Funds $197 | Needed $160
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

131%

Author Topic: US Uploaders: US ISPs are going to start traffic monitoring by 07.12.2012  (Read 19857 times)

Offline moebius8

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
its a grey area the rules dont have a lot of teeth, however the big isps are going to be looking for
scapegoats they can drag out to say "look at us we are so doing the monitoring, we is awesome".
i would get into usenet everything you could want for movies and music is in the usenet groups.

/except for manga sigh

Offline Naeko

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: -4
    • View Profile
Quote (selected)
"not one of the service providers has agreed to permanently terminate service.".

This is deliberately done to avoid triggering one of the Supreme Court's prior rulings on mandatory termination of internet service.

That's because some people have purchased commercial services that remotely monitor a premises via internet connection and mandatory termination of many users would be tantamount to denying those commercial services the ability to compete (lawsuit time).   Also, lots of users have property and medical alarm services through internet connections.  The various USA ISPs in the Graduated Response agreement have already issued a joint statement that they will not terminate accounts that have alarm or medical monitoring.  Medical malpractice suits are legendary in the USA, and the first internet medical-monitoring account terminated would become huge lawyer bait.

Quote (selected)
Stupid idiots, they don't have to permanently terminate the service, the customers will just flock away themselves. They can try all they want but there will always be some way around it.

People can flock to another ISP.  But what if the other "good bandwidth" or "good price" ISPs are also connected to the Database?  A customer fleeing an ISP has to first buy out the remaining months and early-termination penalties in the contract; this is already standard practice for cable and wireless internet contracts.  So, you have a financial loss right there.  Then you have to buy a new contract with a new ISP.

Anyways, the purpose of the Database is to provide information TO BE UTILIZED by the ISPs.  It is not merely an end-destination of data for RIAA/MPAA prosecution use (which it will support independently of the ISPs own arm-twisting efforts).  The Database's PRIMARY purpose is to be a source of data for the ISPs to use.  The database will be maintained by a third party and they are charged with keeping the database going as well as researching data to make sure it is up to date.  I assume but don't really know if that means updated home addresses of alleged bad users; they are so secretive about what they have or don't have collected which is the advantage of companies running things instead of the gov't which is required to have transparency.

The Database prevents a customer from leaving the ISP after sanctions start because the other ISP will simply enforce the same sanctions once it learns of "three strikes" against that customer.  Another advantage of the database is that if the alleged filesharer cannot have someone else in the household purchase the ISP account because the filesharer's home address can be tracked and updated by the third party firm that maintains the database.   This eliminates the fear that an ISP will lose customers if it enforces TOS on a LOT of its customers and not just the few as it is done now.  The subscribers will quickly see that it is far easier to obey the copyright laws than to oppose them. 

Because it is not a gov't run project, you cannot automatically invoke the Constitution's #1 or #4 against it.  To avoid SCOTUS's constitutional challenge, users will not be terminated, but simply be throttled or rate shaped, although paying for a comcast cable or verizon FiOS and having it rateshaped to 56kbits is an effective punishment to P2P filesharers (and profitable for the ISP).  There will be the few exceptions, but I predict the vast majority of users will simply obey rather than fight.  And that is all the ISPs need to have the Graduated Response plan become successful. 

Quote (selected)
Ron Paul 2012 F*** the haters.

Obama is very firmly in favor of ACTA and has publicly said so.  Even in his State of the Union address, he mentioned that more enforcement efforts was needed for intellectual property.  While it would be "wasting your vote", there is some humor in a bumper sticker such as
  Voldemort 2012
Vote the lesser evil

Offline Aaroniro

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
Ron Paul 2012 F*** the haters.

Offline Nanaya2007

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 3
    • View Profile
Informing yourself isn't enough though.
Mass complaints about this directed to congressmen and the ISPs themselves will stop this. ONLY those will work.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 396
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
Don't get angry, inform yourself and others - that's what you ought to do.

Offline WarriorKalia

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
Okay.

So given all this, isn't this going to be shot down at some point? It's unconstitutional, and is already partially illegal in... Florida, was it? At least, there was a groundbreaking trial I believe in which blanket subpoenas were said to be unconstitutional. Such a similar system would naturally follow.

