Funds $16 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

16%

Author Topic: Physic: Space travel faster than light, possible?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline oldn33t

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Physic: Space travel faster than light, possible?
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »
Standard relativity states that time itself adjusts to account for anything moving at near light speed. This is because light must always travel light speed in the same conditions to everyone observingg it, including the fast moving view.

Look up for twin paradox for a decent explanation on time dialation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucyBMB_PWr8&feature=youtu.be&t=5725

Offline Vyreck

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 05:46:22 AM »
Standard relativity states that time itself adjusts to account for anything moving at near light speed. This is because light must always travel light speed in the same conditions to everyone observingg it, including the fast moving view.

Look up for twin paradox for a decent explanation on time dialation.

Offline Passionpract

• PassionpractVC
  • J-Starter
    • View Profile
Physic Space travel faster than light possible
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 11:46:05 PM »
As someone who is still relatively new to Physics and the world of time and space, I have a question for everyone about the Warp drive and what Dr. White is working on. I have read recently that Dr. White and his team at the Eagle works laboratory have had particles accelerate Faster than light. According to Einsteins theory of relativity the only way to go backwards in time is to go faster than light. Is this now becoming a possible? Sorry for my ignorance on the topic like I said I am new and have a somewhat limited understanding of this subject. Thank you all for your help in advance

Offline Madjclaw

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
Hello!!

Mmm....could it be possible to survive at that speed? Teleportation sounds better for me!

Offline insanheart

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »
Another way that no one has mentioned involves the string theory. It requires that two of these strings  are crossing each other and moving at speeds close to light speed. The gravitational pull of these primordial strings would theoretically be able to slingshot a ship moving at near light speeds to a speed faster than light.

Of course this theory relies on cosmic strings being a reality it is a possibility on faster than light travel.

I read this theory a couple months ago and what I wrote down could be correct or I may have forgotten an important part but that's the main jist of it

Offline argorn405

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »
Travel faster than the speed of light??
Yes, in a hundred years (probably more than 1 or 2 hundred years), when mankind has the technology and the energy to distort space...
-conpress the space in front of the spaceship, and extend it behind
-make a wormhole
-fold space so the departure point and the destination point overlap, then cross from the former to the later

I agree with the compressing space in front and extending it behind it is the only way to truly do it without breaking physics but I will add that this works because you are moving space and not moving the actual object

however I do not consider wormholes to be traveling faster then light I consider them to be very good shortcuts (truthfully wormholes are your last idea where you fold space so where you start and end is the same)

Offline argorn405

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 09:53:17 AM »
I read somewhere that mass is the property of a body to resist a change in velocity.
If a body had negative mass, it should not be able to resist changes in velocity.
Wouldn't this mean that accelerations can occur without any forces at all?
The existence of negative mass breaks physical laws related to forces and energy.
I don't think speeds greater than the speed of light can be achieved.

Based off my understanding of what you said i'm assuming you are going with the formula F=ma and changing the mass to be negative correct?
If we assume the formula is correct and you make the mass negative you wouldn't have no force you would have negative force so instead of going in the direction of acceleration you would go the other direction... now my head is starting to hurt but I can see it as you being pushed away from the earth at 9.81 m/s^2 until you are out of earths gravitational pull.

now then what I think you were referring to was objects with no mass or infinitesimally small mass like a photon

Offline Ugdo

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
I read somewhere that mass is the property of a body to resist a change in velocity.
If a body had negative mass, it should not be able to resist changes in velocity.
Wouldn't this mean that accelerations can occur without any forces at all?
The existence of negative mass breaks physical laws related to forces and energy.
I don't think speeds greater than the speed of light can be achieved.

Offline tonyorobsky

• Expert of the 9 ancestral arts
  • J-Addict
  • Renommée: 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 04:43:10 AM »
Travel faster than the speed of light??
Yes, in a hundred years (probably more than 1 or 2 hundred years), when mankind has the technology and the energy to distort space...
-conpress the space in front of the spaceship, and extend it behind
-make a wormhole
-fold space so the departure point and the destination point overlap, then cross from the former to the later

Offline curser

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
From Einstein "Theory of relativity". E = mc². Because of this equivalence, the energy an object has due to its motion will increase its mass. In other words, the faster an object moves, the greater its mass.

Offline insight096

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 02:44:22 PM »
I really don't know who came up with the idea that as you move at near light speed your mass would approach infinite. I have heard of that aswell but you know, the science of that sounds really fishy and weird if you think about it. I mean why would a object of fixed mass at the beginning of the travel, as it speeds up; gain more and more mass the faster it travels??

I kept thinking of small atom like particles or particles that are smaller that are travelling near light speed growing in size and gaining mass as it speed around in space but I'm not really convinced that there is such a thing. Is the particle gaining mass because it collides with other particles thus gets bigger or what?.

