Funds $5 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

5%

Author Topic: Your favorite childhood book(s)  (Read 18347 times)

Offline dawANGEL

• Ольга Осипова
  • J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
    • Регистрация антиспам
Your favorite childhood books
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
What are some of your favorite parks in the city?

Offline curser

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite childhood book(s)
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
Well, if it's the first book (or rather something of similar nature) then that would be "Grimms' Fairy Tales" (read age 3-5), although when I think of a book from my childhood it always is a first 'real' book I read and that was 'Monument' by Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Quite a good, light sf story, although I may be bias.

Offline Ipepeytsu10

• J-Starter
  • Starry Sky is the best view ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
I read Alice n' wonderland and book like princess love story ♥

Offline zaregoto

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »
harry potter book 1

Offline Storm4991

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
My favorite and probably only real childhood book is "de monster van frankenzwein" of Marc de Bel (i'm live in belgium so the book is in dutch). If I would translate it to english it would say 'the monster of frankenzwein." Basicly it's about, you guessd it, frankenstein pigs. I really love the book and it really made me read alot more. But most children books wasn't made for me so i started reading adult books at the age of 12 (i think so, can't be sure it's along time ago) hence the only part

Offline mangosmanga

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »
A book called Dragon's plunder by Brad Strickland. It has a nice twist ending that I enjoyed.

Offline artemisdark

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2014, 09:31:08 AM »
When I was little, I loved the books "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats and "Is Your Mama a Llama?" by Deborah Guarino.

Offline Zena04

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2013, 07:50:05 AM »
Roald Dahl's Charlie and The Chocolate Factory :D

Offline SinisterRogue

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2013, 01:15:41 AM »
I remember my first book was My Side of the Mountain which was originally a book I had assigned to me for a school report in the 1st grade. It's what got me really into reading because I hated that stuff when I was a kid. After that, I just devoured books. My childhood favorites were the Xanth books, starting with A Spell for Chameleon.

Offline Nanobiter

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2013, 02:16:27 PM »
The teacher from the black lagoon. Nightmare material.

Offline Yue Hikari

• J-Lunatic
  • J-Legend
  • Renommée: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »
The Wind in the Willows! How could I forget about it?!

Offline `Rem

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 02:26:05 AM »
Most of Dr Seuss' works. I loved Cat in the Hat and the Lorax especially.
his illustration style just amuses me. I love him more now because of my love for design

Offline Yue Hikari

• J-Lunatic
  • J-Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 03:52:34 AM »
Uh, I forgot Rohal Dahl's books and the ones by Diana Wynne Jones! I loved them.

Offline Nadeshiko

• J-Puppy + J-Maid + J-Sadist + Otome Gamer
  • Gold Dragon
  • Renommée: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2012, 10:08:37 AM »
Ella Enchanted, Too Much Alike, Magic Tree House and a bunch of other stuff.

Offline MaaKaichou

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2012, 04:44:08 AM »
Mine goes to Dr. Seuss's The Cat in the Hat. I remembered in my childhood that I really liked the book that much that I always scribbled every page with crayons illustrating a cat looked like a stickman. Memories...

Offline Yue Hikari

• J-Lunatic
  • J-Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »
Quote (selected)
Le Petit Prince prolly doesn't count, since even though it's a children's book I didn't read it until recently...
When I read for the first time Le Petit Prince I was already 9-10 so I really don't count it as a childhood book either but I really liked it and reread it many times at different ages. I think it's a good book.

Offline azzie

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 03:53:26 AM »
Le Petit Prince prolly doesn't count, since even though it's a children's book I didn't read it until recently...

Otherwise... I loved Poppy by Avi, and the Bunnicula books. =v=
And I also liked Captain Underpants a lot! xD

Offline Entmore

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »
I'm not sure if you could call it a book, but I loved to read Captain Underpants when I was a kid. I also liked to read Harry Potter. The first few books were children's books, and the later books pretty much grew alongside me.

Offline timeforplanB

• J-Highlander
  • Renommée: 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
i've been a big reader since the age of three, and there had been so many books that have come and gone my way (most of them trivia related and whatnot) but my favorite has always been the Goosebumps books. it may be kind of a weird choice for childhood book favorite but i love it. maybe it's my fascination for mysterious things and non-existent creatures that made Goosebumps a favorite.

