Funds $0 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

0%

Author Topic: The Heart of Martial Arts  (Read 63909 times)

Offline JustMax

• J-Hero
  • Renommée: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Arts Club!
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2008, 01:40:39 AM »
Hi. Joining now.

* Why do you wanna join? Practiced martial arts my whole life

* Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons?) Yes. Karate, Thai Boxing and Kobudo

* What’s your favourite style and weapon? Well my Karate style is Wado-Ryu. Odachi's my favorite weapon tied close to a normal Katana.

* What do you think is true purpose of martial arts? What else. To beat people. Though I do not approve of violence against other people, logically thinking, there's nothing fancy like achieving enlightenment by learning moves that can kill a person.

IMO a person shouldn't be bound to one style, but make it his own. For instance, I don't practice Karate or TB the traditional way, I'm making them my own style, combining them both and adding my personal preferences.

wathiroth

« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2008, 09:02:33 PM »
What style(s) do you practice?

Offline matenwego

• J-Ghost
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2008, 08:02:39 PM »
    * Why do you wanna join? I enjoy knowing more information on martial arts in general

* Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons?) No, but I do want to in the future

* What’s your favourite style and weapon? Don't have a favorite style, weapon wise I enjoy swords from broad to scimitars.

* What do you think is true purpose of martial arts? To attain self awareness and focus, but that is what I think

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
  • Renommée: 152
  • Bad habits always pay off in the long run
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction For the Masses
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2008, 08:06:19 PM »
What I'm saying is that there's styles that are called "self-defence styles" like Krav Maga. Also "hand to hand combat", used by military. That's not martial arts. And when I said that strikes and kicks doesn't make it martial art, I meant that not everything that has strikes and stuff is martial arts, it takes more than just that. And it's not that martial arts teach "self defence", but it's up to you for what purpose you use it. Sports are sports, and self-defence styles teach you how to protect yourself. Martial arts are not sports. There's even martial arts, that doesn't even teach you to make any kind of contact with your opponent, but if you learn it you can still use it for fighting.

What I'm saying is that there's styles that are called "self-defence styles" like Krav Maga. Also "hand to hand combat", used by military.That's not martial arts.<-- i guess its not.

And when I said that strikes and kicks doesn't make it martial art, I meant that not everything that has strikes and stuff is martial arts, it takes more than just that.<-- No arguments there.

And it's not that martial arts teach "self defence", but it's up to you for what purpose you use it. <-- i think i mentioned that.

Sports are sports, and self-defence styles teach you how to protect yourself.<-- really -_-

Martial arts are not sports.<-- martial arts are a discipline.

There's even martial arts, that doesn't even teach you to make any kind of contact with your opponent, but if you learn it you can still use it for fighting.<--yup.

wathiroth

« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2008, 01:09:29 AM »
Self-defence isn't martial arts. <-- i never said it was, just that its a part of them.
What I'm saying is that there's styles that are called "self-defence styles" like Krav Maga. Also "hand to hand combat", used by military. That's not martial arts. And when I said that strikes and kicks doesn't make it martial art, I meant that not everything that has strikes and stuff is martial arts, it takes more than just that. And it's not that martial arts teach "self defence", but it's up to you for what purpose you use it. Sports are sports, and self-defence styles teach you how to protect yourself. Martial arts are not sports. There's even martial arts, that doesn't even teach you to make any kind of contact with your opponent, but if you learn it you can still use it for fighting.

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »
The question isn't what's the meaning of the word. The question is what's the meaning of martial arts. And if it includes punching and/or kicking doesn't make it martial art. Self-defence isn't martial arts. It doesn't matter what "martial art" means, but what are those martial arts.

Between a migraine and a hangover my minds having trouble with this today. so bear with this

The question isn't what's the meaning of the word.<-- Understand

The question is what's the meaning of martial arts.<-- i believe the meaning of martial arts is as varied as those who practice it.

And if it includes punching and/or kicking doesn't make it martial art. <-- i'm not really sure why that would effect it at all, different styles call for different types of strikes.

Self-defence isn't martial arts. <-- i never said it was, just that its a part of them.

It doesn't matter what "martial art" means, but what are those martial arts.<--what?

wathiroth

« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2008, 10:55:43 PM »
The question isn't what's the meaning of the word. The question is what's the meaning of martial arts. And if it includes punching and/or kicking doesn't make it martial art. Self-defence isn't martial arts. It doesn't matter what "martial art" means, but what are those martial arts.

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »
It's an English term. English language is stupid, and it doesn't matter what they mean. But self-defence is self-defence, it's not martial arts. Of course in martial arts you learn how to defend yourself. Self-defence styles are Krav Maga etc. Combat Sports are Taekwondo, Judo, Boxing etc. I wouldn't call wrestling combat.

if its an English term and English is a stupid language(which despite it being native to me i have to agree) then why should it matter to you if anything is a martial art or not? just a question.

Aside from that, The Israeli one is most decidedly self defense. all i'm saying is that there are martial arts styles that are in themselves self defense. I'm not saying that martial arts = self defense or anything like that, just that they are often very much linked.

