Funds $0 | Needed $120
Like the community? Enjoy reading manga?
Then click on the small donation banner! Thx!

0%

Author Topic: is it important if RWBY is considered an anime or a cartoon?  (Read 517 times)

Offline moe_moe_hu_huuu

• Boobs in Space
  • J-Master
  • Renommée: 19
  • Somewhere in space, in a cocaine-covered orgy dome
    • View Profile
Re: is it important if RWBY is considered an anime or a cartoon?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »
I don't understand why this is such a contentious discussion in the cadre of the animation industry considering it's a fairly simple one. First off, stylized art isn't the primary consideration in determining whether something is 'anime' or not like many believe; that, in the grand scheme of things, is rather superficial. Simply put: 'anime' is defined by Japanese culture which is in turn informed by language, history, customs/traditions, fashion, pop culture, art, and every other thing that makes Japan Japan.

Yeah, there's a bit of outsourcing to outside countries (notably, South Korea and China) nowadays to offset the increased costs of HD production, but the artistic vision always stems from the Japanese. And yeah, there are legitimate grey areas like Cybersix or Neo Yokio, which I wouldn't jump down anyone's throat for calling them anime or not because it's not worth the grief.

But in the end, you can't divorce Japan's identity from anime and manga, even in cases where there's far more western than domestic appeal like Trigun or Cowboy Bebop. The people who create these works are Japanese, are imprinted by Japanese culture, and will in turn imprint that identity into their work, like every other artistic endeavor out there. Saying these things aren't important nuances takes a profound, awe-inspiring level of intellectual lethargy. If anyone's going to go around calling Avatar anime, they'd just as well designate Birdman a Bollywood film. Because what's the difference, right? They're all just moving pictures in the end.

I know there's going to be folks itching to call me an 'elitist', so I'm just going to preempt that by disclaiming that this has fuck-all to do with quality, and everything do with recognizing what 'anime' is, who makes it, and where it comes from.

I do hope I've overused the words 'Japan', 'Japanese', and 'anime' enough to underscore my point./cheekybastard

Offline Jodeatre

• J-Starter
  • Renommée: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »
It seems abit less childish to say your watching anime rather than cartoons imo but thats about it for my opinion on the matter.

Offline Valthore

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 01:42:57 AM »
No. In the end both are just names given for animation and doesn't entail any inherent quality or lack there of, due to being called one or the other. At most the disconnect stands because of the aim to an audience it (originally) seeks to entertain. Cartoons to the west with wide appeal. Anime to Japan, but incidentally appealing beyond just that. As to where RWBY fits into this, it touted itself as being western made Anime. A title that just meant it was a western made product that appealed to western watchers that liked things that were aimed originally at Japanese watchers. Messy as that may be, all of this is to say that at most calling RWBY Anime is just using the word Anime as a buzzword to drum up hype for an animation made in the west. It's equivalent to calling Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt a Japanese made Cartoon, its a ploy to hook in Japanese watchers who like western Cartoons.

It especially doesn't matter because of the rise in western involvement in anime and cartoons taking influences from anime, muddling up the line between the two. Eventually arguing whether something is an anime or a cartoon will be meaningless as they'll aim for the same audience.

Offline syndrathequeen

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 11:37:09 PM »
i think it up to you lmao

Offline mimshipio

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:31:01 PM »
IMO, in order for something to "be anime" it has to WANT to "be anime". From what I've seen of RWBY all of the "anime=ish" stuff was window dressing for a very american story. BTW the only Japanese animated series that I don't think are "anime" are the second half of Big O and Gundam ZZ (the OP is literally called this is not an anime). Just my take tho

Offline andchn4

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »
Don't mind what people consider it to be. Enjoy it if you enjoy it lmao

Offline fastreader

• J-Starter
    • View Profile
is it important if RWBY is considered an anime or a cartoon?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 05:25:08 AM »
for a long time the debate “what is the difference between anime and cartoon” has split the animation world. some say the difference is the style, and some say the difference is where the series was created.
The series that stood above all else in this fight (beside Avatar) is RWBY. some say this series is an anime, while others say it's a cartoon. while both sides have good points each, my question is: what does it matter?

Anime and entertainment in general has evolved a lot since it was a few years ago- those days everyone from everywhere can watch (almost) everything with no restrictions- and people can watch and love more than thing.

so in this glories age of animation- what does it mean if an animated show marked as an anime or a cartoon? is someone out there looking on a show and thinking “that show looks great, but it’s an anime\cartoon and I like cartoons/anime so I won’t watch it?”

I think fighting over those kind of things is just a waste of time, and we should focus on the more important things- the series itself that we enjoy to watch/

what do you think?