Funds $5 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

6%

Author Topic: The Heart of Martial Arts  (Read 55967 times)

Offline mrasian

• MU-Team
  • J-Recruit
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Arts Club!
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2008, 08:37:48 AM »
have anyone seen the sword of the stranger?? i thought that was one of most well written samurai movies.  i just love that authentic japanese style movies where they have detailed story telling. using some small fight scenes and tension throughout the story to question the antagonists fighting ability. finishing the story with but kicking fighting scene.

all i got to say is class just classy :banzai:
 Wrong topic, wrong section.

wathiroth

« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2008, 11:29:57 PM »
He doesn't have many good movies. I'd say the good ones are The Warlords, Hero and Fearless. Though most Chinese didn't like Fearless, because it wasn't the real story.

Offline JustMax

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2008, 03:48:46 AM »
IMO Jet Li's best movie is Hero. That movie is just beyond awesome :banzai:

EDIT: Meant to say... BEST MOVIE EVER is Hero :yay:

wathiroth

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
I've seen some people doing Zuiquan. I like more Bajiquan, Piaguaquan, Tanglangquan, Xingyiquan, Chen Taijiquan etc.

One of the best Kung Fu movies for fights is Fearless, and the story is good, but it's not the real story of Huo Yuanjia. Jet Li's best film is The Warlords. Jackie Chan is comedy star, I don't really like comedy.

Offline JustMax

• J-Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »
Anyone else watch Kung Fu movies? Jackie Chan's  "Drunken Master" is really good. Anyone ever see someone doing Drunken master/boxing?

wathiroth

« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2008, 06:26:42 AM »
I don't care about the word, and I have no reason to argue about it. But "martial arts" mean martial arts, not combat sports or self defence styles.

Offline JustMax

• J-Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2008, 05:02:50 AM »
Martial arts and sports are two different things.

I guess you really like to argue about "what's the true meaning of the word". I'm really in no mood to start discussing this matter with you, so let's say you're right :yay:

wathiroth

« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2008, 04:59:19 AM »
Martial arts just seem like a very natural sport to me.
Martial arts and sports are two different things.

Offline JustMax

• J-Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2008, 04:28:13 AM »
From an interview with a sifu who teaches Gongliquan, Fanziquan, Chaquan etc.
Also - added.

:XD: Well that's not the reason I started martial arts, that's just the main reason martial arts were invented. Martial arts just seem like a very natural sport to me.

wathiroth

« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2008, 02:43:56 AM »
To beat people.
From an interview with a sifu who teaches Gongliquan, Fanziquan, Chaquan etc.
Quote (selected)
What made you start wushu?
I wanted to be able to beat people up.

Like who?
Other kids!

Also - added.

Offline JustMax

• J-Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2008, 01:40:39 AM »
Hi. Joining now.

* Why do you wanna join? Practiced martial arts my whole life

* Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons?) Yes. Karate, Thai Boxing and Kobudo

* What’s your favourite style and weapon? Well my Karate style is Wado-Ryu. Odachi's my favorite weapon tied close to a normal Katana.

* What do you think is true purpose of martial arts? What else. To beat people. Though I do not approve of violence against other people, logically thinking, there's nothing fancy like achieving enlightenment by learning moves that can kill a person.

IMO a person shouldn't be bound to one style, but make it his own. For instance, I don't practice Karate or TB the traditional way, I'm making them my own style, combining them both and adding my personal preferences.

wathiroth

« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2008, 09:02:33 PM »
What style(s) do you practice?

Offline matenwego

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2008, 08:02:39 PM »
    * Why do you wanna join? I enjoy knowing more information on martial arts in general

* Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons?) No, but I do want to in the future

* What’s your favourite style and weapon? Don't have a favorite style, weapon wise I enjoy swords from broad to scimitars.