Unless you're suggesting this sort of thing never happens.

Regardless, we do need some kind of campaign in protest. But berating people for being sheep isn't really going to get them angry at anyone but you, silver-bro.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
People only hear what they allow themselves to understand.

National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 :
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/12/with-reservations-obama-signs-act-to-allow-detention-of-citizens/

The NDAA's historic assault on American liberty
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/jan/02/ndaa-historic-assault-american-liberty

U.S. Law May Allow Killings, Holder Says
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/us/politics/holder-explains-threat-that-would-call-for-killing-without-trial.html

To sum it up, NDAA 2012 defines homeland as far combat zone and in a combat zone it is allowed to detain, abduct, torture and even kill a US citizen LEGALLY.

Ah, why am I going into this anyway? I'm not even affected by this.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
  • Renommée: 514
  • And you know what? We kind of liked it.
    • View Profile
@dragonspell, it was more in general than directed specifically at you. Too many people these days are disillusioned by the current state of politics and think nothing can be done about it. They are a part of the reason why it has become as bad as it has today.

I knew what you meant.  That's why I put in the line about knowing what you meant.  It's just the way it was phrased came out more personal so I chose to respond in both ways (i.e. understanding what you meant but refuting the personal claim).

But, really, why not be disillusioned?  When you know for a fact that you can scream loud and hard but unless you have money, you're not going anywhere.  Knowing that Congress has been bought and paid for, that the Supreme Court has been bought and paid for, and that the President is stuck in a gridlock and forced to be a centralist when we thought we elected a Democrat. 

NOTHING will change in Congress without campaign finance reform, making it illegal to bribe the senators and representatives by donating to their "re-election fund" or treating them to expensive dinners/golf games/retreats/what have you.    It's time that we, as a nation, said that money might talk but it sure as hell doesn't VOTE.  Without campaign finance reform, Congress will continue to be under the thumb of wealthy donors and all laws made, all top concerns will be about what people like the Koch brothers, Wall Street and the banks have decided on.

The pretty little monkeys on Fox News keep screaming about how they don't "understand" the Occupy Movement, about how there's not an attack on women by Republicans, about how Citizens United was an excellent decision, about how the current Supreme Court ISN'T activist and overreaching, about how CEOs and businesses need to make vast amounts of money to attract "top talent" but it is the teachers and firefighters and social workers with their 32k per year jobs that are making too much, about how education should be privatized, about how millions of Americans don't deserve to have healthcare, about how we should just hand over all of our civil liberties and let the government paw through our lives and everything else that their corporate masters hand them.  That we should just take the little blue pill and anything else TPTB want to hand us and like it.

It can make you mad.  It should upset people.  And when it doesn't, when people remain just as ignorant as always, calmly swallowing every little lie hook, line and sinker, you just want to scream at the sky and pull your hair out.  And then those caught fish about to be hauled in and fried up will go and vote AGAINST THEIR BEST INTERESTS and you just want to cry.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
@toin7 You ISPs are fucking you up for downloading mp3s and your law allows you to be not only detained for months, but also abducted, tortured and assassinated without trial. And you call me delusional.

Online ramenchef

• J-Recruit
  • Renommée: 40
    • View Profile
@silverado, I'm sorry, but I can no longer take you seriously. You are way too paranoid. Sure, things aren't great or even good but they are in no way as bad as you claim. Seriously, you need a chill pill. To compare modern day America to Nazi Germany is nothing short of delusional.

@dragonspell, it was more in general than directed specifically at you. Too many people these days are disillusioned by the current state of politics and think nothing can be done about it. They are a part of the reason why it has become as bad as it has today.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
I admit that first quote I dropped the ball on the second half of the quote. The second one is just speculation by the author of the article though. I only meant to quote the quote and not the baseless conclusion the author drew from that quote.

Again.  Pointing out that there are not "new" violations of the law already prove that it is already going on.  We should already be outraged.  And, really, it DID create a new VARIATION of the violation.

You want the government to change? Go out and vote instead of moping around saying it can't be stopped.

