Funds $17 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

16%

Author Topic: THANK YOU POSTS  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
  • Renommée: 5234
    • View Profile
Re: THANK YOU POSTS
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 06:02:37 PM »
Those posts are annoying sometimes, because most of the time the posters could find out that information themselves before having to post.
But they really aren't as bad as thank you posts. I've been deleting a few thank you posts a day ever since I made this sticky. All the while, I don't think I've seen a 'when is the next chapter' post in quite some time. Most of the time I just tell people to be patient anyway, or ignore the post altogether.

As for the warn system, it is a bit annoying. I got silv to change it last year, because you could only raise a user's warning level by 4% per day.
I'll contact him about possibly changing that.

Offline Tamorlin

• J-Addict
  • Renommée: 241
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
I agree that the "next chapter" posts aren't as big of an issue. I think "thank you" posts outnumber them like 20:1. You usually don't get 5 "next chapter" posts in a row, but that is common with thank yous.

my take on this is that both are annoying and should be prevented if possible. maybe they'll update the forum's system to make permanent warnings and bans possible. maybe we should consult silv about this?

Offline Leebo

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
I agree that the "next chapter" posts aren't as big of an issue. I think "thank you" posts outnumber them like 20:1. You usually don't get 5 "next chapter" posts in a row, but that is common with thank yous.

Offline Tamorlin

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
The thank you posts were getting way out of hand. Something needed to be done.
As for posts like, 'when is the new chapter?', they can get annoying sometimes. The thing is though, not everyone is as informed some others may be, so there isn't really a problem with them most of the time.

those requests asking for new chapters are still annoying in most cases since people don't tend to look at older posts but only at the last. if they did, they would have noticed the regular uploading intervals and could determine themselves when the next chapter is coming out. there are really very few topics, at least here in the winny club, which aren't updated on a regular basis. mainly because of you and darkdoom for getting all those mags. thank you both for that.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 07:05:25 PM »
The thank you posts were getting way out of hand. Something needed to be done.
As for posts like, 'when is the new chapter?', they can get annoying sometimes. The thing is though, not everyone is as informed some others may be, so there isn't really a problem with them most of the time.

Offline seji

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 06:55:11 PM »
THANK YOU for trying to put a stop to this. It's so annoying whenever I see a post bumped only to see it's a "Thank You" or a "Next chapter when???".

Nothing has been done about the latter but at least the former has been taking care of...

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 04:18:55 AM »
That is definitely one of the main reasons. You're really hanging out for an update, and then someone posts a Thank You.

I might experiment with the topic title. I haven't yet tried bb code in the actual title of a thread yet, though I doubt it would work.
But also, thank to you and Tamorlin. Discussion and replies often attract more attention to a thread.

Edit: No shit bb code doesn't work in topic titles.

Offline Leebo

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 03:55:05 AM »
Thank you! ;)

But seriously, it's really annoying to see a series get bumped up, and you think it's a new chapter, and it's just someone thanking the uploader from 3 weeks ago.

And yeah, I can guarantee that the sticky will be ignored. The fact that the stickies are a different color and format makes it very easy for your brain to just see that whole area as a block of unimportant blank space.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:28:40 AM »
When I first signed on as a mod, nearly two years back, I had a mind to police all the pointless thank you posts, (just the simple spam ones.) I never really got around to it though.
Recently, a few active uploaders, you in particular, expressed annoyance at the trend. That kind of emboldened me to create this sticky.

Anyway, as far as warnings and mutings go, the new forum system makes it so that they are only extremely temporary. Warnings are reduced automatically by 5% each day. So it's kind of pointless really. I may have to look into getting that changed, so that warning levels are permanent, with the option of automatic reduction.

And as for the placement of stickies, I have come to realize that people either dismiss the importance of stickies, or just miss them for whatever reason, despite their very convenient placement up the top of any board.
Placing it up the top of regular topics, just below stickies, is impossible, unless it was bumped at regular intervals, to maintain it's position, but that seems kind of silly.
So instead, for repeat offenders, I'll quote their post and direct them to the new sticky, followed by said post deletion.

Offline Tamorlin

• J-Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 02:17:00 AM »
nice to see that this hasn't gone unnoticed. good first step indeed!

but maybe you should also dish out warnings like rene did back in the day in case of some heavy offenders. i think at 75 % warning level they won't be able to post anymore.

also another thing: i don't think those stickies are all that noticeable here. can't you put this topic on top of all upload topics? and in a way that it stays as first topic? then many more people would be able to see this.

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
    • View Profile
THANK YOU POSTS
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »
Various active uploaders as well as regular members, have recently complained, and rightfully so, about the abundant 'Thank You' posts.

The Renommée System exists for a reason. Use it. Stop needlessly bumping threads with posts like "Thanks", "TY", "Thanks" followed by a random emoticon. If you have any sort of sense, you should be able to distinguish the difference between a thank you spam post, and an acceptable post.

From now on, I will delete most thank you posts, if they are anything like the aforementioned examples.

P.S. Don't let this deter you from expressing your gratitude in posts, this sticky is directed more so at the members who neglect the Renommée system entirely, and only ever contribute thank you posts to threads. Just keep doing what you are doing, and if you find that your posts haven't been deleted, then there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.