* What do you think is true purpose of martial arts? To attain self awareness and focus, but that is what I think

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
  • Renommée: 152
  • Bad habits always pay off in the long run
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction For the Masses
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2008, 08:06:19 PM »
What I'm saying is that there's styles that are called "self-defence styles" like Krav Maga. Also "hand to hand combat", used by military. That's not martial arts. And when I said that strikes and kicks doesn't make it martial art, I meant that not everything that has strikes and stuff is martial arts, it takes more than just that. And it's not that martial arts teach "self defence", but it's up to you for what purpose you use it. Sports are sports, and self-defence styles teach you how to protect yourself. Martial arts are not sports. There's even martial arts, that doesn't even teach you to make any kind of contact with your opponent, but if you learn it you can still use it for fighting.

What I'm saying is that there's styles that are called "self-defence styles" like Krav Maga. Also "hand to hand combat", used by military.That's not martial arts.<-- i guess its not.

And when I said that strikes and kicks doesn't make it martial art, I meant that not everything that has strikes and stuff is martial arts, it takes more than just that.<-- No arguments there.

And it's not that martial arts teach "self defence", but it's up to you for what purpose you use it. <-- i think i mentioned that.

Sports are sports, and self-defence styles teach you how to protect yourself.<-- really -_-

Martial arts are not sports.<-- martial arts are a discipline.

There's even martial arts, that doesn't even teach you to make any kind of contact with your opponent, but if you learn it you can still use it for fighting.<--yup.

wathiroth

« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2008, 01:09:29 AM »
Self-defence isn't martial arts. <-- i never said it was, just that its a part of them.
What I'm saying is that there's styles that are called "self-defence styles" like Krav Maga. Also "hand to hand combat", used by military. That's not martial arts. And when I said that strikes and kicks doesn't make it martial art, I meant that not everything that has strikes and stuff is martial arts, it takes more than just that. And it's not that martial arts teach "self defence", but it's up to you for what purpose you use it. Sports are sports, and self-defence styles teach you how to protect yourself. Martial arts are not sports. There's even martial arts, that doesn't even teach you to make any kind of contact with your opponent, but if you learn it you can still use it for fighting.

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »
The question isn't what's the meaning of the word. The question is what's the meaning of martial arts. And if it includes punching and/or kicking doesn't make it martial art. Self-defence isn't martial arts. It doesn't matter what "martial art" means, but what are those martial arts.

Between a migraine and a hangover my minds having trouble with this today. so bear with this

The question isn't what's the meaning of the word.<-- Understand

The question is what's the meaning of martial arts.<-- i believe the meaning of martial arts is as varied as those who practice it.

And if it includes punching and/or kicking doesn't make it martial art. <-- i'm not really sure why that would effect it at all, different styles call for different types of strikes.

Self-defence isn't martial arts. <-- i never said it was, just that its a part of them.

It doesn't matter what "martial art" means, but what are those martial arts.<--what?

wathiroth

« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2008, 10:55:43 PM »
The question isn't what's the meaning of the word. The question is what's the meaning of martial arts. And if it includes punching and/or kicking doesn't make it martial art. Self-defence isn't martial arts. It doesn't matter what "martial art" means, but what are those martial arts.

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »
It's an English term. English language is stupid, and it doesn't matter what they mean. But self-defence is self-defence, it's not martial arts. Of course in martial arts you learn how to defend yourself. Self-defence styles are Krav Maga etc. Combat Sports are Taekwondo, Judo, Boxing etc. I wouldn't call wrestling combat.

if its an English term and English is a stupid language(which despite it being native to me i have to agree) then why should it matter to you if anything is a martial art or not? just a question.

Aside from that, The Israeli one is most decidedly self defense. all i'm saying is that there are martial arts styles that are in themselves self defense. I'm not saying that martial arts = self defense or anything like that, just that they are often very much linked.

Also defense v defence...i had to look that up on wiki.... right both ways depending on which country your in...

Must be off i have to upload some stuff to Piratebay before breakfast...

wathiroth

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »
It's an English term. English language is stupid, and it doesn't matter what they mean. But self-defence is self-defence, it's not martial arts. Of course in martial arts you learn how to defend yourself. Self-defence styles are Krav Maga etc. Combat Sports are Taekwondo, Judo, Boxing etc. I wouldn't call wrestling combat.

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
Self-Defence styles aren't martial art. I myself wouldn't call combat sports martial arts either.

How long have you practiced Kendo? How much have you used bokken? Ever used iaito or katana?