...Who says I don't vote?  Who says I don't contact my representatives? 

I know what you're saying, but also understand that you're making assumptions in your statements based on who you assume I am.  They aren't correct.

Become an activist.

Beyond what I already do?  Find someone to pay my bills.  I can't afford the standard "starving time."

Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

By the way, I'm a teacher.  In the classroom, I'm not allowed to voice my own political affiliations (oh, the red tape will drive you nuts) but I am allowed to bring this stuff to my students and let them make up their own minds.  Challenge them to think, to get involved.

Nothing's going to change without something to stem the tide.

I'll agree with that.

But it comes down to the fact, are we hungry enough?  Have we starved enough?  Have we sacrificed enough of our freedoms?  Will America ever wake up; it's asleep at the wheel.  Or are we just content to let ourselves sluggishly hand over our freedoms in exchange for the promise of "safety"?

And look at the Occupy Movement.  If ever there was a rallying cry for change, that was one.  Look at what happened last year in Wisconsin.  And both movements were ignored, glossed over, TPTB attempting to sweep it under the rug with the stranglehold that they have on the wealth of the nation and the media (Fox News, for one).  And the American sheep calmly kept in line.

Replied: April 06, 2012, 08:20:32 AM
Also, another article on the Trespass Bill: http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=50256

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
For those interested: The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter

"The NSA has established listening posts throughout the nation to collect and sift through billions of email messages and phone calls, whether they originate within the country or overseas. It has created a supercomputer of almost unimaginable speed to look for patterns and unscramble codes. Finally, the agency has begun building a place to store all the trillions of words and thoughts and whispers captured in its electronic net. And, of course, it’s all being done in secret. To those on the inside, the old adage that NSA stands for Never Say Anything applies more than ever."

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
Again, you are re-living what the Jewish Germans experienced in 1931. Progressive corruption of civil rights, structural social discrimination, enslavement by institutional control systems, here it is debts to banks, back then it was ethical background and race, criminalization of freedom of speech and demonstration, structural build up of a citizen espionage network.

Those are all anti-civil war preparations.

Online ramenchef

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
I admit that first quote I dropped the ball on the second half of the quote. The second one is just speculation by the author of the article though. I only meant to quote the quote and not the baseless conclusion the author drew from that quote. You want the government to change? Go out and vote instead of moping around saying it can't be stopped. The issue is that people in general are dumb, and fear-mongering works on dumb people. Go out and make a difference. Become an activist. Nothing's going to change without something to stem the tide.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
On a happier note, Japan, South Korea, Canada, Australia, Singapore and USA, basically all Echelon Partners in the Pacific areas are going through similar preparations in response to the recent surge in Chinese hacking attacks, but they don't come with the bullshit 3 strike policies and the so-called fight against piracy. That is something the media corporations cooked up themselves. It is the worst in the USA because here the citizens got used to so much abuse that they don't fight back anymore.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
Did you actually read that article you sent me?

Yes, I did.  It's one of many that pops up on a search.

Keyword: Secret Service protection

Keyword: "Secret."  As in, their operations are secret and you don't know where they are.  They can claim that something is under Secret Service Protection and have you locked up with the key thrown away.

As for your other key quotes: they prove that this is already GOING ON.  With the erosion of civil liberties, don't expect a sudden cliff.  It's just not going to happen.  It's a slow, downward slope, with politicians and corporations and the powers that be pushing you down it one step at a time.  Those who think that they've hit a cliff because they're down so far its scary just haven't been paying any attention.

Also, please finish the quotes.

Quote (selected)
"[HR 347] has been described as a death knell for the First Amendment, but that isn't supported by the facts," Verheyden-Hilliard adds. "This has always been a bad law."

Gabe Rottman of the American Civil Liberties Union adds to IB Times, "Bottom line, it doesn't create any new violations of the law.” So far, however, it has raised awareness of the levels that the US government are willing to go to in order to make it harder to express ones’ self.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
What you call fearmongering is simple deduction from observations of recent events.