Offline PrincessShandi

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »
Now if I remember if you move at the speed of light your mass would become infinite. I could be wrong, probably am. But I do remember hearing that in order to move an object at the speed of light that object would need to become light as well.

Offline Chutliark

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: -1
  • It only takes a little hug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »
space travel huh? yet wormholes do exist, but the thing is wormholes do exist for a matter of seconds only and then when the time comes it will be gone and will be placed on another place and neither human nor animal can't fit in that tiny dimensional hole.

hmmm.... I was thinking If we could only control gravity (I mean a device that can create and control the gravity not by upward and downward motion but inward and outward gravitational pull) then we could use gravity to hold and make a circular barrier that will forcefully open a new dimension. In this theory I can assumed that this is somewhat kind similar to a black hole.

Offline insight096

• J-Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 02:04:05 AM »
A need of a Sci-fi, yet created - Graviton drive which through the Maninpulation of a controlled electromagnetic graviton warp field encompassing a minature artifically created singularity distorts the space around the ship. The distortion, when carefully directed allows the ship to move through space in it's own space/time gravition field.

They say when you are in your very own space/time gravition bubble, measuring travel speed will be a different thing all together as perception of Time and speed take on a different meaning.

I suspect the funny thing is that creating a 'singularity' may be the easy part. Controlling it will be the deadly part if not the Holy Grail of future quantum sicence. (At least till something better comes up anyway)

Space travel faster than light, possible? I say, as long as there is a future for mankind anything is possible with time. Then again, when you think about it and take eveything around you in consideration with what's happening around the world. We havn't REALLY progressed much have we.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 395
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »
Exotic materials? You mean the likes of antimatter?

Offline Twocat

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
What do you guys think, is it possible or not?

Our equations of spacetime allow for space warping faster than the speed of light, in fact if inflationary models of the universe are to be believed ``faster than light'' warping has already occurred in the past. The only problem is that for us to create a practical warp drive we would need exotic material which is highly unlikely to exist. But perhaps we'll find a novel way in the future.

Reaching faster than light velocities with a continuous process is still impossible as far as we know, but there might be a way to jump over the limit, there are no restrictions of having particles moving faster than light. Please note that warping spacetime faster than light isn't the same as having a velocity that is faster than light.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 07:55:30 AM »
Although I doubt a propellant technology could be used to significantly accelerate objects to even half light speed. The mass would increase millionfold before we even reach 98% of c, not speaking 99%. Remember light travels with c because it has no mass and is pure energy.

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »
Passing light through medium doesnt make it slower but it increases the length because it s simply microreflections.

Offline crazy20164

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:45:35 AM »
It all depends on energy manipulation, maybe we will find and be able to harness the particles or variants thereof to allow us to. Or maybe the answers been there the entire time and we just have no clue to just look up. Traveling faster than C theoretically should be impossible. But if light were passed through a substance it would travel slower and that speed we would be able to pass. Heres the thing with Space, its pretty empty... like the air or the lack of it means theres practically no INERTIA. The only problem would be the equal reaction of the result of propulsion or sustainability of the craft if it uses 99.99% its weight in fuel to accelerate . After hitting this speed a second problem may arise, well unless your not adverse to dying anyhow, how to stop or get off. I think this could be amended with either perfect control over gravity and mass .  After all we did discover the Higgs Boson and who knows maybe the Gravitron will become known sometime in the short future. Until then it is impossible, just like leaving our planet was 100 years ago, i know you want to shoot for the stars but try someplace closer like say the planet next door, we havn't even put a person on mars yet....

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
That or you increase gravity, thus making Our time slower while the resst of universe grows older faster. This is also time travelling. Travelling to the future is no real challenge, but making assumptions from that and sending information back or even travelling back yourself is the real challenge. For that you would need to distort the 4th dimension itself and go to the 5th dimension jn order to really travel freely in time.

Offline QMark

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
In any SR course, you can see there's a way to travel into the future, just by going really fast. How fast? any velocity compared to speed of light will do it, but it's not like in a sci-fi movie.

SR:special relativity

Offline Lsshin

• don't touch my cookies!!!
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Regular
  • Renommée: 6
  • farewell my creapy avatar XD
    • View Profile
    • ..::OC-Scans::..
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »
first for it to be dream able we must create energy out of thin air much like the Taurus system in which i strongly be leave in, but that wont happen with all the oil corporations running the planet, once we are able to free ourselves from oil dependency, im sure wrapping time is possible, only time will tell, and im afraid neither of us will be alive to witness that day =(

Offline rockethole

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
Physic: Space travel faster than light, possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:12:43 AM »
NASA Scientist Says Warp Drive is Doable

This physics video is about space travel faster than light if negative mass exist.
What do you guys think, is it possible or not?