Also defense v defence...i had to look that up on wiki.... right both ways depending on which country your in...

Must be off i have to upload some stuff to Piratebay before breakfast...

wathiroth

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »
It's an English term. English language is stupid, and it doesn't matter what they mean. But self-defence is self-defence, it's not martial arts. Of course in martial arts you learn how to defend yourself. Self-defence styles are Krav Maga etc. Combat Sports are Taekwondo, Judo, Boxing etc. I wouldn't call wrestling combat.

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
Self-Defence styles aren't martial art. I myself wouldn't call combat sports martial arts either.

How long have you practiced Kendo? How much have you used bokken? Ever used iaito or katana?

ADDED.

i think self-defense can be a martial art. what exactly is the definition of martial art after all? to quote wikipedia(god only knows how good an idea that is...)

"The word 'martial' derives from the name of Mars, the Roman god of war. The term 'Martial Arts' literally means arts of war. This term comes from 15th century Europeans who were referring to their own fighting arts that are today known as Historical European martial arts. A practitioner of martial arts is referred to as a martial artist."

So the arts of war, which in reality is attack AND defense. i guess its all a matter of perspective but for me i think it is. Also Combat sports, what exactly do you define as combat sports? fencing? boxing? wrestling?

to answer your questions a few years now, around 4. While i own a couple katanas i've never practiced or performed with them. Bokkens on the other hand i have a few times.

wathiroth

« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »
Self-Defence styles aren't martial art. I myself wouldn't call combat sports martial arts either.

How long have you practiced Kendo? How much have you used bokken? Ever used iaito or katana?

ADDED.

Offline Hiddenkaos

• Noob Eater
  • Forum Donator
  • J-Highlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2008, 08:22:26 PM »
    * Why do you wanna join?
                 Because it exists and i can....

* Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons?)
              Yes, Kendo mostly, though i havnt had the time lately to get to many practices...

* What’s your favorite style and weapon?
            Kendo and Shinai respectively.
    * What do you think is true purpose of martial arts?
                I Guess really that depends on the style...While most are based on self defense or defending others, some are more violent. as to the True purpose...unless you can go back and ask the founders/creators of each of the forms and styles, i dont think you can really know for sure...

wathiroth

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »
Joe added. G-Man will be added after he answers the questions.

G-Man

Offline dman20051

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »
i like to join as well !! :)

Offline Joe_the_sexy_one

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2008, 12:20:31 AM »
isn't it a style?
oh well then i'd say BJJ then

wathiroth

« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2008, 03:50:17 AM »
Grappling isn't martial arts.

Offline Joe_the_sexy_one

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »
I'm not talking about that, I mean the normal training. I just wanted to know if they got some better training methods than me. And in the question there was what's your favorite style and weapon.

oh oh sorry.. i like grappling more then anything else

wathiroth

« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2008, 04:38:05 AM »
I'm not talking about that, I mean the normal training. I just wanted to know if they got some better training methods than me. And in the question there was what's your favorite style and weapon.

Offline Joe_the_sexy_one

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Arts Manga
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2008, 01:33:28 PM »
Answer these question, if you wanna join (plz submit request via reply or via pm to me):

Why do you wanna join? i've always been fascinated with the different forms of martial arts.

Do you practice martial arts (if yes than are you practicing only unarmed or also with weapons)? i don't think boxing counts but i'm did muay thai and currently i'm training in brazilian jiu-jitsu.

What’s your favourite style and weapon? i've never tried fighting with a weapon.. the closest thing would probably be paint ball (if you consider the paint ball gun a weapon)

What do you think is true purpose of martial arts? i think its a form of expression and self discovery.. like how much do you know about yourself if you haven't been in a fight..

Posted on: September 06, 2008, 09:21:57 pm

Oh yeah. How do you make your wrists and other joints stronger, since you do all kinds of locks and stuff? Mine used to be in really bad shape, and they're still not probably healed.

try taking glucosamine + MSM pills.. worked for my knee

wathiroth

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
What does a big island in Hawaii have to do with either my posts or martial arts O_o
no, we don't have it on this island 
What island might that be?
i live on the big island in the state of hawaii

Offline seriphin

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2008, 05:41:57 PM »

What does a big island in Hawaii have to do with either my posts or martial arts O_o

wathiroth

« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2008, 06:40:23 AM »
I'm glad I don't have to live in Hawaii...

Offline bigilandboi

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2008, 05:42:25 AM »

wathiroth

« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:56 AM »
Bleh, I need to make another martial arts info...

Offline seriphin

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »
Yes the one and only =)

wathiroth

« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »
Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu? Masaki Hatsumi style.

Offline seriphin

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »
I study Bujinkan Ninjitsu =)

wathiroth

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2008, 05:36:14 AM »
What martial arts do you practice?

Offline seriphin

• J-Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2008, 04:03:21 AM »
Ohh I would like to join this club too =)

wathiroth

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2008, 03:10:42 AM »
What island might that be?