Funds $0 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

0%

Author Topic: WARNING: DO NOT USE MEGA.CO.NZ !!!  (Read 10036 times)

Offline vix

• J-Recruit
  • Renommée: 13
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING: DO NOT USE MEGA.CO.NZ !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »
Wow, I did not know this but on one side it was easy to imagine that something like this could happen however now i am glad with myself for choosing Mf instead of Mega lol

Offline youknowwhyiamhere

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 10:57:54 AM »
Huh, well, now I'm kind of glad my upload attempt to MEGA stalled enough times for me to ragequit and try another site.

Offline azurehyaline

• J-Regular
  • Renommée: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »
Here is more info about it:

https://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcom-mega-trade-barbs-over-hostile-takeover-claims-150731/

First, those shares were seized almost one year ago. So yeah, the NZ government has been "controlling" mega shares for roughly a year. I'd say they don't control them (as in use them), they just freeze them and later on, they would auction them or something like that.

The thing is that there are more investors than just KD/his family trust fund, and he didn't own the majority of shares.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11496763

See, this is recent. Now, 2 chinese people (not the one that had his shares seized) own the majority of Mega. Shares are now like this:

• Li Zhi Min (bought the shares from Shen Zao Wu) 43%
  • Yang Jhiangong (new investor) 24%
  • Asia Agcaoili (the wife of Bram van der Kolk, Mega's chief programmer) 6.9%
  • Mona (Dotcom's wife) 6.8% - seized by Hollywood? not sure
  • TEY (Yan's trustee fund, the one who laundered money) had a 16% before, now has 2.4% - seized by NZ government

I'm not sure, but I'd say that Mega has been a come-and-go of investors since it started, considering the people that are investing. And also, this capital extension just dilluted the shares that were "seized".

Still, if you feel paranoid, you can still use Mega. Just do it behind a VPN/proxy/TOR so that the IP logged isn't yours.

Also, don't think it's that easy to just set a honeypot. I mean, sure, you log a lot of IPs... and? Are you doing it legally? Do you have judicial clearance to do so?

One thing is the "six strikes" scheme that is using a public network (Bitttorrent) that logs all the IPs connected and after that, they just send the IP to the ISPs and the ISPs take care of the rest, with the option of going to a court to sue specific uploaders (but you need a subpoena to get the customers' data).

Another thing is getting IPs illegally from a private service, that isn't supposed to turn out your IP to a third party unless specifically being requested by a court/authorities and using it to sue people.

It's a completely different legal battle that one, as we are entering into privacy and other grounds that may get the case pretty murky.

Also, another thing: if they wanted to they could sue a ton of people when they raided Megaupload. They had all the info there, files, uploads and prolly their IPs too.

So yeah, I'd say that Mega is as trusty as it was before: zero, lol. See that in their ToS they already have the policy (had it since January 2013, it seems) to give your data to authorities if requested and such. Authorities, not MPAA. 

Still, I agree with silverado to use other services too, not only mega (and not only DDLs, I'd say). It's never good to put all your eggs in the same basket, they say.

After that discussion with an user, I'm thinking on turning to PD too. If I win over lazynesssssssss...

Offline slash2000

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »
So will there any other cloud can be trusted?

Mega did said it will be safe all the time

Now it said it has been taken control by a goverment? :upyours:

Offline Lincoln

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:02:29 AM »
Well thanks for the info.

Offline ivan121998

• J-Member
  • Renommée: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:08:02 AM »
thanks for the info

Offline Miguelostos

• Global Moderator
  • Silver Dragon
  • Renommée: 5259
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:15 AM »
Stickied. Unstickied, people don't really pay stickies a lot of attention.
Apart from that, good info silv, +ren.

Edit: What is going on with this topic? It said you stickied it twice, but the topic wasn't stickied when I read it...

Offline silverado

• Administrator
  • J-Titan
  • Renommée: 400
    • View Profile
    • Manga Underground
WARNING: DO NOT USE MEGA.CO.NZ !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:41:50 AM »
Hi guys,

silverado here. I got news:

mega.co.nz is now officially under control of the New Zealand government

and is NO MORE RELIABLE as a file host.

Any upload to mega.co.nz CAN and

WILL be recorded by IP and probably prosecuted.

You can use mega.co.nz as a mirror link,

but do NOT use it as a primary upload site!