Funds $0 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

0%

Author Topic: On the use of Spaced Repetition software for learning languages  (Read 334 times)

Offline josejoestar

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
  • Oh Noooo!
    • View Profile
On the use of Spaced Repetition software for learning languages
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 08:45:51 PM »
Ever since Hermann Ebbinghaus discovered the exponential behavior of human memory decay, we have had the opportunity to learn concepts in an optimized way. However, this has gone unnoticed or ignored by the sub-par academics that control the educational systems of the world.

Fortunately, if one is to employ such strategies nowadays one always can, and should, use software tools for this. Such tools are called Spaced Repetition Software or SRS for short.To give an example, languages greatly benefit from this approach due to their huge vocabulary lists that one must master.

Let us now look at a couple of examples

Anki - One of the best by far in my opinion, but requires the user input words by him or herself which can be tedious

Duolingo - Minimalistic but with curated vocabulary lists, making a great first step for any language learner

Memrise - Conceived by a world memory champion, but severely lacking in execution. Uses mnemonics contributed by the community which are terrible for the most part. I would not really recommend this service

Supermemo - One of the first SRS and developed by the discoverer of the SM-2 algorithm used almost universally by other software systems

Do any of you know of something better? I'll be happy to know about them.