Funds $189 | Needed $160
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

125%

Author Topic: One world government: Pro, Cons and How to make it work?  (Read 793 times)

Offline PnCharles92

• PnCharles92
  • J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
One world government Pro Cons and How to make it work
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 05:18:07 AM »
Grim already mentioned this elsewhere.... jeez Brad dont you know how to search???

Offline Nichrome

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
Re: One world government: Pro, Cons and How to make it work?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 06:20:04 AM »
if you were talking about one world government it will be like asking everybody to become chained under one supreme nation or something.
i think the current state of the world is ok, lots of nation that are independent and all that democratic stuff.
it also makes it  easier for the world to be united someday by an emperor or something.

Offline superdragonite64

• the "damnit yet another one" dragon of jcafe
  • J-Legend
  • Renommée: 8
  • I want to drive a fast car but i lack $ & skill
    • View Profile
    • Always in Progress
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
What makes you think that?

Offline Gigasser

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 12:22:16 AM »
Well first of all are we taking technological progression into account, as the up and coming 4th industrial revolution is coming.

Offline azurehyaline

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 46
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
Well, I'll go a bit serious here. I'll try to avoid too thorny issues, but, nonetheless, this stuff is hard to debate.

First thing would be getting people agreeing on something.

I mean, right now, iirc, the UN has 193 recognized countries (or around that number). That is, 193 (at least) different cultures. Do we agree on each country keeping their different culture? OK.

What about human rights? How do we harmonize them? Sure, the Universal Human Rights chart is a start, now, if we only would get people agreeing to it...

Remember that, right now, there are countries that got different standards regarding individual rights (and better not talk about the actual implementation of them, one thing is what is written on a paper and the other the reality). In some, women aren't allowed specific roles, or they are subservient to men and things like that. In others, child labour is allowed.

Now, let's see, what about state intervention? There are some countries that got strong states, without them being dictatorial, that grant their citizens specific rights (such as education, universal healthcare, welfare...). Other countries don't like such interventionism and don't want state controlled (or even regulated in some) services and leave all to private companies (and if you can't afford it, well, life is hard...).

In a more specific level, what would a US citizen say about the Swedish (or Norge) welfare system when they are already fuming over what they call "Obamacare" (while the swedish goes even further)? Or the reverse, a Swedish (in general European) citizen doesn't consider the US healthcare system, based on having an insurance (or that's how we see it, correct me if I'm mistaken) the proper thing to have.

Related to that... what about resources? Can we talk about a World Government when we got people dying from hunger in Africa, or kids having to work in factories in China and India, while we are chatting on a forum in our countries? How would we share all the stuff? Would we want, for example, to sacrifice some of our luxuries (like internet, or anime, lol) so that people in Africa may eat 3 times a day and not die from the smallest disease?

See that some of our wars and politics in those countries are so we can have their resources at a cheap price (that's when we don't put companies there so that we can just take them after bribing a few officials). How do we compensate for that without reducing our welfare levels? Can we do that?

There are a lot of issues here, morality (what's proper and what not, some countries don't want to have anything to say about letting a gay live), rights, politics...

Then, there is representation: is it based on population? Or each country a vote? Would we agree, for example, to have laws that suit higher populated countries when ours might be the richest one? Or when we have different values (imagine China deciding world politics, with their Great Firewall, tho other more "freedom loving" countries have started to imitate them, lol)? See that right now, the UN is pretty much a farce because of those issues.

Man, even something as simple as telling those yanks (and english, and others) to use a proper measure system such as the French International one instead of their Imperial one that multiplies things in 12's and does other strange things could end up bringing 1 or 2 World Wars more.

And of course, making people agree that Hestia is the best grill would be hard too, with all those pettanko lovers that would root for Loki. And better not talk about that kuudere Aiz.

Man, if I was Bell I would be having paizuris fun with Hestia all the day.

BOOBS ARE JUSTICE!! ALL HAIL THE LOLI BOOBED GODDESS!!
:oldman:

No World Government unless everyone agrees on that.

Offline YuutoAmakawa

• J-Addict
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:04:45 AM »
Don't be so sure about that :-) It might take time for others to join in......if they ever decide to join

There are many ways, mate. My preference would be direct democracy, technocracy and a system similar to Starship Trooper's Terran Federation: The higher position you sit, the harsher punishment you'll have.

Offline superdragonite64

• the "damnit yet another one" dragon of jcafe
  • J-Legend
  • Renommée: 8
  • I want to drive a fast car but i lack $ & skill
    • View Profile
    • Always in Progress
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:43:21 AM »
Right well, I guess it's just you and me (pokemon, its my destiny).
The main challenge this kind of government would face is how to allow each country to have some Sort of decision making power without turning the entire situation towards utter chaos. To that end, you know my preferences, an individual or small group with the majority (not necessarily ALL) the power, who presides over everyone else. What gets messy is how the position(s) are passed on.

Offline YuutoAmakawa

• J-Addict
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
One world government: Pro, Cons and How to make it work?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 12:10:17 AM »
Let's just say that I'm being affected by sci-fi works like Star Trek or Starship Troopers, and a bunch of anime/manga

So the topic is quite simple:

_ Let discuss the idea about ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT:

1. PROS: What could be gain from it? (e.i: reduce the constant bickering bullshit between next-door nations...)

2. CONS: Conspiracy shits on the way. What are the limit or negative things could happen?

3. HOW TO MAKE IT WORK: I believe we're in the process to united the whole planet (Information Revolution, anyone?). So what could we do to make it work and not to fall into many dystopia scenes in sci-fi or conspiracy?

The discussion should be clear, details, fair and for fun. NOT a single things from conspiracy, anti-government, blah blah blah...  which always end up with hatress and divided between disagrees should be here. I don't intend to start a fight. I simply wanna start a normal and relax discussion.