ADDED.

i think self-defense can be a martial art. what exactly is the definition of martial art after all? to quote wikipedia(god only knows how good an idea that is...)

"The word 'martial' derives from the name of Mars, the Roman god of war. The term 'Martial Arts' literally means arts of war. This term comes from 15th century Europeans who were referring to their own fighting arts that are today known as Historical European martial arts. A practitioner of martial arts is referred to as a martial artist."

So the arts of war, which in reality is attack AND defense. i guess its all a matter of perspective but for me i think it is. Also Combat sports, what exactly do you define as combat sports? fencing? boxing? wrestling?

to answer your questions a few years now, around 4. While i own a couple katanas i've never practiced or performed with them. Bokkens on the other hand i have a few times.

wathiroth

« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »
Self-Defence styles aren't martial art. I myself wouldn't call combat sports martial arts either.

How long have you practiced Kendo? How much have you used bokken? Ever used iaito or katana?

ADDED.

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2008, 08:22:26 PM »
    * Why do you wanna join?
                 Because it exists and i can....

* Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons?)
              Yes, Kendo mostly, though i havnt had the time lately to get to many practices...

* What’s your favorite style and weapon?
            Kendo and Shinai respectively.
    * What do you think is true purpose of martial arts?
                I Guess really that depends on the style...While most are based on self defense or defending others, some are more violent. as to the True purpose...unless you can go back and ask the founders/creators of each of the forms and styles, i dont think you can really know for sure...

wathiroth

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »
Joe added. G-Man will be added after he answers the questions.

G-Man

Offline dman20051

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »
i like to join as well !! :)

Offline Joe_the_sexy_one

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2008, 12:20:31 AM »
isn't it a style?
oh well then i'd say BJJ then

wathiroth

« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2008, 03:50:17 AM »
Grappling isn't martial arts.

Offline Joe_the_sexy_one

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »
I'm not talking about that, I mean the normal training. I just wanted to know if they got some better training methods than me. And in the question there was what's your favorite style and weapon.

oh oh sorry.. i like grappling more then anything else

wathiroth

« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2008, 04:38:05 AM »
I'm not talking about that, I mean the normal training. I just wanted to know if they got some better training methods than me. And in the question there was what's your favorite style and weapon.

Offline Joe_the_sexy_one

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Arts Manga
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2008, 01:33:28 PM »
Answer these question, if you wanna join (plz submit request via reply or via pm to me):

Why do you wanna join? i've always been fascinated with the different forms of martial arts.

Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons)? i don't think boxing counts but i'm did muay thai and currently i'm training in brazilian jiu-jitsu.

What’s your favourite style and weapon? i've never tried fighting with a weapon.. the closest thing would probably be paint ball (if you consider the paint ball gun a weapon)

What do you think is true purpose of martial arts? i think its a form of expression and self discovery.. like how much do you know about yourself if you haven't been in a fight..

Posted on: September 06, 2008, 09:21:57 pm

Oh yeah. How do you make your wrists and other joints stronger, since you do all kinds of locks and stuff? Mine used to be in really bad shape, and they're still not probably healed.

try taking glucosamine + MSM pills.. worked for my knee

wathiroth

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
What does a big island in Hawaii have to do with either my posts or martial arts O_o
no, we don't have it on this island 
What island might that be?
i live on the big island in the state of hawaii

Offline seriphin

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2008, 05:41:57 PM »

What does a big island in Hawaii have to do with either my posts or martial arts O_o

wathiroth

« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2008, 06:40:23 AM »
I'm glad I don't have to live in Hawaii...

Offline bigilandboi

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2008, 05:42:25 AM »

wathiroth

« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:56 AM »
Bleh, I need to make another martial arts info...

Offline seriphin

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »
Yes the one and only =)

wathiroth

« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »
Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu? Masaki Hatsumi style.

Offline seriphin

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »
I study Bujinkan Ninjitsu =)

wathiroth

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2008, 05:36:14 AM »
What martial arts do you practice?

Offline seriphin

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2008, 04:03:21 AM »
Ohh I would like to join this club too =)

wathiroth

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2008, 03:10:42 AM »
What island might that be?