- You simply are not reading articles at the whole:

"If the prosecutors had had sufficient data to indicate that illegal materials were stored on Doe’s hard drives, forcing him to testify would’ve been valid under the foregone conclusion principle."
-> No, you are not.

Have it ever occurred to you that in a country that gives out death penalties on shaky evidences because of their skin color, that drives students into exorbitant debts and robs them from a healthy future for a lifetime, that lies about Corexit during the Gulf Spill, that lied about the incident at the Tonkin Gulf that led to a huge war, that tortures and even assassination its own citizens and Presidents, that in such a country it would not be so far-fetched if authorities would make up evidence to arrest you on false charges? Does the shit have to boil before you smell it?
Do you want to know what this all is really about? It's about censorship and national security. The federal wide implementation of packet sniffing system is not something that the movie industry could have passed on their own. Heck, the music industry has been trying to do so for 20 years. This new system is part of the new cyber warfare defense system strategy introduced into the Pentagon after Obama entered the house. It is one of the big concessions he had to make in order to box through his health care plan. Without the government backing all such things like ACTA or PIPA or SOPA could not have passed without a turmoil. The mere fact THAT SOPA was widely covered, means that it was planned as decoy, while the real deal was done behind closed doors. So in the end it does not matter if you protested against SOPA, because SOPA was never meant to pass.

--You are allowed to film cops.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110922/17205716057/forget-being-arrested-filming-police-now-theyre-arresting-people-sitting.shtml

Good luck explaining to your law firm that you got jailed for sitting in the park doing nothing.

Online ramenchef

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
I never said everyone on this site was american. He brought up SOPA, so I countered his argument.

Did you actually read that article you sent me?

Quote (selected)
Under H.R. 347, which has more commonly been labeled the Trespass Bill by Congress, knowingly entering a restricted area that is under the jurisdiction of Secret Service protection can garner an arrest. The law is actually only a slight change to earlier legislation that made it an offense to knowingly and willfully commit such a crime.
Keyword: Secret Service protection

Quote (selected)
"[HR 347] has been described as a death knell for the First Amendment, but that isn't supported by the facts," Verheyden-Hilliard adds.

Quote (selected)
Gabe Rottman of the American Civil Liberties Union adds to IB Times, "Bottom line, it doesn't create any new violations of the law.”

There's more federal government power now than ever before due to 2 major things. One, young people don't vote as often as they should. They think their vote doesn't matter. Two, old people have always voted more conservative in general and they make up a major part of the people who actually vote. Once the baby boomers start retiring and stop voting, things should theoretically get better. You still need to motivate the younger generations to vote if you want to wrestle control back from the government, though.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
I never took SOPA lightly. I actively protested it, contacting all my reps through phone calls, emails, and letters. Did you do anything about it?

Not everyone on this site is American.

Nowadays you aren't allowed to protest in public areas.
-Yes you are, until there were health concerns/huge costs to the city for having police there 24/7. OWS should have stayed despite the eviction notice as a means of protest. They wouldn't have had enough space to arrest everyone. That would have been a great peaceful disobedience, but it never happened.

Have you heard about the Trespass Bill?  You can now be arrested for protesting in certain areas.

And you bring up the Occupy movement, which is interesting, considering just how many of the protesters were arrested.  If the police could not find a reason to arrest people, they would manufacturer a reason.

I don't get into the paranoia territory as much as Silv but it's hard to avoid the fact that we as a nation are very much heading into a governmental control era.  It's 1984, baby, be careful what you think.

Online ramenchef

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
Wow, there is so much fearmongering in that post that I don't know where to begin.
You do realize that grabbing IPs from bittorrent is easily automated right? It's really easy. Hell, there's even a website that does it, but to a much lesser degree than the RIAA/MPAA does it, youhavedownloaded.com. Also, they won't blacklist 60 million people from the internet. That's a strawman argument.
I never took SOPA lightly. I actively protested it, contacting all my reps through phone calls, emails, and letters. Did you do anything about it?