Offline Yue Hikari

• J-Lunatic
  • J-Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 07:05:12 AM »
Well, I think they were:
1-a huge book of short stories about a 3 siblings that passed the days imagining all sort of things like dragons, castles, UFO and space-ships to pass time, I don't exactly recall the title
2-Alice in Wonderland
3- The Wizard of Oz (I clearly remember that I actually forced my mother to read it to me as bed-time story until I finally learnt to read by myself...xD)

Offline Aletheia

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Nancy Drew XD after i got interested in the series, my family gave the books to me as birthday and christmas presents a few years after.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Nancy Drew! That was definitely one of my favorite series as a kid, and probably the main reason I still love mysteries. XD

Offline chelly1107

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:48 AM »
Nancy Drew XD after i got interested in the series, my family gave the books to me as birthday and christmas presents a few years after.

Offline Aletheia

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
Oh man! Too many... and I still read children's books. =P But let's stick to the ones I really remember.

Alice in Wonderland, definitely. When I was probably around 7 or 8, my grandma gave me her copy, which her father had actually given to her when she was nine years old. =O It's still one of my favorite books, which is why people quickly learn never to mention Tim Burton around me. >_>

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Again, still some of my favorite books. And in this case, I am actually a HUGE fan of the film versions.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I probably should not have read until I was in my teens, but blame my brother for that one. XD

The original Sherlock Holmes stories. Again, I actually, surprisingly, liked the recent film adaptation. =O

Robin Hood. I don't remember what version I read, but it was old, and I loved it. Same with King Arthur, although I'm pretty sure the one I read was King Arthur and the Knights of his Court, adapted from Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur.

The Anne of Green Gables series.

Oh! The Little House on the Prairie series. My dad read that to me while I was in the hospital when I was very young.

The Westing Game. I loved that book so, SO much.

And Harry Potter! Who could forget Harry Potter? I read the first four books (that is, the good ones =P) when I was around 10, and actually only finished the series a couple years ago.

Offline nocturne

• stark-raving mad
  • J-Hero
  • Renommée: 16
  • Personal remarks are rude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »
 :corner: did someone say the little prince? that's my favorite book! but i only got to read it when i was already an adult so i don't think that would qualify for my answer ^^

so i'd have to say dinosaur books! i had a lot of them when i was a kid. with full colored and glossy pages too. i can still remember my eyes going wide with delight when my aunt gave them to me. i think i was 5 then  :loli:

Offline shinyfoil

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
My mother read to me a lot when I was a child; Dr. Seuss, Roald Dahl's children's stories, Gulliver's Travels and all kinds of stories from Greek mythology. My favorite books, however, were Mark Twain's Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

Offline Crenshi

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 02:53:08 PM »
What, no love for The Little Prince? That book is very much responsible for who I have become. Though it's probably unfair to blame Saint-Exupery for that.

Offline alias1101

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 11:50:38 PM »
I really loved and still regularly read many of Robert A Heinlein's books, such as "The Puppet Masters", "Have Space Suit - Will Travel", "The Sixth Column", "Farmer in the Sky", "Tunnel in the Sky", etc.

If I really had to choose one though I think it would be "The Puppet Masters", which I read at a much younger age than for which it is likely intended (I read the re-released, uncut version that was published in 1990).

Offline syllabus

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
"J.T." or "J.T. and the Alley Cat" by Jane Wagner.  There was already a movie out for it but I've never seen it.  Scarred me when I was young but I've never forgotten about it.  Hmm... it's no wonder my other favorite book is "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson. I felt betrayed as a kid, "Why would they let children read this?"

Offline Softzephyr

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 12:57:45 AM »
Lolita.

... oh wait

Offline MoistNugget

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 08:54:38 AM »
My favorite book growing up was Folk Tales From Russia by Mark Vatagin.  My dad bought it in Moscow, which is where it was published, so it was pretty legit.  My favorite stories were the Tuvan folktales about the orphan boy Oskus-Ool.  He was something of a Tuvan folk hero, so there are quite a few stories about him.  He was kind of like the Tuvan Tom Sawyer, only if Tom Sawyer was good at chess and ran around beheading corrupt Khans.