Offline bigilandboi

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2008, 02:13:29 AM »
no, we don't have it on this island 

wathiroth

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2008, 01:45:27 AM »
Hmm... Baguazhang, circle walking xD

Bagua is nice. Don't you have it in your area? Are you planning on training it in the future?

Offline bigilandboi

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »
Answer these question, if you wanna join (plz submit request via reply or via pm to me):

Why do you wanna join? i've always liked martial arts and their amazing insight into the human anatomy.

Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons)? yes, im currently learing muay thai and brazilian jiu-jitsu.

What’s your favourite style and weapon? it'd baguazhang and sorry fists only.

What do you think is true purpose of martial arts? i have two ideas 1.for the weak to defend against strongger or multiple enemies.
                                                                                          2.to better understand ones body and a way of destroying others.

wathiroth

Tanglangquan
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2008, 12:28:37 AM »
Tang Lang Quan

Northern Praying Mantis (Chinese: 螳螂拳; pinyin: tánglángquán; literally "praying mantis fist") is a style of Chinese martial arts, sometimes called Shandong Praying Mantis after its province of origin. It was created by Wang Lang (王朗) and was named after the praying mantis, an insect, the aggressiveness of which inspired the style. One Mantis legend places the creation of the style in the Song Dynasty when Wang Lang was supposedly one of 18 masters gathered by the Abbot Fu Ju (福居), a legendary persona of the historical Abbot Fu Yu (福裕) (1203-1275), to improve Shaolin martial arts. However, most legends place Wang Lang in the late Ming Dynasty.

Features
The mantis is a long and narrow predatory insect. While heavily armoured, it is not built to withstand forces from perpendicular directions. Consequently, its fighting style involves the use of whip-like/circular motions to deflect direct attacks, which it follows up with precise attacks to the opponent's vital spots. These traits have been subsumed into the Northern Praying Mantis style, under the rubric of "removing something" (blocking to create a gap) and "adding something" (rapid attack).

One of the most distinctive features of Northern Praying Mantis is the "praying mantis hook" (螳螂勾; pinyin: tángláng gōu): a hook made of one to three fingers directing force in a whip-like manner. The hook may be used to divert force (blocking) or to attack critical spots (eyes or acupuncture points). These are particularly useful in combination, for example using the force imparted from a block to power an attack. So if the enemy punches with the right hand, a Northern Praying Mantis practitioner might hook outwards with the left hand (shifting the body to the left) and use the turning force to attack the enemy's neck with a right hook. Alternately, he/she might divert downwards with the left hook and rebound with the left wrist stump to jaw/nose/throat.

Northern Praying Mantis is especially famous for its speed and continuous attacks. Another prominent feature of the style is its complex footwork, borrowed from Monkey Kung Fu.

Origins

There are many legends surrounding the creation of Northern Praying Mantis boxing. One legend attributes the creation of Mantis fist to the Song Dynasty when Abbot Fu Ju (福居), a legendary persona of the historical Abbot Fu Yu (福裕) (1203-1275), supposedly invited Wang Lang (王朗) and seventeen other masters to come and improve the martial arts of Shaolin. The Abbot recorded all of the techniques in a manual called the Mishou (祕手 – "Secret Hands") and later passed it onto the Taoist priest Shen Xiao. This manual supposedly disappeared until the Qianlong reign era when it was published under the name "Arhat exercising merit short strike illustrated manuscript" (Chinese: 罗汉行功短打; pinyin: Luóhàn Xínggōng Duǎn Dǎ). Some sources place the folk manuscript's publication on the "sixteenth day of the third month of the spring of 1794". The manual records Wang Lang "absorbed and equalized all previous techniques" learned from the 17 other masters.

