active mod in the Winny Club to fill the void that Renegade334 left, people are becoming to sloppy with spoilers, open links, and Thank you spam. 
Speaking of links, are links leading to other sites like (raw1st.com, rawscans.com, etc...) even allowed?  Some of the links I ran into deal with the stupid adfly site or on that site the links are dead or are file servers on the ban list, like mediafire.

Offline byakushiki

• J-Robo Police
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Earth
  • Renommée: 76
  • Byakushiki is my variation on Hyakushiki.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »
Back to normal now.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:46 AM »
why is there spam in this thread? where're the mods

Offline y3kcjd5

• J-Hardcore
  • Renommée: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
Is there some way to receive reported post notifications as PMs? I've found that sometimes my e-mail will collect dust for a while and when I finally go back to check it it's peppered with notifications. I would personally find it easier to notice if I could get that little shower of brass envelopes (maybe make a special icon for reports?) when someone reports something.

On an unrelated note I'm also toying with the idea of rewriting/reorganizing the rules to make them a bit more reader/newbie friendly and coming up with explicit rules for some of the things we moderators have to deal with but don't have something in the rulebook to point to (e.g. incessant nagging about the next chapter/volume).

Offline Renegade334

• ** RETIRING **
  • Silver Dragon
  • Renommée: 6190
  • Do NOT ask me how to see DL links. READ THE RULES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »
Well, I've really dithered on this topic, but I've finally extended a warning to Fenrir_test (after several warning posts in Winny Club, which I'm not sure he read after). Yeah, big time slowpoke here -- been busy and very distracted lately due to private projects (still banging my head on a Java project).

Fenrir_test was slowly starting to diversify his messages and actually discuss series plot developments/ask questions, so I tried to give him one last chance - but he once again fell back into his bad habits - hence the warning. Anyway, he says he won't post those messages again, so we'll have to see whether that promise holds out. Regardless, he's on the watch list now. He knows.

Offline MintiNF

• J-Werewolf j-Batman
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »
i support this. :yay:

Offline Spiritovod

• >:3
  • J-Legend
  • Renommée: 1582
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »
Well, it seems that the new rule doesn't actually that needed after all. Besides, Renegade is not sure if it will be right to implement such a rule, considering his previous experience with more strict rules on another site - and his arguments were more than convincing for me. The only person who is really irritating me at the moment is Fenrir_test, and I demand that someone will take care of him in one way or another, as he had already "spammed" Winny Club with 750+ useless posts within a few months. 

On another note, what do you think about an IRC channel for jCafe? With all current developments in copyrights related area it sounds like a good way to discuss/operate stuff (primarily to discuss) there. It will be also useful in case of the site's maintenance or downtime due to attacks/other problems, so it will be possible to inform people about the matter, etc.
I've registered 2 channels for now: [email protected] and [email protected]  - right now #jcafe24 is considered as "official channel", but it easily can be changed in any moment. I think it's possible to integrate IRCHighway's webchat or Mibbit service into the site for those who don't like standalone software or unfamiliar with the IRC itself.
Any questions and suggestions are welcomed.       

Update: If jCafe mods wants to be an operator on the channel (or admin in case of silverado), PM me a random word here and the same word there - it's for correct person identification. And your nick should be registered on the network first (with the help of the nickserv service).   

Offline AlexMustDie

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2012, 06:23:03 AM »
A little suggestion from a newbie,
  • First of all maybe the staff can consider upgrading the smf version to version 2.x.x since newer version mean less bugs and better mods support.
  • Secondly maybe the staff can put the forum into maintenance mode when trying new mods or when updating the themes, its been a long time since I last touch smf but im sure that smf have a maintenance mode.
  • Thirdly, it seems that you guys have too many floating member (registered member that rarely post), maybe you can attract those member into active members by arranging some sort of event on each suitable board, such as a writing short story/fan fic event on the writing board, drawing avatar/banner/signature/fan art event on the drawing board, a debate event  etc, the winner can get some sort of custom title or a +karma addition, while +karma don’t have much use at smf 1.x.x (except if you install a shop mods where you can buy stuff using +karma) you get a karma bar at smf 2.x.x that looks kinda cool, you also can add a portal mods to post the contest results upfront.
  • Fourth, got to admit that a lot of people came for the warez especially manga, while the other boards is dying, maybe you guys can assign some active mod for those dying boards and start a discussion thread in each board also a request thread would be nice.

sorry if I write too much, just want to share a little of what i thought regarding the forum improvement.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2012, 02:06:04 AM »
Ok, cool down time works.

Unit of warning levels are in DAYS.

I will look into the Novel Shoppu Issue.

Default cool down should be 1 or 4 days per level. I forgot which of them ^^.

Offline y3kcjd5

• J-Hardcore
  • Renommée: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »
It seems to me the issue here is that on the one hand some topics are getting spammed with thank you notes, while on the other some topics stay alive thanks to those notes. I also think that the one-note-a-month idea would be somewhat hard to implement. To solve all this, I think point 4.3 of the new rule should be modified. Below is my interpretation of the draft Renegade334 provided (some parts reworded for clarity):
Quote (selected)
4. In order to cut down on on spam-like posts in Winny Club, simple posts will be restricted as of [insert date here]. Examples of simple posts include: "thank you", "ren+", "thanks for the up, downloading", "awesome", "I'll read it now", etc. As a general rule, those posts that are no more than one (complete) sentence long and contain no new information relevant to the topic will be considered simple posts. If you wish to express your gratitude for a post or upload, please use the Renommée link labeled "Thank You!" that can be found to the left of each post under the poster's name and activity meter. If your post contains discussion about the topic series, a technical question, a reupload request (for dead links only), or any other useful information relevant to the topic, it will not be considered a simple post.
4.1 As of [insert date here], simple posts will be deleted upon discovery by moderators, and a warning may be issued. Persistence in posting such messages will result in a mute or a ban.
4.2 In the interest of keeping older and less discussed topics alive, an exception to the previous will be made if the most recent post in a topic is at least 1 month old at the time a simple post is posted to that topic.

Unrelated: What's the unit of time used in the warning menu? What happens if it's set to 0?