-Yes you are, until there were health concerns/huge costs to the city for having police there 24/7. OWS should have stayed despite the eviction notice as a means of protest. They wouldn't have had enough space to arrest everyone. That would have been a great peaceful disobedience, but it never happened.
You are not allowed to encrypt your harddisk.
-yes you are.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/119855-us-appeals-court-upholds-fifth-amendment-right-to-not-decrypt-hard-drives
You are not allowed to pass air port security without redundant radioactive x-ray screening.
-which has been proven to be ineffective anyways. I travel semifrequently (8-10 times a year) and have yet to go through one of these backscatter machines. TSA is a joke anyways, and has always been a joke.
You are not allowed to film cops while they are beating down your friend or family right before your eyes.
-Yes you are. If they take it away, take them to court.
http://jurist.org/paperchase/2011/08/first-circuit-court-upholds-right-to-record-public-police-action.php
You are not allowed to even stand around and resist passively.
-Yes you are. If they threaten to arrest you, so be it. That's how the protesters of old did it. They overfilled the jail cells until the police couldn't do anything about it. That's how you peacefully protest.

Nice hyperbole about Iraq/N. Korea by the way. Have you even been to N. Korea? Pretty much everyone is starving, all news is pretty much 100% fake. There basically is no internet. You have to use a government created OS.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
Let's talk about it in 2 years, when they have blacklisted 60 mio internet users. Maybe then you will understand that those were not done by hand, but that they have implemented an automatic process to monitor traffic, both the ISPs and the movie industry. While you are still quibbling about definitions , they are blowing away any kind of freedom and ways to express democracy, that you guys've had.

When SOPA or ACTA came out, you guys were also taking it lightly. Why? Maybe because you were victim of a huge MISINFORMATION campaign? Let me sum up the latest development in democracy for latecomers like you:

You are not allowed to encrypt your harddisk.
You are not allowed to pass air port security without redundant radioactive x-ray screening.
You are not allowed to film cops while they are beating down your friend or family right before your eyes.
You are not allowed to even stand around and resist passively.

And now, they are taking away your only freedom to express and inform yourself.

Man, you guys are living under a corporate dictatorship.

Did I say your food is polluted by gm crop?

If I didn't know better, I'd think THIS would be Iraq or North Korea.

Online ramenchef

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Yes it's a bad thing. What's wrong is how it is being described. ISPs, at least not with this current plan, will be monitoring your traffic. Copyright holders will monitor P2P networks, gather IPs, then forward those IPs to ISPs. Those ISPs will then put those IPs down in a database and send them a warning letter along with +1 strike. ISPs have NOTHING to do with detecting copyright infringers. And no, this is not a censorship system. It is an unfair system due to the $35 fee you have to pay to challenge each strike in a guilty until proven innocent system, but it is not censorship. Again, copyright holders bear the burden of finding copyright infringers, NOT ISPs. This 6 strike system is almost purely limited to bittorrent anyways, due to the ease of gathering IPs from public trackers. I don't support it, but you guys are making it out to be a whole nother beast than it actually is.

EDIT: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/07/major-isps-agree-to-six-strikes-copyright-enforcement-plan.ars

Quote (selected)
Much of the scheme mirrors what ISPs do now. Copyright holders will scan the 'Net for infringement, grabbing suspect IP addresses from peer-to-peer file-sharing networks. If they see your IP address participating in a swarm for, say, Transformers, they will look up that IP address to see which ISP controls it, then fire off a message.

http://the1709blog.blogspot.com/2012/03/isps-six-strikes-enforcement-plan-in.html
Quote (selected)
1) If a copyright owner complains to an ISP (presumably, based on sniffing out IP addresses through BitTorrent),then that service provider sends an online alert such as an email to the subscriber. The alert explains how to secure a wireless network, how to avoid copyright violations in the future and how to lawfully obtain content in the future.2) A second alert may follow if illicit file-sharing persists, or the ISP may move on to the next alert.3) With the third alert, there will be some kind of mechanism (like a pop-up notice or landing page) to ensure that the subscriber received the message.4) Another alert. Same drill as the last one.5) On the fifth alert, the ISP may take action, such as temporarily reducing connection speeds or requiring the user to review and respond to educational information on copyright. The ISP may also skip the mitigation measures and just issue another alert.6) By the sixth alert, all participating ISPs will either throttle the user or require educational measures. The entertainment industry doesn’t expect that many people will persist with copyright violations at this point.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
The title is a falsehood. ISPs will NOT be actively monitoring your traffic. What is going to happen is that ISPs will continue to forward copyright infringement letters from rights holders, which is already happening right now, but starting July 2012, those letters come with the 6 strikes policy. It is the rights holders that determine if you're a copyright infringer or not, the ISPs have nothing to do with that. ISPs are merely the messenger and carry out the latter punishments of the 6 strikes policy. Basically, don't pirate RIAA/MPAA stuff off public torrents, especially if they are new. Licensed anime/manga is grey waters as those have gotten letters before, but they're much more rare.