The 18 Masters Invited to Shaolin
1. Chang Quan - Long-range Boxing - Emperor Taizu
2. Tongbei - Through the Back - Han Tong
3. Chan Feng - Wrap Around and Seal - Zhang En
4. Duanda - Close-range Strikes - Ma Ji
5. Keshou Tongquan - Blocking Hands and Following Through Fist - Jin Xiang
6. Gou Lou Cai Shou - Hooking, Scooping and Grabbing Hands - Liu Xing
7. Zhanna Diefa - Methods of Sticking, Grabbing, and Falling - Yan Qing
8. Duan Quan - Short Boxing - Wen Yuan
9. Hou Quan - Monkey Boxing - Sun Heng
10. Mien Quan - Cotton Fist - Mien Shen
11. Shuailue Yingbeng - Throwing-Grabbing and Hard Crashing - Huai De
12. Gunlou Guaner - Ducking, Leaking and Passing through the Ears - Tan Fang
13. Yuanyang Jiao - Mandarin ducks kicking technique - Lin Chong
14. Qishi Lianquan - Seven Postures of Continuous Fist Strikes - Meng Su
15. Kunlu Zhenru - Hand Binding and Grabbing - Yang Gun
16. Woli Paochui - Explosive Strikes into the Hollow Body Parts - Cui Lian
17. Kao Shou - Close Range Hand Techniques - Huang You
18. Tanglang - Praying Mantis - Wang Lang

A third of the masters listed all come from fictional novels. Yan Qing (#7) and Lin Chong (#13) come from the Water Margin and Emperor Taizu (#1), Han Tong (#2), Zhang En (#3) and Huai De (#11) come from the Fei Long Quan Zhuan (飞龙全传 – “The Complete Flying Dragon Biography”), which was published prior to the aforementioned manual.

Another legend connected to the Song Dynasty states Wang Lang participated in a Lei tai contest in the capital city of Kaifeng and was defeated by General Han Tong (韩通), the founder of Tongbeiquan. After leaving the fighting arena, he saw a brave praying mantis attacking the wheels of oncoming carts with its "broadsword-like" arms, Mantis fist was born shortly thereafter. However, most legends place Wang Ming living in the late Ming Dynasty.

Connection with General Yue Fei

As previously stated, the Water Margin bandits Lin Chong and Yan Qing, the adopted of Lu Junyi, are said to be part of the 18 masters supposedly invited to Shaolin by the legendary Abbot Fuju. According to the folklore biography of Song Dynasty General Yue Fei, Lin and Lu were former students of Zhou Tong, the general’s military arts teacher. One martial legend states Zhou learned Chuojiao boxing from its originator Deng Liang (邓良) and then passed it onto Yue Fei. Chuojiao is also known as the "Water Margin Outlaw style" and "Mandarin Duck Leg" (Chinese: 鴛鴦腿; pinyin: Yuānyāng Tuǐ). In the Water Margin's twenty-ninth chapter, entitled "Wu Song, Drunk, Beats Jiang the Gate Guard Giant", it mentions Wu Song, another of Zhou's fictional students, using the "Jade Circle-Steps with Duck and Drake feet". Lin Chong is listed above as being a master of "Mandarin ducks kicking technique".

Lineage Mantis Master Yuen Man Kai openly claims Zhou taught Lin and Lu the "same school" of martial arts that was later combined with the aforementioned seventeen other schools to create Mantis fist. However, he believes Mantis fist was created during the Ming Dynasty, and was therefore influenced by these eighteen schools from the Song. He also says Lu Junyi taught Yan Qing the same martial arts as he learned from Zhou. Master Yuen further comments Zhou later taught Yue the same school and that Yue was the originator of the mantis move "Black Tiger Steeling Heart".

Styles

Widespread styles

There are several styles of Northern Praying Mantis, the most famous of which are:

Seven Star Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 七星螳螂拳; pinyin: qī xīng tángláng quán). This style is the original form of praying mantis kung fu and is widespread in the Shandong Province and surrounding areas. Luo Guangyu (羅光玉) is famous for having passed down this style to Hong Kong and other parts of Southern China, where it is still practiced today. Seven Star is considered by many as the 'hardest' of the Praying Mantis styles, however it still utilizes soft-hard principles and is classified as a soft-hard style.

