Funds $54 | Needed $150
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

39%

Author Topic: What kind of files do you get from Japanese P2P software?  (Read 280 times)

Offline nikolamef

• lemyrCafYH
  • J-Recruit
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
What kind of files do you get from Japanese P2P software
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 06:47:47 AM »
As I said in another post, once I  find a book I like, I read another one from the same author and another one until I find one I don t like or I get to the end of what he wrote. I also most of times start two books at the time,totally different because I have the choise every day which one to read according to my mood./align

Offline pizzagateisreal

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of files do you get from Japanese P2P software?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive answer!

I found haruka-yumenoato.net while reading other posts on JCafe but it's nice to know that's one of the main sites that's uploaded to first. I'm pretty sure the digital version of Shounen Jump and other magazines is released around 5 days after the paper version is released. For example, the One Piece chapter in Shounen Jump 2017年6号 was scanlated by Mangastream on 2016年12月29 but the official release date of the digital version was on 2017年01月07. Sites like http://manga-spot.com/ sometimes upload raws before Crunchyroll can translate it; I noticed that happening once with UQ Holder.

Thanks for providing the statistics on the P2P software. I'll give Share a go later on.

Offline mdmdmd

• J-Recruit
  • Renommée: 49
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of files do you get from Japanese P2P software?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:54:25 AM »
I never followed P2P scene when it comes to ongoing manga, but during last ~8 years (back when big busts started happening) there's been a major shift to DDL sites and digital raws. 10 years ago all tankoubon raws and chapters were uploaded to Share first and they were all paper scans.

Nowadays, new raws are uploaded on haruka-yumenoato.net and then spread to various other DDL sites. For example Shounen Jump always gets uploaded the moment digital version is available, which I believe is the same day paper version is out. Early Korean and Chinese scanlations are coming out probably because they have people who can get the magazine before store date either by being a part of the supply chain - there was such person arrested not too long ago: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-18/2-arrested-for-uploading-the-seven-deadly-sins-manga-to-site/.95507 - or perhaps even hacking the online stores.

For LNs, depends on what you're looking for. For older series you only find paper scans, because they were scanned back when digital distribution wasn't a thing and nobody bothers to provide digital versions if available. When it comes to new ones, it could be because of lack of DRM tools (the DRM itself probably isn't that hard, there's not enough technical people to make tools for every store) or exotic formats - some sites like Honto don't provide .epub for all books, they use formats that only work with their readers like .lvf or .book, so even if you remove the DRM you still need to figure out the book format.

Amoeba I checked out, it doesn't have many original scans and definitely no magazines or light novels. The network is pretty slow, barely any new files. Winny is still popular according to this report: http://www.netagent.co.jp/product/p2p/report/201501/01.html but last time I tried it I didn't have much luck.

Share has a good search engine so you don't have to run it to check what's available but it's down right now: http://keydb.telegrip.info/

There are private forums like UGCity where a lot of raws that don't make it to DDL sites get posted, but it's hard to get invited.

To sum up, P2P networks have been phased out by DDL sites that remain the best source of new raws for the general public.

Offline pizzagateisreal

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
What kind of files do you get from Japanese P2P software?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
Can someone give me a rundown on what the piracy scene in Japan is like? I hear they punish it pretty harshly so it's pretty hard to find raws. From what I understand, scanlation groups have someone in Japan that scans recently released manga chapters and sends the scans directly to the scanlation group. Are there other outlets where recent scans get posted onto that the general public can access? Perhaps with a P2P software?

I installed Perfect Dark a while ago and I thought it was rather underwhelming. What do people mainly use Perfect Dark for? It seems as if most of the light novels and manga raws that can be found on Perfect Dark can also be found on sites like dl-zip.com. That said, I can see Perfect Dark being useful if the links are dead.

Also, I noticed most of the light novel scans are taken with a camera/scanner and not the digital ebooks that can be purchased online. I was wondering if there was an outlet for official ebooks and if not, is there a reason why people avoid uploading it? Is the DRM protection too hard to crack? Or does each purchaser of an ebook get a slightly different/unique version of the ebook with some kind of signature or a stenographically inserted identifier that would reveal who uploaded it if they decided to share?

Finally, considering how I've found Perfect Dark's library pretty lackluster so far, what other P2P software should I try? Winny? Amoeba? Share? I hear Amoeba is pretty new, and I'd try it out but I'm put off by the fact that it recommends you to use an enterprise HDD since it creates a 50GB-250GB cache file that will wear down your HDD. If someone's tried Amoeba, can they show me what kind of files are on there? I'm mainly interested in getting raws of ongoing manga series like Shokugeki no Soma shortly after it's released in Japan (and before it's scanlated by Koreans, etc) or the official ebooks of Light Novels.