Funds $35 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

33%

Author Topic: Shipping Wars: The maker of popular shows and games or the result?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Lizaitelo

• LizaiteloMP
  • J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
Shipping Wars The maker of popular shows and games or the result
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 11:53:51 PM »
Posting again, herell be where the graphs are, and a breakdown of the results.  Ill edit this post and put them here for everyone to see once I actually get everything in order.

Offline gohan

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping Wars: The maker of popular shows and games or the result?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
i hate shipping it always come late
and usually they get lost and you never get it

Offline CoquetteBlossom

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
I would say that both things go hand in hand.

It is my opinion that, except in those fandoms where romance is the MAIN appeal (AKA romance novels, or shoujo manga/anime), the stronger a plot is, the bigger is the shipping.

By this I mean that shippers are attracted to characters with depth: a set of goals, a moral, a backstory and a plot that makes them reveal those traits and forces them to interact. The better the story is, the more believable the characters are, and the more fond you get of them. As such, you start seeing REAL chemistry in their interactions with other equally believable characters, and thus the shipping is born.

As the characters grow more real and people start investing their emotions on them, it's obvious shipping starts to become a relevant part of the story; not enough to overcome the plot, but enough for the media makers to understand that a big portion of the fans expect something in the romance department.

This analysis, obviously, ignores the media focused solely on romance.

Offline poppysever

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »
Read I'm very easy to understand. A new idea, never knowing where they come from before.

Offline tofuninja

• J-Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:54:08 AM »
Well in my opinion Avatar (The Last Airbender only, not Korra) has a great story and executed nicely. They did throw in a few moments of fan service moments just for laughs every once in a while unlike Legend of Korra, where the romance between characters took the spotlight and it got quite tiresome. I think what drew people to TLA would be Aang's journey to be an Avatar and discovering the world of Avatar. Korra's story felt really rushed (since it's a mini-series). Hopefully, it would get better for the next few seasons.

I guess you could say Twilight is popular because of shipping, but I feel like it was because of how fans are obsessed with the male characters. The story is horrid.

There is no need for official pairs/shipping, but I guess it happens when fans are passionate about what (or who) they like. It happens in everything. Heck, people ship real life people too. In my opinion, if a story goes on relying just on the fan shipping aspect and doesn't change, people would eventually get bored of it. Example: The US version of The Office. At the start, many were rooting for Jim and Pam to be together. Fast forward a few seasons later,
Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!
and a lot of people complained that they got boring and couldn't stand them together.  :sob: You just can't please everyone.

Offline Jato

• I bug people.....
  • J-Addict
  • Renommée: 83
  • In the loony bin
    • View Profile
Shipping Wars: The maker of popular shows and games or the result?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
Before I begin, I would like to apologize in advance if I have mistakenly misplaced this topic in the wrong section.
To me this is a serious topic of discussion and I couldn't find any other section to categorize it under.

---

We now live in a era that social media and entertainment are one of the most dominant subjects (If not the most dominant)
on the internet.
As a result, we can find things much easier and connect to like minded people than ever before.

Now I admit I do enjoy novels and shows like anybody else and I actively search for say spoilers and release dates and such for my
favorite stories across the vast net ocean of forums, posts and blogs. However what gets to me most (apart from the misleading links and searches, oh and the trolls) are the vast amount of shipping wars or couple pairings spamming unholy amounts of posts and eating up my net usage...

When I am only trying to find that one source of information wedge between two or more individuals arguing and wailing at one another
over who will be or should be "The official" couple or main/true romance to the series even if it has already concluded or yet to be written.

Now there is nothing wrong with having a favorite character(s) to any given median, but is there really a need to pair off individuals
so fiercely?

This seems to be the undeniable trend to any popular and/or long running series in any given format regardless of country of origin, language,
whether it is still in production or has been concluded...

As long as it makes it to a social site, it becomes an active topic of "debate"
HECK, The closest thing to a shipping war in the earlier 90's were what if doujins that hardly ever left the buyers home
or small discussions with close friends.

But this begins to make you wonder...
Why do only the most popular or most stand out titles are targeted by these long drawn out discussions?

Take the most recent shows, novels, games that came out in last 10 or so years

- Twilight

- Avatar: Last Airbender and its successor Legend of Korra

- The Persona series particularly P3 and P4

- To Aru Majutsu no Index and its spin offs

- Naruto

Any of the recent popular manga really,..

The list could go on but I wanna finish this up quick for posting
Each of these examples have long lasting and heated shipping topics pasted all over the net....   

However are these titles only popular by people actually wanting to know the story behind them, or the battle for pairings
that spring up from the characters within??

While Avatar was known to capitalize on the it's fan's shipping wars, but was it popular only for that?
Did it only receive such ratings due to the fan base making the show head towards such an move to keep interest??

While I do believe Avatar did market itself towards what the fan's desired to an extent,... I'll say it was just excuse for
people to go red vs blue and go ballistic with forcing romance onto everything and what should've been a kid show turned into
something else entirely.

I know out there, there are shows/stories that exist to make themselves into shipping war targets for marketing...
But that isn't always the case. Manga titles like One Piece, Fairy Tail and Bleach also receive this as well even when romance isn't of any
focus or contributor to plot at all.

Alas Shipping Wars are a solid cornerstone in our anime/manga net community as well, the evidence in clear with the founding and existence
of site's like FanFiction and DeviantArt showcasing tributes to any particular character pairing possible or impossible to any given title
with one search and a click.

This raises the question for me as I look onto all these hits and topics while looking bleak onto the screen taping my finger in question

Are any of these titles only popular for the story itself or the shipping battle that takes place for them?