Plum Blossom Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 梅花螳螂拳; pinyin: méihuā tángláng quán). One of the oldest among all Northern Praying Mantis styles, it is widespread in Shandong Province, Jilin, Liaoning and South Korea. It traces its lineage directly from Li Bingxiao (b.1700s) to Zhao Zhu to Liang Xuexiang (1810-1895). Liang Xuexiang was the first master to use the name of Plum Blossom. Liang Xuexiang's disciples, mainly Jiang Hualong, Liang Jingchuan, Sun Yuanchang, Hao Hong and Xiu Kunshan are responsible for popularization of this style in the 20th century. In the early 1900s, it heavily influenced the development of Taiji Mantis of Cui Shoushan and Wang Yushan, Taiji Plum Blossom of Hao Family, Taiji Mantis of Zhao Zhuxi and Babu Mantis of Wei Xiaotang.

Taiji Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 太極螳螂拳; pinyin: tàijí tángláng quán). Today this style is represented by two distinct lineages. The first one is that of Cui Shoushan and Wang Yushan and is based on Song Zide and Jiang Hualong's Plum Blossom teachings in Laiyang, Shandong Province. It is popular in Laiyang, Yantai, Qingdao, Dalian, North America, Russia, France and Spain. The second lineage can be traced to Sun Yuanchang's Blum Blossom, who was yet another disciple of Liang Xuexiang. Its most famous progenitor is Zhao Zhu Xi, who is said to have taught (both directly and indirectly) thousands of students during his lifetime in Vietnam and Hong Kong, who have since spread to all corners of the globe. He was given the Cantonese nickname Chuk Kai, meaning "Bamboo Creek", for a famous battle he fought with bandits at that location. This style has since become prevalent in places such as Korea, Hong Kong, Vietnam, and North America.

Taiji Plum Blossom Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 太極梅花螳螂拳; pinyin: tàijíméihuā tángláng quán). This style is, historically, a combination of two different lineages of Mantis: Taiji Mantis and Plum Blossom Mantis. This style is widespread in Yantai, Qingdao, Beijing, Dalian, Harbin, etc. What is now called Taiji Plum Blossom traces its lineage to Hao Lianru (郝蓮茹)—a disciple of Liang Xuexiang, his sons Hao Henglu, Hao Hengxin and his grandson Hao Bin. The later three combined both Taiji Mantis and Plum Blossom in the early 20th Century, creating the current style. Hao Lianru's five sons have since spread the style elsewhere. This style is well-known for its large, two-handed sword, and for being somewhat 'softer' than Seven Star Praying Mantis.

Six Harmony Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 六合螳螂拳; pinyin: liù hé tángláng quán). Known as the 'softest' or most 'internal' of the Praying Mantis styles, Six Harmony was passed down by Ding Zicheng (丁子成), whose students taught in Shandong Province as well as Taiwan. Six Harmony Praying Mantis has a very different curriculum, with unique routines not found in other Praying Mantis styles.

Rare styles

Other, less widespread styles include:

Eight Step Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 八步螳螂拳; pinyin: bā bù tángláng quán). This style was originally conceived by Jiang Hua Long, and was further refined by his principle disciple of the style, Feng Huanyi (馮環義), which was passed down by his disciple Wei Xiaotang (衛笑堂) in Taiwan.

Shiny Board Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 光板螳螂拳; pinyin: guāng bǎn tángláng quán). Also known as "flat plate" or "hidden grip" Praying Mantis.

Long Fist Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 長拳螳螂拳; pinyin: cháng quán tángláng quán). Influenced strongly by Long Fist boxing.

Throwing Hand Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 摔手梅花螳螂拳; pinyin: shuāishǒu méihuā tángláng quán). This style was passed down by Bao Guangying from Shandong Province. He taught in Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

Secret Gate Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 秘門螳螂拳; pinyin: mì mén tángláng quán). This style was passed down by Zhang Dekui (張德奎) in Taiwan and is a variation of Taiji Mantis.

Seeking Leg Praying Mantis Boxing (Chinese: 探腿螳螂拳; pinyin: tàn tuǐ tángláng quán). Was passed down by Pui Chan, who immigrated to the United States.

Videos

Sorry, please read the forum rules to see why you can't view spoilers and why you can't post in this forum section. Thank you!

Offline Kenichi

• Otaku
  • J-Master
  • Renommée: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2008, 05:12:23 PM »
Welcome to all members who joined when I wasn’t online.