You don't get it, do you? The USA will introduce active NAME and HASH filter systems to AUTOMATE their 3 strike censorship system. If you believe that the ISP will monitor 240 mio internet users by hand and forward CoD letters, then you may also believe in flying ponies and the American Constitution. This is what they wanted all along. A giant big frigging ass internet firewall to establish federal wide censorship. The sad thing is that you guys are letting it happen.

Offline Renegade334

• ** RETIRING **
  • Silver Dragon
  • Renommée: 6190
  • Do NOT ask me how to see DL links. READ THE RULES!
    • View Profile
The warnings though... I get 1 and I switch ISPs as simple as that. As for blocking the user's web access or reducing the speed... they better not even think of doing that while the customer is paying for their full service or they'll be getting a lot of letters from lawyers.

Last I heard, the plan involved creating a "common list" that would be shared between each ISP, so as to prevent the possibility of users hopping from one company to another in order to get a clean slate.
Quote (selected)
Darn the US is getting more and more like China. One of these days the ISPs will start filtering websites and search results...

Google is not an ISP and yet it's already doing that - I believe it started pruning torrent references and link farms (I'm all for that one, though, since I find them an annoyance) from its result pages. It's already feeding you with what it believes you may see, even though it's not actively blocking your access to website X or Y.

Online ramenchef

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
The title is a falsehood. ISPs will NOT be actively monitoring your traffic. What is going to happen is that ISPs will continue to forward copyright infringement letters from rights holders, which is already happening right now, but starting July 2012, those letters come with the 6 strikes policy. It is the rights holders that determine if you're a copyright infringer or not, the ISPs have nothing to do with that. ISPs are merely the messenger and carry out the latter punishments of the 6 strikes policy. Basically, don't pirate RIAA/MPAA stuff off public torrents, especially if they are new. Licensed anime/manga is grey waters as those have gotten letters before, but they're much more rare.

Offline byakushiki

• J-Robo Police
  • Global Moderator
  • God of Earth
  • Renommée: 76
  • Byakushiki is my variation on Hyakushiki.
    • View Profile
I hope this idea gets squashed. It opens too many problems with privacy.

Offline dragonspell

• I ♥ Winchester Boys!
  • jCafe Nobility
  • God of Water
    • View Profile
At the moment is only on USA, right? :huh:

It will spread.

I sincerely hope that this "agreement" gets sued all to Hell.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
They are already filtering the web, duh.

Offline raptorfalcon

• Final Boss!
  • J-Addict
  • Renommée: 221
    • View Profile
Hash check... is that the best they could do? This is definitely going to cripple the less technically savvy "pirates" and those that download movies/songs/software. As for manga, as long as the community is alive, the hash-check is nothing but a minor annoyance.  The warnings though... I get 1 and I switch ISPs as simple as that. As for blocking the user's web access or reducing the speed... they better not even think of doing that while the customer is paying for their full service or they'll be getting a lot of letters from lawyers.

Darn the US is getting more and more like China. One of these days the ISPs will start filtering websites and search results...

Offline tenjouten

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 4
    • View Profile
"not one of the service providers has agreed to permanently terminate service.".

Lol, they monitor people's services and treat them like criminals, but they don't want to stop grabbing money out of their pockets. Stupid idiots, they don't have to permanently terminate the service, the customers will just flock away themselves. They can try all they want but there will always be some way around it.