Now we need some nice signature and we can become official club. Really a shame that I have no skills in making those.

Modern Kendo truly is more sport than a martial arts. I like Kenjutsu far better. It is good thing that there are still dojos in Japan which teach ancient sword styles. I saw once how they train and it was really interesting. I tried it too but I have nearly no talent in using long swords. With Wakizashi I am little bit better but can feel that swords aren’t my thing. I am so jealous of my sister. She is really talented in using various weapons (including swords) and unarmed combat. But at least if it comes to Tonfa I am better.

wathiroth

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2008, 03:19:23 AM »
Kendo is sport but it's also a martial art. And it's pretty much up to the practitioner.

And you should eat at least few times a day until your really full! Just cook some meat and vegetables.

The old samurai schools would be nice. It's basically Kenjutsu. Some also have Iaijutsu and/or other weapons like Naginata, Kusari-gama, Yari (spear) etc. And some Jujutsu (basically, what you do if you lose your weapon).

And that kinda stuff can seriously suck, unless the teacher is both skilled and a good teacher. Doesn't need to be that great teacher, but if he's skilled, and you train hard, you'll get much out from the training. And when you train long and get to know the teacher better and he gets to know you better, it's easier for him to teach you even if he's not that great teacher and even teach stuff his students wouldn't normally learn.

Offline whitezero

• J-Overlord
  • Renommée: 39
  • añsdlfkjghoquier
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2008, 03:05:52 AM »
martial art, sports, blah i already discussed that in boob's thread.
yeah i trying to do some martial arts. Right Now i'm doing kendo(sport or martial art, i don't know) and i don't feel to quit this one. It's really fun when you start to train with other people. When i started, it was boring doing the same steps for an hour >.<
I'm thinking in adding extra weight to the shinai...

thank you guys :yay:

edit: i was trying to make another conversation...
I shouldn't said that iado was boring. It just that i don't know what do you do that in kenjutsu or kendo don't.

i just started this year so i'm a total noob. I still have problems knowing the name of the practice i'm doing.
What i want to achieve?? if i only wanted to be strong, then i should be doing boxing(maybe the next year). Be strong is one of reason of course. Since i was child, people had said i'm thin. Some people would say i have anorexia :xd but my health is good. I never though on train myself until my boss said to do it(i'm really emptyhead).
Like i said, i always wanted to do kendo. I got a part time job this year so i could paid for what i want. I don't want my parent to waste their money for me, i really hate to be dependant to someone.
I can't really say for fun. I'm really serious about practice. I even practice at home. There are two guys in our class and sometimes they just play waving the shinai like two childs. I really want to say, "if you want to play like that, then don't throw your parent's money".

ejem... what i want to achieve?? nothing really. I just want to get better.

Offline Gyfrex

• Weapons Freak
  • J-Member
  • Renommée: 3
  • Its hammer time
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2008, 03:00:42 AM »
Kendo isn't really a martial art imo, having done it myself its pretty much just a sport, I was trained to win competition fights and nothing more...hence stopped it and got iaido, which at first is dull, but like all good arts, you have to stick with it to get to the good stuff.

wathiroth

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2008, 02:15:15 AM »
How long have you done Kendo? And what would you like to achieve with it? Would you like to be strong or do you only train for fun?

Offline whitezero

• J-Overlord
  • Renommée: 39
  • añsdlfkjghoquier
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2008, 01:44:58 AM »
i'm here because wathirot told me to do it  :p!ssed:
    * Why do you wanna join? wathi told me to aaaand it can be interesting to know other martial arts.
    * Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons?) Yes, kendou for now. Like... i always wanted to do kendou but having no job, i couldn't pay for the classes. When i was kid i did some taekwondo but now i think the training was pretty lame. Maybe because kids can't do the same training than adults >_> or the sensei sucked. I was thinking in doing iaido or Kenjutsu but what i saw in youtube was boring

* What’s your favourite style and weapon? i really don't know
    * What do you think is true purpose of martial arts? train your body and mind. Trying martial arts and sports form the character. That's why i prefer activities where you socialize with others.